Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anybody ever taken the washers out of their PFS?

4K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  skeet_man 
#1 ·
Anybody ever completely disassembled their PFS? I shot in heavy rain 2 weeks ago, and I still have water oozing out of my PFS. I think I got most of it out with an air compressor just now, but I wouldn't mind taking it apart, cleaning the inside and all the washers, restacking the washers, and reassembling (I've been shooting it with absolutely no maintenance for 6 years now). I know if you turn the lock screw out far enough, the washers will come out all on their own, hopefully someone has a game plan on how to do this without ending up with a face full of washers, and a sequence for restacking them.

#28 ·
Skeet_man. They probably will last a lifetime if they do not sustain damage by incorrect assembly or operation.The PFS should never be operated without tension otherwise the stack will be compromised. With oily or dirty springs always make sure the tube is clear of springs before re-assembly.Oil is a contentious subject...very little very light..Ballistol perhaps ? I notice your pic shows a bent spring. However common sense should prevail. PFS will work perfectly well with a few missing springs ...do the calculation !!!
Yes the one with the thicker rod. The 'bearing' may well be Delrin but it is too short. It should be a minimum of 2 1/2 time rod diameter. You have been fortunate perhaps. Patent no. US005410833A dated 5/2/1995 available from www.freepatentsonline.com is an enlightening read.
My contribution is meant to help it should not be construed as a rant against the PFS ,a device which is invaluable for those who really need it. SteveB

#30 ·
Thunder- It had some sort of oil on it to begin with (which I believe was the source of the funky smell). I've never put anything on it (the only thing I ever did was put some silicone on a rag and wipe it on the stainless rod, the stock was a little sticky when I first got it), which leads me to believe that they put something on it @ the factory. I didn't put very much on it to begin with, and blew it off real good w/ the air compressor, so there's virtually nothing left on the washers at this point anyways.

#34 ·
Unless a problem arose that was directly caused by me removing the washers (IE if I had to send it back to re-do the washers, or any damage that was caused if I restacked the washers incorrectly), I would expect not. Their website lists, "Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser against manufacturing defects" with no caveats.

That being said, there is really little that the warranty would be useful to me for anymore, and any manufacturing defects would have shown up within 6 years I expect. There really isn't too much that isn't user serviceable or user replaceable on these stocks with a little ingenuity. In fact, I've been toying with the idea of removing the bellevilles completely and putting an air cylinder in there like the g-squared/air cushion stocks have, but I don't think there's enough room as-is, and would require some new parts be made from scratch.

Either way, I imagine I saved enough by performing this service myself to cover any work that may be necessary down the line that I can't accomplish myself. The only thing that I can see that might need work down the line that might be difficult to DIY would be the bushing on the bottom tube. I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it. The newest gen of that bushing is brass, mine is some sort of brass and plastic assy.

#35 ·
skeet_man , I still think the washers are likely stainless steel. Belleville washers are available in 17-4 SS. They will stick to a magnet and could even rust. PFS specs list aircraft aluminum, 17-4 SS and composite material. They are not aluminum or composite so has to be SS, they wouldn't make that slip in the spec list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.