1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any TightWad shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

No I don't mean dutchmen, anyone using tightwad for 1 oz loads? I loaded a bunch up for 1st shot doubles, 19 grains TW, winchester primer, federal paper, DR TGT hybrid wad, 1 oz # 9 shot. So far I like them, velocity is suppose to be 1200 or a hair more and they sure dirt ball 1st bird on doubles. Another plus is it is a lot cheaper than Clays. Anyone else use it for 1 oz loads? Scott

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I do and other than the fact that it is so fine it migrates from around the powder bushing (I use a Spolar) it works well and is very consistant with the drop weights.

3. MAC33

MAC33 TS Member

I have just started using it for 16 yrd. STS, Winchester 209, DRRRT12, 1 oz #8 New magnum shot. Wanted sub 1200 load 16.8 Gr.
    Breaks are fine but scores are down compared to factory STS. Also leaves more residue.
    Chrono average, 50 degrees, throwing out high and low was 999. Did not load other grains. Also did not pay attention to number of times my STS huls had been reloaded. Hodgdon book says that load should be 1180 at 16.5. Will go up one bushing to 17.4
    According to data looks like the Federal paper is a great way to go with that powder.
    Mike

4. perazzidb81

perazzidb81 Member

I shoot it in Gold Medal hulls with fed209a primers,18 gr of tw, drfo wad by downrange. I can ink spot targets all day with them.

Tom

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good powder. And if it matters to you, its made in the USA.

I tried it for a while but like Clays better. Can't say why...

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I use it for both 1 oz and 7/8 oz sporting clays loads. Through mod chokes these two loads can take any targets within reason.

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I thought all of us trapshooters are tightwads??? BT100dc

8. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

BT-100dc,
    Some of us are tight wads and some are high rollers, seems like more tightwads though, than high rollers. Scott

9. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Anything over 16.5 to 17.0 grains with 1 1/8 they get a little punchy. I haven't a clue much I have shot but I can't remember when I started using it. Over ten years I think.

Brady

10. oz

oz Active Member

I used it (am still using it) when clays was not available. I just bought 16#'s of clays because titewad was not available. I prefer clays but titewad is excellent too.

11. Planejerry

Planejerry TS Member

I have used titewad for my daughter 1 OZ handicap loads. She shot a 99 from the 26 using titewad

12. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Planejerry, wud u care 2 share the load data?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tightwad powder review

tightwad reloading data
tightwad reloading tips