1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Trap Combo Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Taz834, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Taz834

Taz834 Member

Son is starting to shoot youth league. Thinking about switching his semi to break open action. At 14 y/o, he doesn't complain about the Benelli Super Sport but it is kind of a light gun. Any lightweight combos? Browning XT Trap Combo seems bulky/heavy but maybe I'm wrong. Just looking for some direction. Thanks.

2. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Try the Browning Cynergy. You will hear a lot of negative comments about them, but not from people who own and shoot them.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

An XT is very good shooting and robust combo...if you can finding used is best and if you are worried about weight get a set where the O/U barrels are 30" ...32's can get front heavy...and if you desire an adjustable comb..start with a Monte Carlo and have one of the great stock techs like Tron or Ruck to name a few install one of their excellent adjustable setups that beat the factory unit hands down

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I just purchased a Beretta 687 silver pigeon trap combo from Joel Etchen guns. I love this combo. Not that much more than a browning combo. Much better handling!

John

5. flasch192

flasch192 Member

I have a cynergy combo,I haven't advertised it for sale yet but if your interested shoot me a PM , its a 32/30 with a rad 2 and different comb hardware,all work was done by Rods custom stocks,gun is 99.9 shape wise .....

6. Taz834

Taz834 Member

Thanks for the inputs. I'm hoping to get him shooting a combo quickly. I noticed some kids shooting Blaser F3 then looked up the cost. It took a while to clean up the mess from spitting out my coffee! We'll see if he gets a chance to feel out the Browning XT, Beretta 687, and Browing Cynergy from fellow shooters. In the meantime a Dad must do his duty: Shop for a gun! Thanks again!

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Go in hock and buy him an F3 combo-just like his buddies. When he finds out about girls you can sell it and recoup most of your investment. This will be a fun time in your life-enjoy!!

8. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

There's a nice looking Beretta combo 682 gold e in the for sale section by david le. Nice guns and 3k not a bad price. Dale

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Get him a gun he can shoot forever ... Perazzi MX2000/8 combo, 34" top single Wilkinson, 31 1/2 over/ under factory choked at Bore .736 Under .022 / over .033, has upgraded wood and Rod's adjustable comb in an Americase, selectable trigger ... Retail over $15,000, can buy them for $13,800, your price $8,000 plus ship and insurance ... Buy a gun once and be done with it,its not always what you pay and people forget that when the gun brakes in the middle of a shootoff ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

At 14 he's got a lot of growing to do, and will face many changes along the way that might send him down a different path. The gun he has is just fine and changes in configuration, stock, etc. are not expensive nor difficult, not to mention how many flats of shells you can buy with the thousands you're not spending on something he doesn't need, just now.

best....mike

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Joel Etchen Beretta 687 combo.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Beretta 682x Trap combos are a nice place to get into a combo set up. You can find very good quality used guns in the $2K range. These are not exactly light weight guns but they do swing well and are appropriate for the trap game.

At 14, your son is probably stout enough to handle this type of gun with no problem. He is also going to go though several more 'gun evolutions' if he sticks with the game. The 680 series Berettas are always good trading stock.

13. Taz834

Taz834 Member

Great feedback. I'm weighing all this advice so I really appreciate everyones opinons. Any pro/cons for unsingle vs. top singles for youth? Looks like unsingle are adjustable. Helpful for future room to grow?

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Whatever combo you get , make sure there is a PFS available for it. A lad of 14 usually has several more growth years & the ability to change gun fit will be a big plus.

Phil Berkowitz

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had an MX-2000 with the unsingle, I could not get used to it so I sold it and got the MX2000 with the top single ... I shot Model 12's and TM-1's for many years which probably had something to do with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. rw993

rw993 Active Member

An older "Grand America 1 or 2" Perazzi

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Border Bandit gave the best advise so far...

Many paths to go down and recommendations would vary depending on which direction your son travels. Many youth programs only shoot trap, others may include skeet, sporties or even bunker.

I would not recommend a gun without knowing more about the kid... How big he is, the program he is in, the level he is at or where he is heading?

What access to demo guns do you have to try before buying?

SW

18. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I have a squad mate that shoots an SKB combo..........he shoots it well & seems to like it a lot.

19. Taz834

Taz834 Member

My son has mainly been shooting skeet w/ me this summer for fun and he became tough competition for myself and other skeet shooters. We like to have fun w/ backyard trap shooting once in a while also. Found a youth team(SCTP) at a local club for trap for him to get a little more serious about shooting. After a few rounds of trap he got his first trap straight. They inquired about his shooting background and asked if would be interested in doing both skeet and trap team shooting. Figured it might best best to change to combo if he will be doing both skeet and trap.

I have notice the SKB combo but hesitant w/ the Made in Japan platform.

20. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Now we're making progress....

I personally would look for a Combo with a 30" flat-rib or low-profile adjustable rib that can shoot 50/50 or 60/40 for skeet (and potential other games) with a 34" adjustable-rib single.

Whether you go unsingle or top-single would depend on your son and what he feels most comfortable when trying-out the guns.

There are great deals out there on used combo's with top-singles if you look for them. Unsingles cost more as they are in higher demand.

Browning, SKB and Beretta would all be solid choices. Resale is better on the B guns if you buy new, if used, SKB can be a great value.

A gun with adjustable comb and/or buttplate/LOP are good things for a 14-year old who will grow and the gun will need to be adjusted as he grows.

Shoot them all.... FIND THE ONE THAT HE LIKES AND HE SHOOTS THE BEST. Then have it fit to him by someone that knows gun fit and then go have some FUN with your son!!

The SCTP is a wonderful youth development program... SW