1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Trapshooting Marathon Runners Out There?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I have trouble motivating myself to lose weight via diet alone so, despite my non-runner body, this past summer I decided to pretend I was young again and lose a few pounds by training for a marathon. After I completed the 26-miler, a portly pal at the trap club suggested that a trapshooter running a marathon was so odd and unusual that it was likely to upset the natural balance of the entire universe.

So am I the only kook on TS.com who has risked destroying the cosmos? Reveal yourselves.

-Gary

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Gary.....How long would it take me to run from Tampa to the Silver Dollar?

LMAO...

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Something tells me you're not going to find too many trapshooters who want to drive 26 miles let alone run it. Nice achievement on your part.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Two Dogs: Be a friend, you Canuck, and don't spoil the fun ;)

-Gary

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

There's a guy here who wrote a book about it.

It helped me become a better marathon runner than I was before, so I think it was worth the price.

6. crustygalloot

crustygalloot TS Member

am at this time training to run a half marathon in the spring then the whole thing later in the year. was training 3 years ago until cardiac arrest then double bypass & a defibulator got in the way. it is a long road back but am on the way again. congrats on your accomplishment! Robin

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Buzz-Gun: Who are you talking about and what's the name of his book?

Robin: Thanks and Good Luck on your comeback. You sound like a determined road warrior.

-Gary

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Marathon runners are too skinny to be good trapshooters!

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ahab: I've been called a lot of things in my life, but skinny isn't one of them, LOL.

-Gary

10. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

I wouldn't say marathoner, but when I raced MX a few years ago, I ran 5 miles a day, and mountain bike 15 miles a day, 6 days a week. Did this for 2 years straight after I broke my leg racing. I was in the best shape of my life, at 36 years old. After another bad crash with busted ribs, and a bruised lung, I walked away. Now I have problems running 1 mile, but slowly getting back into it, mostly ellipticle workouts.

11. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

When I was 42 I severed my achilles tendon and had a complete surgical repair. Recovery included some jogging but I got sucked into the voetex of running and 2.5 years later I ran the Philadelphia marathon in 3:43:12, at age 44. That will probably be my only one. I enjoyed it but my hip started making sounds so loud, people around me were asking what that squeeking noise was. ?

I was not shooting a lot of trap then (1999) but I am back into Trap now and I shoot ATA targets mostly. I attended the PA state shoot the last two years but I would not like to run very far there, as Elysburg is in a very hilly area.

I do not weigh the same as I did in 1999.

jack in PA

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jack: Wow, a complete achilles tendon tear is one of the nastiest injuries to overcome, and to do your first marathon after that is an incredible accomplishment. I salute you, Sir.

-Gary

13. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

I began running almost 20 years ago when I quit smoking. I traded the smoking habit for a trapshooting habit. I have completed one marathon, and multitudes of runs from 5K to 1/2 marathon.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.