1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody build their own gun case??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I'm thinking building a wood combo case for my trap gun would be a good winter project. Has anyone built their own? Pictures would be great. Plans, even better. Thanks for any input.

JON

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I've made several. Made double cases for my sxs's. Doubles for my trap guns.
    singles. Seems like everytime I make one someone wants to buy or trade something for one. The ones I have now are getting well used.

I don't make drawings cause each situation is different so I just start out buy deciding what is want and add as I go.

I live in a woods full of hardwood so if I have a tree blow down or have one starting to die out I have a friend come in with his portable mill and slab it out. I air dry my wood in a heated building in the winter.

I have a nice wood shop in another part of the building and wood working is part of my hobby. b12

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

Uh-oh, i feel i am being pulled by this invisible force, a force that i have no control over, one that is causing me to inquire with b12 as to how much one would expect to pay for such a finely crafted piece of gun furniture for say, a Citori and a BT99 in breakdown mode.

4. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Have a look at this guys cases.http://www.hueycases.com/pages/home He is considered to be the best right now. He is also not cheap and he has a serious waiting list. some of his cases go 5 digets, $$$$$.

Also if you do a search for guncase building you will come up with a bunch of ideas for doing it. There are some step by step instructionals out there for the looking.

Nothing hard about it, it is basically building a box. The box can either be divided up into compartments or you can make form fitting openings for all the stuff.

I have been considering getting into it for a while now because I have several guns I want cool cases for, My Browning .22 Auto being the first. I can't bring myself to spend $200+ for a proper Browning case for that gun when I know I can make one that is better for next to nothing, $30 tops.

The hardest thing to figure out is where to buy the coolest hardware. You can buy usuable stuff from your local hardware store, but if you want combo locks and cool handles you have to sus them out. Really the hardest part is choosing the best hardware for your particular tastes. Everything else is very simple basic wood working.

Randy

5. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

I dont have plans but made one a few years ago. I used 3/4" by 4" thick oak wood for the sides and 1/2" thick oak ply for top and bottom. Hardware included a piano hinge, two lockable clasps, and a carrying handle.

Routed the bottom of the sides to receive the bottom ply flush. The sides of the top were covered with oak wood strips to make them look nice; the top was routed on three sides to make the edge smooth. Inside I sued some padding to accommodate the contents. Finished the box with a few coats of stain and polyurethane.

The only issue I have is the weight of the box - so don't make it any larger than is needed and see if you can use thinner/lighter materials.

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Wow! Those Huey cases are something else. Great ideas there...

JON

7. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Huey cases are great. He's been doing it for a long time and knows what he's doing. The leadtime is not always long, I got lucky and was next up when I dropped off my guns. Price will run in the thousands so be prepared. I think the $3,000 range is likely but you are getting a case that is fit for the finest gun. In this case you do get what you are paying for. I was and am very happy with the two he made for me.

Mark Zauhar

8. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

I built one a few years back for my 1953 Browning Superposed. It has a Etchen Special stock made from BirdsEye maple hardwood. I built a matching takedown case w/ fitted foam and felt lining. The sides were dovetailed and the top and bottom were a raised panel. I ordered the hardware from Rockler I think. Brass corners, rubber feet, leather handle, and combination tumbler locks. Then stained it to match the shotgun. Works great and draws alot of attention. It's not light as it's built from solid birdseye maple, but I don't have to carry it to far. I have since bought a Warick gun case from the late Paul Sedwick and that one is much easier to transport. Paul gave me the foam inserts for my case. When I showed him the finished product and mentioned it was "kind of heavy", he just chuckled.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

$2,500 for a gun case is not my cup of tea. I've built a couple, but they were more for use than show. Not nearly as nice as what I saw at that link, but they looked good, got the job done and I didn't worry about a nick or scratch.

For me the case is utilitarian. It's there to take dings and dents instead of the gun. I can, and have built a gun case that was custom fit for a gun. Looked nice, but certainly wasn't in the class of what was posted above.

The only question is, how much time and effort are you willing to devote to your case?

10. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Apparently some oufit gave Geo Bush Sr a nice gun housed in a Huey case while he was President. When handed the gun in the case Bush took the gun out and sat it aside and spent the next 10 minutes oogling the case.

A look thru the gallery on that site will definately give you enough ideas to keep going for some time. The guy does nice work, but I'm with others that I would never pay that kind of money for a gun case. Even if the gun inside was worth a fortune. Hell I won't pay $200 for a proper Browning Case for my Browning.22 which is in 98%+ condition. I just can't reconcile the value in doing that. Cases are utilitarian, and I use the same cases to transport many different guns to and from venues, and even though I have a Browning case for my A5 I would never buy one for another A5.

I have a Cynergy case I got here that holds my XT It was $100. I was offered several Browning cases but all were too much, so I took the Cynergy one just to have a good home for the gun. If I ever find an unsingle barrel for my gun that case will become useless and I will sell it here for $100.

I've made several fitted cases for specialized toolsets I have built for the Navy, adding billiard felt and some hardware just isn't that hard.

Mr Huey survives on word of mouth, perfection, and the ability to find and use the most exotic materials known to man in his products. His greatest asset is knowing where to get the unique materials his clients desire, and his ability to utilize those materials in classic & asthetic ways. The rest is just building a wooden box.

Randy

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Hi Neo
    I would have no Idea. The ones I sold or traded were mainly on the spot at some trap shoot. The reason I make mine because I always thought the cost is to much but when youl figure time and labor I guess it is not. I enjoy doing it so I never thought to much about the cost.
    But if a person was doing it for a living I don't think I could afford a wood carring case. I don't care for the plastic or Aluminium that is why I made my own.B12

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Randy
    Go to Rockler.com you can find all the hardware you need for the guncase. I use the combination locks for the latch and lock. If you don't see it online just email them and they we find just what your looking for. B12

13. maka

maka Member

Randy: Another place to try is VanDykes.com.

14. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

The Huey case is truly a presentation case although Huey does say some of his customers use them for every day use and travel with them as well. He said he had one returned by the family of Gerald Ford that looked like it had been on many hunts and many airplane trips. He rebuilt it to as new.

To build a case of this quality you have to be very skilled and know how make the case and lay it out. Huey uses every inch of his case to the fullest.

I'm very happy with mine. I do haul the guns around alot but they don't leave the motor home very often.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Rockler will have what you want, but they are the most expensive place out there. Most of the hardware you'll need can be found at Home Depot, Lowe's or your local Ace.

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

So anyway I decide to do a search for gun case hardware, What comes up?

"Randy, go to Rockler.com,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I guess TS.com is out there in the real world, huh? It took Google .02 milliseconds minutes to find the link to this thread.

Randy

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

depends on the density but 1" thick plastic slabs are going to weigh a lot.

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Thought about it once, but realized I couldn't build one tougher than the Pelican Gun Vault my trap guns live in so didn't take it any further...

19. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

It is too bad no one has remanufactured the Good Old JOHN HALL case.
    I would love too see them back on the market

20. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

It is too bad no one has remanufactured the Good Old JOHN HALL case.
    I would love too see them back on the market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best wood for rifle case

build a shotgun case

building a case for hauling shotguns

fitted gun case plans

over and under hard gun case plans

steps for building your own gun case

take down shotgun case plans
wood shotgun case plans