1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions on buying real estate in Florida?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Considering buying either a single family house, condo or town house by Silver Dollor gun club area. Wife and i had enough of these winters at our age. Any suggestions that can help me with real estate in Florida. I did notice real estate taxes is very low in Florida. Probably sell it in 8 to 10 years. So investment is important. Thanks

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Snyder I will PM you with my phone #. My wife and I have been looking and trying to buy for almost 3 years in Spring Hill just north of Odessa. We can tell you some horror stories. Mike.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you call Ralph Bennett, Pres. of the FTA.

Don

4. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I`m in St. Pete and not really familiar with the "Dollar" area.
    Taxes are low, as asessed values have tanked.
    Now is the time to buy in Florida. There`s no doubt about it.
    Be very aware of homeowner insurance rates. Do not buy in an evacuation zone, or too close to the water. (Gulf)
    Regards, Pete

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Come on down, the water is fine. Orlando Slantinel reported today how many foreclosures are in the state. We have a bunch. That area offers everything you could look for from low rent to top of the line. Real estate is currently about 50% less than 2 years ago. With a little luck you may be able to double your money in 8 to 10 years. If the economy ever comes back Florida will get going again.

I don't know where up there in the snow is so look carefully at the areas and the types of people in them before jumping in. Some of the subdivisions and towns in that area have a lot of real yank influence I would have a hard time dealing with long term. I think the east coast from St. Augustine to Vero Beach offers more value and smaller crowds. We have some small local clubs in this area. Sarasota has a good club but it is a little higher priced than around the Dollar.

Feel free to check into the Villages Retirement Community in Leesburg. They claim the world record for the longest Golf Club parade and they probably have the world record for the highest incidence of STD in one community.

Poinciana has one of the largest nudist colonies in the US.

Like I said, Florida has everything you want and without snow.

Better hurry though, you don't want to miss the start of the 2011 hurricane season!

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Watch out for Chinese Drywall!!

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Make sure the drywall didn't come from China.

-Gary

8. smsnyder

How can you tell drywall is from China?

9. smsnyder

I also understand sink holes are a problem in Florida

10. smsnyder

Single family unit or townhouse or condo for future investment?

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In my honest opinion, avoid the Tampa/St. Pete area-over crowded--lots of crime--in the summer -high humidity & thunder storms--lived there in 95--bailed in 99.

Just bought a place in Palm Coast--on the water, very laid back-great local club- within 1 hr of JAX club.
    r
    The other coast is great if you want to me married to the Silver Dollar. I don't do well with crowds & mega traffic.

This is the time to buy 30 cents on the dollar. No income tax in Fl. No personal property tax. & the big plus is you will learn how to shoot in the wind.

Phil Berkowitz

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Barrelbulge - add your experiences buying in Florida. I have heard many horror stories. What are yours?

13. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

SMSnyer.......it was nice meeting you at the Dixie.....my advice...buy somewhere where its WARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aaaahhhahahahahahh...

14. smsnyder

P3AT, just PM you

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I received a notice from the U.S. gov. this week that the Chinese dry wall was not responsible for any illnesses or deaths. The notice did not address effects on copper pipes and wiring.JRM

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Snyder, chinese drywall was used primarily in 2004,05and 06. You can smell the problem, strange odor in the house. Look at the pipes and wiring you will see a build up of oxidation. The state was getting involved in the problem and some of the builders if still in business were handling their problem. Stay clear of Bank of America if they are involved in a short sale or foreclosure. I would never deal with them again. Bulge.

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If you are going to buy now is probably the time, but watch out! Talk to a local you trust who knows the area and let him steer you in the right direction, area.

A friend of mine got a divorce. He lives in the burbs outside Tampa. He keep the house and ended up buying his ex a condo that was built new a couple of years ago. It was a short sale, he said he gave 50K and it sold new for 165K 3 or 4 years ago. It took him something like 9 to 10 months for the deal to go through, and a lot of looking to find this deal.

Another family friend has had a house in Leigh Acres (outside Ft. Myers) for 25 years plus. Last year they went down and stayed less than a week, this year they didn't even bother to go. Reason, that area was overbuilt with new subdivisions and when the crash came a few years ago they all sat. According to them it has became one giant suburban ghetto. Over ran with illegals and all the amenties they bring.

Price is right now, but watch where you buy. You don't want to end up moving to Detroit, or the South Bronx in the Sunshine state.

18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I would second the Palm Coast recommendation. Eight or nine clubs within a two hour drive. Flagler, Jacksonville and Gator with ongoing trap programs.

19. smsnyder

Thanks all. I am considering Odessa area or around there. rural area

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My suggestion, from having folks move to Florida and got out BEFORE the bust... like any move, I would rent first to make sure you like the area you are considering... it's nice to say things may have bottomed out, but unless you're fully familiar with the area your considering buying in, take a community for a one-year test drive... in one year, property values are not going to rebound...

respectfully suggesting,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.