1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    my nephew obtained a new job recently working for a major company. he was to start on monday. after he got the job, he asked his girlfriend to marry him. she quit her teaching job of 5 years and they moved down south a week ago. they rented an appt, had his tools shipped down to him etc. the company arranged to have his phone and electric placed in their name etc. he called today, and asked if he could bring his tools in and set them up prior to his first day of work and was told due to the economy, they have decided not to offer him the job now. he has spent a few thousand dollars of his own, she quit a good job. he has an offer of employment in writing. all i know is what his mother has told us. any one he can speak to to help him get all his money back? i don't understand from a month ago, how they can offer him a job, and now there is no job. does he have any recourse???
    steve balistreri

2. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Sorry to hear that, Smoke. That's a rough one.

BB

3. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Steve.......my guess is that by the time he should HIRES an attorney and tries to fight it...the few thousand would be GONE. Sucks though. Anything in writting? ......Verbal is "fightable/ but written is better.

4. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Im no lawyer but, written job offer, written acceptance, signed letters of intent that are binding enough for this boy and girl to make a life-altering decision and move out of state, probably carries some recoverable damages if you hire the right lawyer. Thats pretty serious. Todd

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

get a lawyer.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

That sucks.

I could see a company coughing up some moving expenses, maybe, just to make this go away.

However, the tougher part will be placing a value on his "not wife yet's" relinquishment of her job. That's the most costly portion of this whole screw-job. They will probably say, she's not his wife yet, legally...the decision to quit her job and move down there with him was her own, and entailed some risk, which she was willing to take...and is unfortunately probably hers to "eat."

It especially sucks for her. Teaching jobs can be hard to get, some places. She should immediately explain the situation, and try to go back there, if they haven't hired a replacement yet.

I hope this works out. I've seen some shitty stuff, but this is dirty pool.

7. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

He should file a discrimination suit since they almost certainly hired an illegal alien to take his place. Either that or subcontracted the work out to a Chinese company.

P.S. The whole story sounds a bit suspicious to me- kinda like a fish story.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

thanks for the info. the way the work place is now a days is probably something that the older shooters may or may not have encountered. regardless, as we all know in life there are bumps in the road. they will have to pick themselves up and look elsewhere for work.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.