1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY TIPS ON HOW TO LOWER SHOOTING COST?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago I recall shooting a round of skeet with Vic Reinders when he said "if shot goes to $10.00 a bag, we will lose a lot of shooters". Sounds funny today, shot at $10.00 per bag. A couple weeks ago after work, I drove past a local gun club and saw a shooter shoveling wads into target boxes. I stopped and talked to him about it. He said to try and cut cost he reuses wads to reload. He said the Federal 12s3's were the best to reuse as they did not shrink after being fired as much as other brands. He said he doesn't even wash them, just reloads them when he gets home.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to reduce the cost of reloading and shooting in general? Any ideas on how local gun clubs can help themselves and shooters lower the cost of shooting so more people can afford to shoot.
    Steve Balistreri

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

I wouldn't reuse wads. Shoot 20 gauge if cost is your primary concern. You can do thatfor around $3 a box using quality components.

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

The only way i have found so far is by buying in bulk, keeping an eye out for free re-loadable hulls, going to 1oz loads and the most important: stealing ammo from my neighbor : )

I am thinking of getting into shot making with my neighbor and fellow shooter.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang reused wads. Most wads i see on the ground i wouldn't run thru my loader, even washed. I guess hard times calls for extreme measures.---Matt

I just reload and shoot as much as i can and try and stay within my means.

5. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

Win the LOTO and you won't have to worry about shooting costs!!!! LOL, LOL

Billy P

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

shoot less.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Play golf---I do both and enjoy both but golf is half the cost of shooting and you walk 4 miles for exercise---A set of golf clubs is less than $600.00 used on E-Bay---My golf club dues are less than $1000.00---If you want to take a cart it is $12.00 a day---3 days a week = $36.00 When I shoot my cost per day is aprox $50.00---3 days = $150.00---K-gun=$15,000.00 and on and on---All that said I love my guns and love to shoot---Only do what you can afford---MO---MYSTIC

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

for those of us that don't reload (due to various reasons): buy shells where you can sell the hulls and recoup some of your costs.

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

It's called Mental imagery or Visualization and Mental Rehearsal to Improve Sports Performance. With mental rehearsal, minds and bodies become trained to actually perform the skill imagined. You actualy can develop muscle memory doing this without spending money. Research is finding that both physical and psychological reactions in certain situations can be improved with visualization. Such repeated imagery can build both experience and confidence in an athlete's ability to perform certain skills under pressure, or in a variety of possible situations. The most effective visualization techniques result in a very vivid sport experience in which the athlete has complete control over a successful performance and a belief in this new 'self.'

Guided imagery, visualization, mental rehearsal or other such techniques can maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of your training. In a world where sports performance and success is measured in seconds, most athletes will use every possible training technique at hand. Visualization might be one way to gain that very slim margin. (And save money!) AJ

10. senior smoke

Mystic:
    I use to golf and just gave away six golf sets to the local charity to sell. My wife and I still golf but lately I am not doing well with that sport either. Lets face the facts, a lot of the shooters on this site are "well to do" and cost probably does not really enter into the picture. Most of us are not poor, but we could shoot a lot more than we do if we could find a way to lower the cost. For me, I use to enjoy seeing and shooting with a lot of people when cost were more affordable. Today, I see people that I shot with in the past, just visiting local gun clubs, instead of being able to participate. I is hard to believe that we can not find a lower cost, suitable replacement for lead, that can be used in shotgun shooting? Like in the 1930's, the sign up lines are dwindling at gun clubs.
    Steve

11. senior smoke

Rick Barker:
    Those are some excellent ideas.
    Thanks,
    Steve

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bulk buys.

Some shooters are "giving it up". I will take primers, hulls, wads, shot and UNOPENED powder jugs. Scored a number of good buys (50-75% of bulk pricing) from people leaving the sport. Try and take everything they have as they are tired of having people pick over their stuff. Sell off what you do not want.

Look for sales and use coupons. Recently bought Gun Clubs for $4 a box from Dick's using a $25 coupon. Use non-shooting friends and relatives to cash in on limited rebate offers.

Have money set aside to make a deal. Cash is king.

DO NOT listen to the old guys. They will think you are nuts for buying a ton of shot at $25/bag. Be smart and buy two tons. The good old days they remember are not coming back.

Sell crap you will not use in the next five years to buy crap you will use.

Use reduced shot payloads for practice. It may cost you a few birds, but you can shoot more - and you have a great excuse for the occasional miss. Dropping to 7/8 oz form 1 1/8 gives you shot for 100 more shells (28% more)

Use Promo for 12 ga target loads. Great for 3/4 to 1 1/8 oz loads.

See if your club will give a discount if you buy a shoot ticket (one free round by paying for 10)

If necessary, shoot fewer rounds. Along with that, start shooting some .22's with your buddies. It is not trap but you are still shooting with friends. An $18 (or less) brick should give you 2 days of fun.

Don Verna

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

All of the above to save money on reloading and also join a club in your area that has a big discount than a non-member and so you will have to help that club but in the long run it will save you a thousand $$ per year if your a high volume shooter . Our club has a $1.50 difference per round .

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Our biggest expense is the shot. But it doesn't have to be that way. Trap ranges in Italy for example have a screen system as part of the trap range. It catches 96% of the shot which can be reloaded.

Google, trap ranges in Italy and you can see some pictures of the set up. Go to Cieli Aperti for the best view. HMB

15. senior smoke

Don Verna:
    When I started this thread I wondered how much good advice I would get. So far this is all really good advice. You as well as others really make good sense that will save shooters money as well as allow them to shoot more.
    Thank You,
    Steve

16. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

When buying bulk remember to look who has teh free/discounted shipping. As well, go together with a buddy to help your bulk ordering to achieve a better discount.

todd

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Don't shoot as often as you normally do..

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've been mental imaging (classy term for "daydreaming") my way to 100 straight for years and I'm not a heck of a lot closer to it now than I was when I started.

MK

19. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Utilize Terrys Wall Chart instead of just blowing lead into the air during random trips to the range.

Shoot fewer rounds but make them really focused.

Shoot a round of wall charttrap for every round of actual pracice, especially
    during times of bad weather.

Buy in bulk.

ed.

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I agree with using Terry Jordan's wall chart as a way to save money and still improve your shooting. Dry firing the chart 50 times a night, 4-5 days a week will really improve everything about your shooting. This includes, but is not limited to, better, more consistent gun mount, better trigger control, and better target acquisition and visualization. Just an all around great tool.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.