1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody cook brats in an oven?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by handlepuller, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Definitely an okay way to do it. I usually put onion and beer and cook them that way. Can be grilled for a few minutes afterward to brown if you want. The color isn't that appealing when you cook them in beer.

Some advice for your beans. Don't just open the can and heat them. Add extra bacon, onion, brown sugar, molasses and mustard then bake/crock pot them. So much better!

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Parboil the brats for 10 minutes, brown in the broiler, and serve the next day in a Nesco floating in beer and onions. PUrists will sneer at pre cooking but it's a necessity in this case.

Works for us. Use Johnsonville if you can get them. They have a "Stadium" brat that is already pre cooked and very tasty.

HM

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The old lady down the street who lives in a gingerbread house tried to cook a couple of brats in her oven, with tragic results.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I could think of a few Brats from that school bus issue I wouldn't mind putting under the broiler

5. schneep

schneep Member

1. Par boil brats the day before in beer and onions, keep in a beer solutiuon over night in the frig. then finish for a few minutes on the grill.
    2. Buy brats from a local butcher shop, never Johnsonville or any other large meat processor.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

We always get our sausage and brats from two places...Ostrowskis in Baltimore or once a year from the Masonic temple sale

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

grill them quickly, on high, just to brown them the day or two before (bag'em in the frig). Then put them in a big deep aluminum roaster pan filled with Sour Kraut and let them bake. Perfect topping for a brat and bun - and self-serve.

Kip

8. halfmile

There are a lot of different meat producers making Bratwurst.

Quite a few are precooked, and look like gray skinless weiners in blister packs. Avoid them like the plague.

In this neck of the woods the best commercial Bratwurst are Usinger, Johnsonville, and Sheboygan. the Dairyland Classic Motorcycle race at Plymouth, Wis has grilled (not precooked) Johnsonville that are to die for, served on Sheboygan hard rolls (kind of like a Kaiser with tiny seeds on top and lower profile).

Sheboygan are precooked and finely ground, and the best of that example. For almost any kind of sporting event you will probably do better using precooked or pre cooking your own.

My local Piggly Wiggly store has a meat department that makes fantastic Brats and Italian sausage. they are the exception rather than the rule, I know where their equipment and recipes came from, and they have been around for 50 years.

Brats are like good whiskey, you need to search till you find what you like the best.

Oh, and then there are the other German sausages..........Mettwurst, Knockwurst,............

Now I'm hungry.

HM

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

johnsonville brats or school bus brats?

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Brian- Thanks for a good chuckle.

BTW, for some reason every time my eyes scan over the threads and I come to this one, for a second my brain things it says "Anybody cook bats in an oven?" and I have a brief "what the" moment LOL.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Halfmile,

Did you ever get brats from Maplewood meats in the Green Bay area? The cheesy brats are delicious.

In Wisconsin you would probably be scorned if you said you cooked brats in the oven. Here we cook them on the grill no matter what time of year. Like has been stated above brats do not look very appetizing without some brown charing on them. Jon

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

halfmile,

I wanted to go to the Dairyland Classic so bad this year, but too many commitments for me to make it. I can imagine what those fresh brat's tasted like. Yum yum.

I do fully intend to be in the stands at Lima this Saturday night.

ss

13. halfmile

Shucker, cool. Lima is a good cushion track. If you ever get the chance go to Greenville, Ohio. It's a trotting horse track with long straights and deep cushion. Very fun to watch.

Jon, Maplewood is very good and also pricey. When deer season is on they make venison sausage for the hunters and if your boned out meat has a single hair on it they won't take it. A friend owns the machine shop nest door.

Go North to Brookside and check out Melotte's. great product and fair prices.

And people wonder why trapshooters are fat.........

HM

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

It just so happens that I put 6 brats and 6 Itallian sausage in a serving pan this morning in the oven. It's so much easier to do it this way. I preheat the oven at 400 degrees, lightly grease the pan with Pam, and place them in for 50 minutes turning them over after 25 minutes on each side. That's all there is to it. No previous boiling, nothing.
    Steve Balistreri

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Oh, you fellahs up North. Just boil 50 pounds of crawfish with some ears of corn and potatos.

16. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

No, most of the time, a good whippen did the trick for my kids.

17. halfmile

crawfish are good but I think the fat content is low. My doctor wants me to keep the cholesterol above 1000.

HM

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't beat a good crawfish boil. You make up for the lack of contained fat by dipping them in butter! Beats a brat fest any day.

For Brats in quantity, I like to hang a cage full of them in my chimney smoker and cook them for a couple hours. They come out with a nice skin but the fat is mostly mobilized out without burning. Next best is the light grilling followed with a saurkraut steam as described by Kip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you bake johnsonville brats
cooking brats in the oven
cooking johnsonville brats in oven
how long to cook brats in oven

how to cook johnsonville brats in the oven

johnsonville brats in oven

johnsonville brats in the oven

johnsonville brats oven