1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody doing Crossfit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My daughter started doing Crossfit last summer and has been doing quite well with it. The guy at the gym offered to include me in her membership so I gave it a try and liked it. It reminds me of farm work. I haven't been this fit in a long time and I feel great, sleep great and eat well too.

They make you take a two week fundamentals class which is important so you don't hurt yourself. Then you just start attending on your own schedule. The workout is different EVERY day and never the same twice. Trainers are there to help and the people are friendly. I thought I was going to be sore, but it's more like a mild soreness all over instead of unbearable pain in a few muscles.

My workouts are scaled WAY down, but no body cares. Everybody is there for fitness and I like how they support the Paleo diet where you eat 'like a cave man'. That fits right into my history: meat, vegetables and some fruit. That by itself is a good way to live.

My new motto: Eat like a cave man, work out like a farmer and study like a grad student. (the study part is a spin off of my interest in electronics which turned to physics, but that's another story.)

I'd recommend Crossfit to anyone and look forward to seeing how it helps with my shooting this year. Spring is near!

Has anybody else tried Crossfit? What's your take on it?

Joe

2. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Hey Joe, I have done Crossfit for about 2 years. It's awesome! I also eat "Paleo". I have competed in several competitions and done well, but could not hang with the big dogs:0). I just got done working out tonight and will be headed in tomorrow to do 13.3 at 9:00 a.m.. It looks like a beast. 150 wall balls, 90 double unders and 30 muscle ups, 12 minute cap on the workout. To be honest I am pretty sure I will not make it through 15 of the Muscle ups?? I don't know to many that have completed it?? Do you have any before and after pics. I have a friend that went from 275 fat to 215 super lean and super strong. It is amazing what it can do for you.

Best of luck with your workouts. Make sure to pre-hab, warm-up, cool down and drink plenty of coconut water after your workout :0). Best of luck with your workouts!

Bryce

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have a buddy who started about two years ago, he dropped about 30 pounds of fat weight and then started taking a testosterone supplement which is prescribed by an M.D. He has put on some serious muscle, it is working for him!

4. joe kuhn

13.3 is a bit over my head, so I chose to do the other WOD. We did 1000 meter row followed by a timed 3 rounds of 25 pull ups and 7 push presses.

My pull ups are off an 8 inch box and my press weight was only 42 pounds. As I said, I'm scaled way down, but I'm 59 and old enough to not care what others think. These folks are very gracious; they've all come from couch potato type existences so they are actually encouraging.

5. joe kuhn

Bryce - I'm not doing the before after picture. Sorry. I can see and feel a difference and that's what I'm after. I just want to feel good and be in some kind of shape as I approach 60 years of age which is next year. The competitive level is way too high form me. I'm not in it for that. Gotta stay in my current trouser size.

Gym director understands and keys on your individual goals. My attitude overall is up because I feel so good. And I'm able to handle the stress of home and work so much better. It's a full plate, but the time spent working out is worth it. I don't feel so overwhelmed. One heck of an alternative to anti-depressants.

6. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Joe I thing that is awesome and congrats on your progress. It is great that you scale the workouts, most are to proud and just end up hurting them selves in the long run. For me it is 90% diet and 10% the workouts. When I eat super clean the workouts take care of themselves. When I eat bad the workouts can get rough. It is a good way for me to relive stress, I come out of the workouts feeling good.

It sounds like your working out at a good gym where they actually listen to the client and scale accordingly. Congrats once again and best of luck!!!

Bryce

7. eperry

eperry Member

I never heard of this before this thread. I googled it and there a about 5 gyms in my area. I am setting up an appt to check it out. Thanks for the info

8. joe kuhn

Bryce - thanks for the tip. Daughter is cooking Paleo, but doesn't quite cook enough. We need to work on that. I help her by purchasing whatever she thinks we need and cleaning all the dishes. I have trouble following recipes exactly, according to her, so my participation comes before/after the prep. Seems fair, but she is way ahead of me in workouts.

They encourage scaling, but leave it up to you in terms of when to increase. They say I will know when to change up. I just went from a 25 pound kettle bell to 35. Traps were sore the next day, but kept everything else scaled where it is. Good thing. I'm finding Mon/Wed/Fri to be perfect for healing and growth. It's slow, but I can see differences in the mirror and the feeling. Wow. Had to skip a Friday and was very disappointed. Went Sat instead. I voiced that I hate pain so the trainers adjust what they tell me.

Another plus is there's always at least one trainer there to help and ask questions of and they don't charge extra by the hour for the help. It's included in the membership, although you can get private assistance for a fee.

Hoping this impacts shooting as I have had to start up gun lifts mid winter in the past years. Gun lifts now seem like a piece of cake.

Joe

9. joe kuhn

eperry,

My daughter loves it and is doing the 13.3 competition exercise. Didn't do too well at first, but tried again after a day of rest and did much better. There's a lady at the gym who lost 80 pounds in a year and is working on loosing more. She's very cheerful and keeps plugging away. I like that. She is friends with my daughter.

Son has a sore ball joint in his hip from skate boarding and the gym director suggested squats because it involves the same movement. He demonstrated what he meant and he's got it exactly right. Johnny then came home and asked his sister for help. Good to see teens doing something constructive.

10. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Joe, sounds like your making fantastic progress. An awesome website is PaleOMG.com. Tons and tons of fantastic recipes. Julie is super, super funny in person and an awesome person. Try not to get to carried away with the whole "diet" thing. The way I look at it is if God made it I can eat it. For instance Meat, veggies, fruit, fats, nuts and so on. I eat mainly meat, fat and veggies unless I'm training super hard then I will add in some sweet potatoes, fruit and so on. Tell your daughter best of luck with 13.3. She should pace her self on wallballs and not go all out, a good pace would be just under or over 7 minutes. Again that would be ideal, but tough for many. Double unders, again nice and steady and then one muscle up at a time. That is one thing with Crossfit many people don't pace, you want to stay just under that "i'm dead" threshold. Best of luck, let us know how she does.

Bryce

11. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Joe,

What gym are you talking about. I live close to you (Downers) and may want to check it out.

In my experience with Cross Fit...people love it, but they injure themselves a lot from either poor technique or over doing it. I have taken care of lots of people who are having surgery as a result of cross fit injuries and my PT said he gets a lot of business from them as well.

Perhaps your gym, being more amenable to scaling has a better approach.

Dan

12. joe kuhn

Dan - it's Crossfit Naperville off of Ogden (Rt. 34) and Frontenac on the West side of town. The link above mentions scaled work outs and they mean it. I'm surprised about all the injuries. What clubs are they coming from?

Here's my daughter:

[​IMG]

And here's the three of us: wife, self and daughter:

[​IMG]

13. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Joe, Awesome pics!! That is super cool that you can workout with the whole family. That must be a fantastic for all involved. Looks like you just got done with a snatch or your getting ready to do an overhead squat?? Which ever the case you need to think active shoulder and lock those elbows out. Looks like your daughter has it down perfect. For a lot of men it is a flexibility thing, both elbows and shoulders. I like to get the the gym about 30 minutes early to phone role, stretch and torture myself with the lacrosse ball.

Another awesome site for mobility is mobilitywod.com. Congrats once again on your personal and family endeavor. Both are rare in todays world.

Bryce

14. joe kuhn

With current flexibility, I have to move my hands all the way out to get the bar over my head with elbows locked out. Now that is real 'active shoulders' as you say, because that is where I feel it. Some moves with weights are deceptively complex, but I just keep working with the trainer of the day.

Did a 200 meter row in 41.7 seconds last night. This is just a little competition between the folks at the gym.

Birthday party for my daughter at the gym on Sat for lunch. Burgers, etc. She has a lot of friends at the club which is a great plus.

15. joe kuhn

Some gyms are better than others. This one is careful, very careful, about injuries members may already have. The trainers make it their business to know problems you bring in and work around them. And they don't push you to injury. That's not smart and that's not what this gym is about. If you're old, like me, they're not going to put you up against a 26 year old and push you to keep up. Instead they encourage you to scale down to a reasonable level and let you figure out when you should increase. You may end up working out next to a 26 year old, but you're routine is adjusted so you finish about the same time. Everyone accepts this. This is a great gym. I feel great. I'm meeting my goals and I like it. 34/32 pants still fit and I'm filling out the shoulders in my shirts more. I can sit at my desk job all day with no back pain. I just wish the weather would warm up so I can get out and shoot...

16. joe kuhn

Traps were sore from lifting so I felt a little shaky on the line, but shot well first time out. 23, 23, 23, 25. Attention deficits on those first 3 rounds. 50 degrees here in IL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.