1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody ever use a Game Ear

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by warren, Jul 10, 2013.

1. warren

warren Member

I'm hard of hearing, high tones from trapshooting, and I've heard that a game ear works well has anyone here had experience with one?

warren

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have one of the quad microphone Walker Game Ears and while I've never shot trap with it on, I have shot rifle from a bench under a roof and found it to be quite effective in blocking that kind of gunfire, which is a lot louder than a shotgun out in the open. The only thing I don't like is that they make every squirrel in the woods sound like a deer stomping its way toward you!

Ed

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The ones I tried just made "everything" louder, still couldn't separate speech----- still in the drawer. Same results with hi-dollar units, maybe just "my" hearing. Good Luck it's frustrating. Ross Puls

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Do they also raise the ambient noise floor?

5. JPM

JPM Member

I've been hard of hearing since I was medevaced from VN in 1965. Been using Walker headband style hearing protectors for the past 5-7 years. They are hot in the summer but they seem to work as well as anything else that I have tried.

JPM

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Like Average Ed I wore a pair of the quad mic and was impressed by how much they turned up the volume on every sound out there.

7. warren

warren Member

I've been told they are just as effective as the expensive ones I think I'll give them a try. The price is right

warren

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have used the Game Ear 2 and they worked well. The foam plug gets a high NRR.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought and primarily use my Game Ears headset while handgun hunting during deer season. I wanted something that would block the ear-splitting crack of a magnum handgun while not cancelling out other sounds like earplugs do.

Ed

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's exactly what I'm thinking, Ed. I have a .223 handgun I bought for coyote hunting, but it's 9" barrel is painfully loud.