1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANYBODY EVER USE ALCAN PRIMERS????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    a friend of mine, inherited some guns, a reloader, and roughly 5,000 alcan primers. he said these primers are from the 60's. he sold them to me for $10.00. he thinks they were a hot primer. anybody ever use alcan primers? where were they located?

ANOTHER QUESTION- when a shooter passes away, how long should it be before you inquire to purchase his equipment? a guy at my gun club passed away, one guy went to the wake and asked his wife if he could purchase her husbands mec reloader?????? i think this was very insensitive. a week after he passed away, someone came to his house unannouced, and spoke to his wife and offered to purchase his guns. what do you think? what is the proper time span?
    steve balistreri

2. ALLIS-CHALMERS

ALLIS-CHALMERS TS Member

SENIOR SMOKE:

$10 for 5k Alcan primers is one great deal.......I also inherited 5k Alcan

and was able to come up with some very nice loads..........what are you able

to load? I have some old Lyman manuals, this is where I selected my load,

and might be able to supply some info; most of my Alcan loads used Federal

paper however I am sure there are others........... let me know what your

prefered oomponents are and I'll check the manuel. By the way as a

youth I loaded Alcan "caps", god I hated caps.....primers were

infinitly easier...........

As a note my favorite load was: Fed paper/Alcan primer/PB/WA12/1.125 shot;

soft shooting/very mild recoil...

Regards post mortem shooter supplies...........anything less than 1 month,

unless requested, would seem rather tacky to me....some people have no sense

of propriety.

Regards

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- The primers would most like work well but there is another way to use them. I believe you would have no difficulty trading a box of the old Alcan primers for a box of new Winchester primers. I would like to have a box of the old Alcan primers to help me remember loading with paper/felt wads. I don't know if primers can be shipped via US Mail easily, but if they can, I bet all of your Alcan primers could be traded in one day on this site.

Pat Ireland

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Again Pat, you're showing your age. I'll betcha 98% of the computer literate ahooters on this site never loaded an Alcan Maxfire 220!!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They were the same or a little more heat than the old Federal 209. I would wager the CCI 209M is the same or even a little hotter.

Once you used them in Federal papers the hole was too big for other primers and you had to stay with the Alcan.

Fiocchi made them.

HM

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Don't I remember that Alcan primers became Cheddite? In Re contacting the widow for purchasing "stuff," I'd opine the most decent thing someone could do would be to make contact rather soon and offer to assist the widow in selling anything related to the guns and gear at fair prices for her; assuming she wants to sell any of it. Of course, the early bird may get the worm but he'll always be one ugly duck....Bob Dodd

7. coyote_198

coyote_198 TS Member

Hey Senior Smoke I've loaded lots of Alcan primers, still have lot's of Alcan wads. I'll trade you a box of 100 Winchesters for a box of Alcan's.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly about the primers but, in my will, I have designated one of my trusted friends to be responsible for selling my gun collection. It was specified that he do his best to get fair market value for my guns and, in return, he gets 5% of the proceeds.

Naturally he can have the right of first refusal for anything he may want but I trust him enough to stick him with this task.

I have heard of too many guys gloating about how they just about "stole" valuable firearms from recent widows.

Smash Em,

Jerry

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Before you folks jump on us for buying out a friend's collection from his widow, shich I have done more than once lately (Showing MY age), consider this. The friend may well have told her to sell stuff at give away prices and throw in stuff for free if she is not in a financial bind. This is what happened to me after a lifelong friend succumbed to cancer.

After I bought all his stuff, his grandson told me that Ed had told his wife to sell the stuff to me only and to basically "give" it to me.

BTW, the "Max Fire" was my favorite primer the first decade or so I started loading shotshells. Good primer.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Loved them, used them for years! Even had buddies to save the plastic inserts for me too. I glued together a small room divider for my loading area, really neat looking too! Long gone but not forgotten. Hap

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello again:
    thanks for all the info. another friend of mine wants the alcan primers. he feels they were the closest to the old federal 209 from years ago, maybe even hotter. he gave me winchesters in it's place. just to let all of you know, the guy who asked for the mec reloader at the wake, was chewed out at the gun club by a few shooters. he purchased the mec grabber reloader from the wife. she also gave him powder, wads, empties, bushings, a few bags of shot, etc. the reason he was chewed out by some members, we also found out, he purchased a browning 4 barrel skeet gun w/case, old style bt99, and field grade model 12.
    have no idea what he paid, he won't say. i can't prove it, but i'll bet he got everything for $1,000.00 or less. this same guy last summer, had an elderly gentleman ask what a certain perazzi was worth. he told him 1/3 the real value, and then he purchased it from him. every sport has it's chislers!
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

The Alcan 220 Maxfire can be loaded with the same data as the Fiocchi 616, they are the same except that the newer F616 are not the 209 size. The Alcan's are slightly over sized. I've chronographed then and they produce similar velocity's. Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alcan primers