1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Anybody drop shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EJ555, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EJ555

EJ555 TS Member

Wondering if anybody still makes thier own shot? If so how well does wheel weight ingot lead work? I have 5 buckets of ingots and am still buying shot - seems kinda dumb to me. What would you do if were in my shoes?
    Thanks,
    Earl
  2. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Lots of threads about this. Do a search. Then buy a Steward shotmaker. Lots of video's on U-tube about shotmaking. You have a lot to learn. It's an art.
  3. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

A 5 gallon bucket won't get you far in the shot making area,a good shot maker will go through that in a short time, hope this helps
    Chuck
  4. dhip

dhip Active Member

I drop shot,great rig for bass on Lake Champlain

Doug H.

ps :couldn't resist,lmao
  5. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i do shot for lead trades,where are you located?? if you want to get into shotmaking,jim stewart is the way to go,not a plug & play process,but it is rewarding when it runs.just built my 3rd complete set up(over a 6 plus years peroid)and have always used jim stewart shotmakers,when its running consistant at 80-90 lbs/hr,youll know why im happy with with his shotmaker,my new cooling tank will hold 300-400 lbs per run/at 60 degrees coolant temp,first month(got new black max feb 4th)have run 1000 lbs,with less than 3 lbs of scrap after sorting,lead is the key,wheel weights only= prefect running,start mixing soft,or unknown lead into ingots,all bets are off on what youll get,any questions,call me,mark jones
  6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Find someone like plinker and do a swap!!! You would need atleast 500 pound of lead(got at dirt cheap price) to justify buying a machine. I was doing small swaps last year but found myself makeing shot every Friday I had off... Now I got it narrowed down,to minimum of 200 pds I am not fireing up for 50pds,or sucking lead fumes.

Its ok when youve got it running right but if you get unknown lead and it gets plugged then you have fun coming cleaning it out.

Youll have to figure out what you want to do lead isnt as easy to get as it used to be.

Jerry Lewis
  7. WTW

WTW Member

Unless you can come up with a good steady suply of wheel weights don't even think about making your own shot. I do it for a hobby and I have trouble finding lead. Like said above wheel weight are the only way to go.

Ted
  8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

I was going to do more of shot dropping but the space I had to do it in now has hay bales. Once they are gone I'm going to start up again. You have to be 25 or better feet up from the barrel you are dropping in. You will be surprised how far out you barrel has to be from shot maker at that height. Meaning it has to be from straight down with a plum the barrel has to 3 feet out from there.

With the smaller shot you can do it at that short of a heighth. You also have to watch the temp. To cold will be just as bad as to hot. It has to harden before it hits the water or you will have popcorn shape shot. Not good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.