1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else have problem shooting mixed box.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by himark, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Just was loading up some grey AA and have some red AA also have a bunch of the gold nitro's... When shooting and every shell is a grey then all of sudden there is one red that got in the batch does that throw you off? i swear i must have some sort of "Monk" disorder cause if they are not all the same color your going to miss with the one odd ball! Just was wondering if this is common among others or my wife is right and I am just stange. :)

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I load 7/8 #8 1/2 ounce in black remington cases, 1 # 8 1/2 ounce in red AA cases, 1 1/8 ounce #8 in green cases. I know what I have by the color. I am not upset as long as I know what the load is.

3. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

If you shoot a broken target and have to shoot it over does your spare shell always match? A very good shooter told me if you let little things like that distract you then you are not concentrating on the game at hand.
    Allen

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Only when in competition do I pay any attention to that sort of thing only it has to do with using hulls not reloaded more than 2 or 3 times. If I get a really old hull in a box of shells I use for competition I do think about it some but I usually don't miss because of it. I miss because of every other reason I can think of.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

save the rainbow shells for practice.

6. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I save uglies and weird ones to shoot for practice. I don't try to dismantle them because it is only practice. I usually have a couple of strange sounding ones, but they usually break targets. Sounded like a blooper and the target still breaks. NOt for competition, but OK for practice.

Mike

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

himark

A little "OC" may not be a bad thing, but too much is too much! I don't worry about it and use the odd stuff for practice. I mix Win AA reds and Remington Greens and make believe it's Christmas! I'd worry more about whether I inhale or exhale when I pull the trigger and that a box of 25 is NOT an even number, so you need to change the game to accomodate those of us that are OC challenged. Watch out and don't stand on the cracks while you shoot either. Step on a crack...Break you mother's back, but miss the target?

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Rainbow's work practice or score.

I genrally try to stay with one hull, change hulls with new loads or components.

Some of the best scores I have shot were with Mixed up rainbows were avery color truly was a differrent load! did not really want to do it the first time I just ran out of time to get started loading, to poor to buy enough factory shells, and just had to throw enough shells to gather to get to the shoot with!

Besides I wanted people thinking " who is this clown" instead of worrying about thier own shooting! kinda levels the playing field!

Al

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

A shell is a shell is a shell as long as it is not a dud the color or the content doesn't mean a thing to me.

Bob Lawless

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

himark- I , like you, only put one color of AA shells in a box. It just seems to be the correct thing to do for me.

Just as important, I coordinate the order I shoot the shells in each row of the box. My first shot from post four will be the fourth shell from the left in the row. When on post two, I begin with the second shell from the left in the row of five shells.

And, I must have the first shell for each 25 placed in the gun so that the top center of the writing on the brass is aligned straight up.

Other shooters only think about seeing each target well and keeping their head down. They do not consider the color of shells and coordinating th order that they shoot the shells in the box. I enjoy watching these shooters in the shoot offs at the end of the shoot.

Pat Ireland

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

When my daughter was younger she boxed shells for me, often when I wasn't around. My shells were boxed many colors and in many patterns. Often there was a note in the lower layers. "Having a nice day dad" or "Hope you haven't missed any yet" "Love you" Things like that, gosh I miss it!

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Big Az Al and Ivanhoe both think like me in regards to color/type of shells.

I shot my best score with a mix of reloads (really old ugly ones and once-fired, and mixed-color hulls), new AA HC greys, new AA light target loads (red), a few Nitros, a few Federal Gold Medal light 8's, and quite a few STS shells. They were just what was left over of what I had in the truck. I shot a 99 out of a hundred.

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

To me it makes no difference. At times I have different brands( Gun Clubs & AAs)but if it takes your mind off the target thats a different story.......Roger

14. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Roger is right...if you are easily distracted (like me) it is best to avoid mixing shells of different types as much as possible. Regards, Ed

15. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I once shot with a guy that had to make sure that REMINGTON was right side up, at the top of the shell, when loaded in the gun. He would wait until it was his turn to shoot before loading his gun, slowed down the squad, to the point others wouldn't squad with him. I used to throw a couple of AA in his pouch, he would throw them at me and cuss, but always miss his next target. I only did this to him when we shot practice, never during competition, but I would always make sure to shoot a rainbow when squadded with him. He soon stopped shooting with me.

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

IF the contents are the same? What matter does color make?

I shoot all colors of hulls.. but all have the same componets. Its a mind game.
    Are you strange? Arent we all? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.