1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anybody else break the handle on their mec press?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Psycho, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Am I the only one to break the handle on their 9000 press? Please let my know if you have, what model, how many times? Thanks

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Years ago, I broke the handle off my old Grabber ... replaced it with a PW 800C !

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sure did. 9000GN and 8567 Grabbers. They crack at the bends. Seems to be a common problem if you use the press a lot. I keep a couple on hand, since they are only around ten bucks. Never had trouble with the older presses, but didn't put the volume through them either.

4. oz

oz Active Member

I broke mine on a 9000g. I now have a ponsness warren. oz

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I just replaced mine, tried welding it but was to much out of line.

I did not know but it was bent before it broke, hitting the top of the turrent, causing all my problems.

When you order your new handle get new linkages also.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ahhhhh, the difference between stamped parts and machined parts! My 366's are just getting better by the day.

ss

7. psfive

psfive Member

I never let the gorilla load on my press. When it hits the bottom of the stroke I stop pushing. Thousands and thousands of rounds never had a problem. Paul

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Never use that much force. Stop & check your loader,don'k keep forcing it. Somethings out of kilter.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you meet resistance when operating your press, stop, find out what is wrong. Correct it, and continue reloading. HMB

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

It's not a good idea to drink while reloading. AJ

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nope, never broke a handle......but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once!!

Curt

12. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Yep,,shor' did,,broke one, MEC replaced it, broke that one had that one welded, and a friend gave me one, so now I have a spare. over about 2 yrs, about 35,000-40,000 rounds.
    Norman

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

you mean like this one??

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Frank C

Zacklee!

Notice the sharp bends and the possibility of stress risers. I've never "forced" my presses, but the newer ones seem to break, eventually. My older presses never had this problem. Maybe a design or material change? Flex a cheaply made handle 50,000-100,000 times and lets see if it stands up. Mec might need to investigate this and see if it warrants some redesign. If a new handle cost five bucks more, but lasted 500,000 rounds, I'd gladly pay the difference. When they fail, I change the pivot hardware and appropriate linkage parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.