1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any WW2 Jap Rifle experts here?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Porcupine, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

0   0   0

A client of mine has for sale an exceptionally nice, original and unmodified 6.5 Arisaka Model 38 infantry rifle with all matching numbers, including the dust cover and mum intact. It still has the original sling and bayonet as well. I've seen a few Arisakas, but never one this nice. The markings suggest it was made in the late 1930's.

The story behind this rifle is my client's father was in the Pacific and his patrol scouted an island which had been stockpiled by the Imperial Army with a lot of weapons and ammo. Each sailor was allowed to remove two rifles and each officer was allowed to take two handguns and the rest were destroyed. He shipped them back to the States and one disappeared enroute. This rifle has never been fired since then and I'd rate the wood and bluing at a combined 90%.

Anyone also know how the cleaning rod is detatched from the rifle? This one just spun in both directions- is there a release, or does it just pull out?

I have a Fjestad Blue Book (2011), but does anyone have any idea as to the fair market value of this rifle? The client is also a friend and I want to do right by him. Many thanks for any help.

LA in MA

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

This from the Blue Book.
    JAPANESE MILITARY : RIFLES: MILITARY

Subtract 20% if National Crest (chrysanthemum flower) has been ground off front receiver ring.
    Subtract 20% if serial numbers are not matching (does not apply to sniper rifles, as they are only rarely found with matching scopes and mounts).
    Subtract 10%-40% for training rifles of each type.
    MODEL 38 ARISAKA RIFLE Add to Collection
    6.5x51R Arisaka cal., Jap. Mauser type bolt action, 31 in. barrel, adj. sight, adopted 1905.

View Historic Prices
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $625 $525 $400 $300 $250 $200 $100

If you want to sell it, call me or eamil me.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

0   0   0

Mike,

So are you saying that the Blue Book values for Arisaka M-38's are approximate indications of 'fair market value', with the emphasis on 'fair'?

Sometimes, for some items, Blue Book does not reflect what bean counters call 'arms length transaction' values. Others may call it 'street' value. That's all I'm after. Thanks.

LA in MA

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The extras(dust cover, sling, in tact Chrysanthemum) add to the collector value greatly. Along with the good condition you named, it sounds like the rifle is well above average. Most of the Jap rifles were piled up and were beat to hell before the GI's would grab em. I'm no expert, not even close. I do have a Type 99 so I had researched the rifles at one time. The unfortunate thing is these rifles just never really had the collector values many other war guns achieved. I would however think a WWII collector would be the best target buyer and would likely get the best price considering its overall condition. Collectors often exceed book prices as the "have to have" aspect takes over. Just some of my opinions. Good luck.

5. art g

art g Member

0   0   0

If you decide not to buy it and your friend wants to sell...I would be willing to pay $650 if it is all original as issued with mint bore. artgsc@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.