1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any value to a Win 1911 SL shotgun?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

This gun has a cracked stocked and forearm but metal is in pretty good shape for it's age, maybe 70 pct. It was the first of these that I had ever seen and didn't know of anyone that might collect them or if worth anything. I actually don't know how it operates yet. It appears that you insert shell from bottom? Someone traded it in while buying a new shotgun. Jackie B.

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I believe that gun is also known as the "Widow Maker" grab the knurled band on the barrel and pull down to operate the action......scary.

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

And exactly why would "that" be scary? Your hand is closer to the muzzle when you operate the slide of any semi automatic handgun.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A gun that is at its' best if not fired. There were many vintage shotshells with a warning inside the box to not use them in the 1911 Win.

It was indeed nicknamed the Widow Maker. Don't shoot the messenger.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Took one apart several years ago. We chased that 12 foot long spring around the kitchen trying to put it back in, we finally won.

6. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

A handgun slide is generally racked with the gun pointed "away from you"
    the Model 1911 promotes actuation by the butter churn method of cocking. You decide what is safer.

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

It was Winchesters first attempt at an autoloading shotgun. The "A Model" so to speak. Old aviators have a saying to never fly the A Model of anything. We had one in the house when I was a kid. After a few 3 shot bursts duck hunting my Dad threw it into Naragansett Bay. Being a young kid I retrieved it when the tide went out. Once again Dad was right. Do not take the magazine cap off!

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I forgot, they can give an unreliable double (or triple) when they get a little worn.

A full-auto recoil operated shotgun will get your attention when you are shooting a semi. LOL

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does it have any value?

Not to anyone who intends to shoot it

But surviving guns are not common

I would put it on gunsamerica- take several pictures and post there- and advertise as is

Asking price? probably $177.77

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The biggest problem with the gun.. was once the sear wore.. It often went off when you racked a shell.. If the barrel was pointed at your head???? Widow maker.. I have one in excellent condition.. Not fired on over 25 years..BUT.. if you collect Winchester shotguns.. You'll need one for the collection.. The model 40 wasn't much better.. Not until the model 50 was the Winchester automatic worth shooting.. In the old days.. the A-5 and Remington model 11 ruled the roost..

11. JRW

JRW Member

As my sign on tells you I like the gun. I have 6 of them 1 is full auto if you load it and chamber a round. I have the one my grandfather bought new. Jerry in MI

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The 1911 had to be manufactured without violating any of the Browning patents one of which was the handle on the bolt. They chose to get around it by knurling the barrel to pull it back to chamber a round. My father had one when I was a kid. To me it killed on one end and crippled on the other. Recoil seemed severe to me. My father was a great game shot and could have a Ruffed Grouse on the ground with the 1911 before I even remembered I was supposed to do something with the gun I was carrying.

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I have one that I shoot from time to time. They are a hoot to shoot a round of trap with-cock the barrel, load a round, close the chamber, fire at target, repeat. Mine has a full choke and will smash targets. It does kick some. I've never seen one of these get bought for much, usually the sellers are trying to get more then the market will pay. The A-5 was the king of self-loading shotguns and the 1911SL just couldn't compete back when it tried to. Take this gun out and shoot a few rounds-you will gain a real appreciation for the modern autoloader.

14. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I have one,and remember to measure the chamber,it might only be 2 1/2 inches.Mine is that way.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Biggest mistake Oliver Winchester ever made was not paying royalties for John Browing's A5 design and going it alone. The 1911 shotgun is a sorry POS.

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

many early ones the barrel extention would break. Have a cut off barrel and rear of extention is broke. When gun was returned to win. they sent a model 12 as replacement. Would bet it was because of the short chamber and a 2 3/4 shell

17. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Brian, the 1911SL may indeed be sorry, but mine loves me and has rewarded me with many 25's at the range. (As well as the occasional thumb in the nose).

18. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

From Winchester Gun Book. Hope you can read it.
    [​IMG]

19. pfofml

pfofml Member

Just yesterday i was watching some old W C Field shorts. One of the shorts " The Dentist" W C is wave around a shotgun. That shotgun looks very much like the Winchester 1911. Can anyone confirm this?

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1911 sl autoloader shotguns