1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Else Thinking The Ammo Shortage A Scam?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just curious who else thinks the whole ammo shortage a scam...I know there was a legitimate shortage for a while with hoarding and also large contracts straining the supply output...but this has gone on long after the panic has died down,...I really think that the ammo companies and/or distributors are holding out for the purpose of gouging us while their warehouses are filling up again while starving retailers...I'd really like to see/hear proof that this isn't the case...anyone??

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

When everybody and their brother is buying every gun and all the ammo they can get there hands on, there's going to be a shortage. You have millions of first time gun owners, and every gun shop in the country has been picked clean.

Realistically, I think the timeframe from beginning to end of this shortage will be comparatively short. We're only about 6 months in, and things are already getting back to normal, and barring any future events, I think we'll be back to mostly normal by mid to late summer.

I believe every manufacturer has been turning out product, and getting into the hands of their distributors as fast as they possibly can. It would be utterly foolish to do otherwise. Everyone is smart enough to know the panic would not last forever, and manufactures and distributors would be STUPID to hold onto a product that they MAY be able to sell tomorrow, while denying the sale of a product that they CAN sell today.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Personally I believe we are between the "return to normal" and "fear" stages of the bubble.

4. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

I certainly think there is some hanky panky going on, buy who's gonna fess up to it. No one on the Hill can remember chit about anything. All have selective amnesia. When some powders are available from a few of the innerweb sites, they don't charge gouging prices to us shooters. I have a thread just a few lines up or down, depending on where you read this called "where all our powder is going". Dudes are calling it all fresh powder, which means they bought it recently, and also means they know diddly, cause I'd shoot 10 year old powder before some fresher powder if I knew the fresher powder was not stored correctly.

ANYWAY, guys are getting $280 for an 8# jug of 700-X, and dang close to that for milsurp pulldown powder. Someone hasn't got the memo to these guys yet.

5. jharryfrey@att.net

jharryfrey@att.net Member

I AGREE WITH SKEET MAN. I GOT A FLYER FROM NSSF AND THEY TELL ME THAT GEORGE SORROS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHORTAGE AND THAT IT IS BECAUSE OF THE FEAR BILLS THAT DID NOT PASS OUR CONGRESS THAT CAUSED EVERYONE TO GO OUT AND BUY EVERYTHING IN SIGHT AND THAT A LITTLE A PATIENCE AND IT SHOULD RETURN TO NORMAL

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Local stores are starting to have more center-fire rifle ammo on the shelves at more or less reasonable prices -- 10-15% more than same time last year.

I just bought a mixed case of .308 (7 boxes of 150 grain and 3 boxes of 180 grain) Remington Core-Lokt's for $195 + $20 shipping which averages out to $20.15 per box.

A month ago the same supplier was getting $30+ a box - when he had them.

Pistol ammo, from what I've seen, is still over-priced when you can find it.

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that the NICS check system is getting over 400 hits a minute, every hour, every day. That's a lot of guns being sold that need a lot of ammo. S&W is reporting another banner year with sales up over 40%?

I don't think the ammo shortage is made up, but it may have caught the manufacturers off guard. Ammo is something you really can't make in a hurry.

My shooting is down because I'm conserving, but I have always taken advantage of the sales and stockpiled for decades. I don't think it well ever get back to what we knew as normal, but prices will come down. When Hillary and Much-cele are elected in'16 it will just start all over again.

Kip

8. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Calvin -
    "I really think that the ammo companies and/or distributors are holding out for the purpose of gouging us while their warehouses are filling up again while starving retailers..."

I don't believe you have ever looked at a cash budget of a high volume/low margin manufacturing company. It's a make and ship environment. Those warehouses don't exist.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is simple, go to sportsman warehouse on friday when the ammo comes in, people are lined up at 6:00 am ( they don't open until 10:30. The ammo is gone by 11:00. I know a lot of shooters who never kept much of a supply but are now spending every dime they can save up on more ammo. Partly from fear but also from an investment point of view

10. rw993

rw993 Active Member

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/is-the-government-buying-all-the-sierra-bullets-so-that-there-are-none-left-for-customers/

Here is a link that will clarify the "government" hoarding

RW

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

This ammo shortage is just like the gas shortages of the 70's, BS!
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

12. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

I was told this week that the manufacturing company that makes Hodgdon's powder brunt to the ground. So I can under stand why your not seeing that powder.

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

This is an internet rumor (Hodgdon fire) that I wasn't able to verify. I'm sure Obama started it. (The rumor and the fire). :) Mark

14. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Yesterday in Rochester, NY the shelves were full of Win and CCI 209's, Federal and CCI pistol primers $30/K and .22LR at 6 cents/rd.

Lots of smiling faces, too.

15. lwr_

lwr_ Member

The supply has stayed the same or slightly increased. The demand has gone through the stratosphere (sp?). When demand goes back to normal the shelves will fill up again with a steady supply at or below pre-panic prices. Many thanks to Wal-mart for not raising their prices during the panic. When they get ammo in it is priced at their normal below suggested retail price. I go to Walmart every Sunday before heading to church and have been able to find enough 223, 45, 9mm, and 22LR to keep me happy and shooting. Yes, you can only buy 3 boxes at a time right now but that will change when demand goes back to normal.

16. rivercityjeff

rivercityjeff Member

Buyers are panicking. Heck, even Demoncrats are buying ammo!

17. willing

willing Member

DB Question: Do you buy 308 by the case usually?????
    Bill

18. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

With more than a bit of industry insider knowledge, I offer you the following explanation.

The vast majority of the shortages can be attributed to new participants entering the fray. Unprecedented numbers of new shooters (...and people who won't shoot regularly but want guns & ammo now) have stretched the limits of elastic demand to the point where the fixed finite production simply cannot meet the demand. It is simple economics driven by emotion, in particular the political and world climate.

The rumors of the DHS thing and speculator flippers are but a drop in the proverbial bucket. The world market on commodities used to make ammunition has been greatly affected by emerging market growth..like the number of cars being sold in India, as well as countries like China hoarding metals thereby artificially creating demand and inflating the price.

The Gun Salesman of the past 5 years is sitting in the Whitehouse. The recent even in London has sold *a lot* of guns here in the states.

Loading equipment is specialized, especially rimfire which is a highly manual process to begin with. The plants have been running three shifts up until just recently, as the workforce is starting to be worn thin from the demand. It does not make business sense to invest in a huge capital outlay to set up more loading machines to accommodate an ephemeral blip like what we are experiencing. No bank would loan it it, anyway.

It will get better. Most companies are filling orders placed 8-12 months ago. In the meantime, shoot a little to keep your skills sharp and do some fishing this summer.

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

I did read somewhere that Remington is building a $31,000,000 addition to it Loneoak Arkansas ammo plant

20. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What do you know, an internet rumor that turned out to be true. (see link) Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.