1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody build their own gun cases?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

Im considering making myself a case. Im always looking for a little project and thought this may be fun, that and I cant bring myself to spend $150+ on heavy cardboard, fake leather, and velvet.

Any hits, suggestions, plans out there people are willing to share? Thanks, Rich

2. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Buy yourself a Warwick Aluminum case. It's much easier, well made, and will probably fall in you budget.
    Sonny

3. guncase

guncase TS Member

That is kinda how I started building and selling gun cases. I wanted one for myself, didn't want to spend a ton of money.
    I decided that Birch 7 core plywood would be light and tough for the frame. I dovetailed the corners and used 1/4" 4 core for the side panels , glued it all together then used a good foam covered with a velvet material fitted to the inside with only a barrel channel divider for ease of fit. Even that was a choice as some velvet will rub the bluing off your gun. Then , on the first cases, I used a naugahyde material to cover the outside. Just wasn't tough enough. I later started using a Dupont Cordura material cause it is soooo tough. Put brass color corner guards on and sew thru the board and Cordura to make it super tough.

Still building them the same way 18 yrs later!! No cardboard here!!

Now, you can build your own,, or buy one of mine with all the experience that we have gained in these years for only $120.00!! Paul @ WARWICK GUN CASE CO

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

http://www.mcmaster.com/

5. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

When I was a young buck I took the hide of a very hard earned buck to a local boot maker and he made a killer gun case out of it . Jay

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Check Cabela's. I just bought a double take down case, airline sturdy, for $168.00. It is pleanty big enough, well built and the hinges, wheels, etc are very impressive.

JON

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I priced the components and gave up, Paul's case is an unbeatable bargain.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I thought about it once...I know I could do it but bought a Browning/Pelican Travel Vault and never looked back!

9. scott k

scott k TS Member

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/scottk66/scott052.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/scottk66/scott051.jpg

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto on the Browning Travel Vault! Not a looker, but then not meant to be.

Jay

11. ryvpete

ryvpete TS Member

I would not waste your time, buy one of Paul's gun cases. The Warrick case is strong and extremely well built. I have the Al case and it was one of the best investments I've made. Still love it after 4 years. Paul can build a custom case or he can configure one of his standard cases to meet your needs. Great guy, excellent shooter, and fantastic gun cases.

Bust'em All!!

12. honorable mention

honorable mention TS Member

Mac-1911 I also have a Weinig Amer Style on a 3200, which has a length of pull of 15.5 in. (The longer the stock the larger the height). The stock fits in Paul's single gun case, also in his double gun case, also in his combo case, will not fit in a Browning combo case, also will not fit in KX-5 case.

OTNOT: Pauls double gun case will probably fill you need, will accomodate two stocks and three barrels.

Yes indeed; I consider Warwick cases top notch and reasonable priced.
    Alas; I do not receive a discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was disappointed that Paul could not attend the Okla State Shoot, which starts TODAY. I shall journey tomorrow to attend the shooting lessions!!!!!!!!!
    Warren J Roberts

13. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks for the input guys, I think I may try my hand at it, but probably a winter projet.

ScottK - I should have expected you made a case, it looks great, is it heavy? Im just waiting for you to post a thread on making your own trap gun, thats about all you have left to build right?

-Rich

14. scott k

scott k TS Member

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/scottk66/scott047.jpg

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

WARWICK GUN CASE CO. Have 3 of them and you simply can't go wrong.

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

hahahahahaaa ... years ago I built one. Did a job and had most of a sheet of walnut veneer 3/8" plywood left over. I had enough ffor the top and sides, so used plain plywood for the bottom.

Stained and varnished it, brass fittings, and even gold leafed my name on top.
    It turned out gorgeous! But with 2 guns in it, you could barely lift it... so it has been sitting under the bed for about 20 years!

17. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Paul`s Warwick cases are made in USA by an American. Is Cabella`s case American made or Imported from......?

18. richrob

richrob TS Member

Bringing it back up, checking for new opinions/ideas.

19. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Made a couple, cost me more to make than what I could have bought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.