1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else shooting their shotgun in the air on

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Anybody else shooting their shotgun in the air on New Years?

I'll be at Raahauge's in Norco around 10:30 on Friday. Join me?

http://www.raahauges.com/

[​IMG]

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

My daughter is a Detective with the LA PD.....she says lots of folks in LA will be shooting guns in the air tonight. That's why they suspended the sales of ammo in LA city a week ago.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'll be goose/duck hunting tomorrow at dawn.....

Curt

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>>Why not give the anti's more to chew on...

Ummm, I'm going to the sporting clays range on Friday at 10:30am to shoot a round.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Please do not do it in Arizona, they have a law against it because a girl got hit and killed by a stay bullet some years ago and they will find you and make you pay ... Look it up, Its Shannons law and people take it real serious ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Happy New Year everyone, everywhere ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

We were in Texas last year for New Years Eve. I read in a Dallas Newspaper that there were over 1500 reports of gunfire in the city. We were in San Antonio and I didn't hear any gunfire. ( must be a quieter place). I sometimes go out on my back deck and fire off my cull trap loads on July 4th. Maybe I'll blast a few 45s tonight. Larry Evans

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Saddam Hussien used to do that but they drug him out of his hole & hung him....

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

They hanged him. Clothes and meat get hung, people get hanged. Stupid grammar rule. Back in the 80s I was living in LA. At midnight you heard full auto fire, literally hundreds of handguns going off, shotguns, you name it. Cops and Fire guys parked under over passes for several minutes until the shooting died down. It's much quieter now. maybe people are learning.

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

The local indoor range will not sell ammo to anyone not using the range today. It's hard to find handgun ammo anyway around here, let alone waste it for new years.

Jerbear

10. smp005

smp005 Member

I wouldn't randomly fire anything into the air but if I wanted to it certainly wouldn't matter that they stopped selling ammo a week prior...

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I make blanks by priming a few hulls and filling them with 2F black powder then crimp.

Sound like a small cannon...but are harmless...also about a 4 foot flame from the muzzle.

12. soup

soup Member

IN PHILADELPHIA ,

Where my Father was born in 1905 & where I was born it was -THE WORD IS WAS-a big tradition . The folks who put on the parade on New years day were called " New Years Shooters "

It is NOW AND HAS BEEN OUTLAWED FOR MANY MANY YEARS. THANK GOD . STILL IN A CITY AS BIG AS PHILLY-WHERE I NO LONGER LIVE- SOME dope shot in the air a few years ago and killed a young man on his front step-never caught the guy -but he has to live with himself.

PLEASE DON'T CARELESSLY DISCHARGE LIVE AMMO IN THE AIR AT MIDNIGHT. Use a blank or better yet go to the fireworks display.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year

BILL

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am not aware of any ATA registered shoots that begin at Midnight on Jan. 1, so I guess I will not shoot then. It is fine to cheer a little before midnight because VA Tech really took out Tennessee last night.

Pat Ireland

14. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Was going to shoot this morning but the thermometer said 12 degrees so we decided to wait till A warmer day.
    Roy

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Anyways........the REAL New Year began September 1st.

John C. Saubak

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yep...shot my gun this morning....

A good day afield!

Curt - Delaware

[​IMG]

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When Kuwait was liberated many Kuwaitis shot their guns off in the streets of Kuwait City. About a dozen people were killed by falling bullets. Oops.

I used to fire my 45-70 at midnight on New Years, but not in the air, down into the garden. The area around me has urbanized and I haven't done that for years, even though illegal fireworks are the norm. Last night was like an artillery barrage. If I was out in the country, like at my mother-in-law's, I'd probably shoot off my big boomer cartridge rifle, a .50 cal Winchester 1885. It's boom rolls through the hills for miles.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- Looks like you has fun. If I were to go goose hunting I would do it a little differently. With a few slices of old bread, I can have the geese in Virginia fighting to grab it out of my hand. I would just hit them on their head with a stick. This type of hunting can be tricky. It is very difficult to keep your feet out of the goose droppings, and the droppings are large.

For 10,000 years Canadian Geese migrated. But in the last several years, most stopped doing that. Must be Global Warming.

Pat Ireland

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Pat ...its the new electronic age...they call ahead for the weather.."What? snow in Texas??...be damned If I'm going to flap my arms for a week

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

http://www.emsresponder.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=11605&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+emsresponderrss%2Ftop_ems_news+%28EMSResponder.com%3A+Top+EMS+News%29

Maybe this tradition should stop, or just use shotguns,,,,Prayers to the family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.