1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Thoughts on this one

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Last night at my local trap club they run a Wednesday night 50 bird shoot and use 2 houses. I ran the first 50 straight and went in to take down my gun. One of the squads going out asked if I wouldn't mind filling a hole so they could shoot with 5 on the squad. I had 100 shells with me so I said sure. First house I hit 23 which is ok second house a 10 ??? . I mean 10 out of 25 . From the very first time I have ever picked up a shotgun I have never hit a 10 . I was using factory Federal shells the ones you get a 100 for $22.00 bucks. I could not hit anything. I was on three and let the target come out it looked like I was right on it pulled the trigger and lost. I walked off 3 with a 1 ???.

Any thoughts on this one ? I'm not in shock or anything but damn nothing like that has ever happened to me before it was embarrassing. Is it possible that Federal forgot to put wads in the shells as I never saw a wad come out and I can usually see them but was too stunned at the time to think about it.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Something come loose or change on your gun, choke perhaps? Go out and try again with the same ammo and see what happens. If you're back on target then chalk it up to "S**T Happens".

Eric

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

What shells did you use for the first fifty?

4. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Nothing came loose that I know of I use a Diana Grade IM and I didn't even break the gun down. I just put it in the rack paid my money for the targets and waited for the squad to go out. It was the strangest thing and I thought I was right on the targets had my head down after the first 5 or 6 misses and nothing would break not even a chip. Very perplexing indeed. After it was over they told me they were going to post the score on the wall of the club for me. Gee thanks alot guys :). Trapshooters are so much fun. :).

5. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I used the same shells they come in a 100 box set from Federal. They are the cheap ones from Walmart.
    $22.00 for the 100. So 2 boxes for the first 50 then the second 2 for the next 50.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you haven't had the wheels come off at least once, you haven't been shooting long enough.

I feel your pain. Way too often.

HM

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You had already mentally finished shooting but were urged to shoot 50 more, you were a little disappointed with your score on round 3 so you really bore down on the last 25. When you missed a couple you got frustrated and that built on itself until you were trying way to hard to not miss.

You have plenty of company. You just mentally checked out and lost focus.

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Thanks Jerry for the kind words.

I was disappointed with the round 3 but Damn a 10 . Now I get to go there and look at it on the walls for the next 8 or so weeks and hear all the ribbing until I plead with them to take it down. I'm smiling about it though. I've only been shooting since 07 and have had a pretty good run so far so I guess its time for a little bit of as was stated the wheels coming off. I'm going to have to face some of the music for a bit. Its all good and everyone had a big laugh at my expense last night. Even my wife said what ??? did you say 10 ??... lol.. I'll go back next week take a look up on the wall and go out and shoot at another 50.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Looking at the bead instead of the bird tends to snowball. Jeff

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

widowmaker, think about this and see if maybe you were doing this.

You wanted to keep shooting good as you knew you were, but maybe, just maybe you started to slow down to make sure of your shots and you just might have been bead checking to make sure you were on the bird. Which in case you were, would make you miss.

Or, you slowed down to make sure you were on the bird, you stopped your swing.........but the bird didn't stop and the results is another big fat zero on your score card.

Not saying it is any of the above, but one of those scenario's would be my guess.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

11. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Haux:

I have no Idea for real. The very first time I ever tried it I broke 18 and the worst since that day has been a 20. I wanted to blame it on the shells but who the hell knows I'll just have to wait until next week and see. It was just a very very strange helpless feeling that the gun goes pop and then I hear lost any of the things you mentioned could have happened for sure. Believe me when I walked off or there I was stunned and the shooter next to me walked over and asked what the hell happened ?? I had no answer and like I said we will try it next week. I've shot a bunch of 98's and 99's so I know how to do it but again a 10 ?? . I wanted to think that Federal left the wads out of that box of shells I was using as another shooter asked if I had a bad box of reloads but they were new. I've gone from a C-Class to B maybe this year. Hopefully no more 10's in the near future.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Widomaker, It has happened to most of us.

We may wonder why, but never know. We just shake our heads and come back to shoot another day.

Just make sure you are concentrating on the target and not the beads.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

13. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Thanks I'm still laughing and shaking my head thinking how the hell did I do that.

14. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

A guy at our club who shoots 3,000-4,000 rounds of ATA a year had a 1 one night. That's right, a 1! And he only chipped it to boot.

Personally, I recall having a night like you had where I ended up with a score of 8.

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

There's a saying in trap, You have never shot your worst score. One year at the Grand I shot a 55 in doubles, never been very good at doubles but that day I was at least 20 below the worst score I ever shot in doubles before that event. Naturally a goooood friend took a picture of that score on the big board and presented it to me with a smile. It is pinned on my reloading table as a reminder that my worst scores are yet to come. Get back on the horse and ride him hard, you will be fine. JRM

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I am told by a good friend that years ago in a League shoot a guy ran a perfect ZERO, but he did hit a bird with a WAD, and it bounced off!! the whole squad lost composure for a few minutes...

17. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

You know another shooter came up to me and said it was the lights but truthfully no it wasn't . I could see the targets just fine. I started on post 4 and finished on 3. I was bearing down like my life depended on it and just missed every thing I walked off post 3 with a 1. No excuses here and the strangest thing here is I had just got done smoking 50 straight 3 squads before and it was my second time in 3 weeks smoking 50 straight. Un believable and embarrassing and to make matters worse they are going to post it on the bulletin board so I can see it for the next 8 weeks or so. I'm a good sport so I can take it but damn lets not do that again. Its the most helpless feeling I've had in a long time.

The last time anything like that happened to me was one night I was playing defense in a hockey game and Matt Herr from the Caps showed up to play of course on the other team and my goalie smacked me in the back of the legs with his stick and yelled at me YOU GONNA TRY PLAYING SOME TONIGHT OR WHAT!!! ?. I turned around and yelled back YOU TRY AND STOP HIM !!! and he Yelled back at me I HAVE BEEN ALL F***ING night how about you give it a try!!!. Bad night to be Martin and playing defense.

Thanks guys I'm glad I'm not the only one .....

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Did you pick up the wrong gun and not realize it??

19. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I'm lauging a big belly laugh Frank thats funny. No it was my gun lol.

20. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Widomaker, Are you a one eyed shooter or a two eyed shooter? I know a couple of two eyed shooters that after they get a little tired, they start missing targets and they came to find out that after they got a little tired they started to shoot crosseyed dominant and started to see through their none shooting eye and they didn't even know it was happening. This is what might have happened to you last night. It's something that comes out of nowhere and it happens if you are a two eyed shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.