1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Suggestions for Grease/Oil for OU 'Hinge Pins'

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greg2648, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg2648

greg2648 Member

Any Suggestions for Grease/Oil for OU

I am looking for suggestions for grease/oil for my Browning O/U hinge pins. I have been shooting in cold weather (under 20*). Thank you.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with good ole fashioned wheel bearing grease.

Gne J

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

STP.

HM

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've used Sto's for 15 years and never had a gaul, but it is more important to wipe your hinges and bearing points down every night after shooting, and apply new grease or oil. Dirt and grit cause problems, get it outta of there!

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have used Pro-Shot Pro-Gold lubricant for the past ten years on my Browning O/Us. It stays put in the heat and works well at sub-zero temps (I used to live in Fargo North Dakota).

Jim Skeel

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I use Pro-Shot Pro-Gold too, hinge pins & locking lugs on my Beretta.

John C. Saubak

7. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I like "Super Lube", it's colorless and works great. Wheel grease looks terrible on a nickled or stainless receiver.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Gator Tears, Swamp Slime, Shooter's Choice, or Pro-Shot Pro Gold. I sell them all, and all are good!

Matt Woodson

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Lubriplate, good enough to get all those M1 Garands through WWII in every battlefield condition, good enough for a trap gun. I think I see a pattern here. There are lots of good lubricants that are up to the challenge. The trick is to use lube every time and keep the dirt cleaned away. Good Luck

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I really like the Gator Tears that I got from Matt at the MO Handicap last fall.
    I used Pro Gold before getting the tears.

11. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

LEO you are right about lubriplate it's the only lube we found to hold in u joints on 4x's in acid water on strip jobs

12. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I recently started using Lubriplate Synxtreme HD-2, which I like a lot. It stays on, is easy to wipe off at the end of the day and definitely provides the required lubrication, as well as corrosion resistance.

Here's Lubriplate's description of their Synxtreme HD series of greases:

"These high performance, extreme-duty, multi-purpose, synthetic, calcium sulfonate complex greases provide unsurpassed anti-wear, and extreme pressure protection. They are highly water resistant and work well over a wide range of temperature extremes and other adverse conditions. Superior shear stability and oxidation resistance provide long lasting protection. Available in 3 NLGI grades for a wide range of applications. SYNXTREME HD-2 is NLGI GC-LB certified for wheel bearing and chassis lubrication."

13. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the lubriplate wipes off very easily also.

tony

14. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Have used STOS and like it but it is a pain to clean off and collects grit. Using bar chain oil now applied with a syringe. Easy to clean and doesn't build up grit deposits in all the wrong places. Didn't flow easily but was able to apply it on Sunday. It was -20F on the car outside temp meter when I left the house for the range Sunday!

Regards

W&W

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gator tears and Swamp slime! Click on link above! Bob Schultz

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

tinylo,
    SuperLube by Permatex is now marketed as ViperLube by Loctite. No change in the formula. I like it for it's specifications:

High Heat resistance makes it stay in place no matter how hot it gets.

Synthetic means the protection is consistent at any temperature.

FDA, USDA approved means it's non toxic.

Non-staining means no oily spots on your shirt if you're messy, like me.

Great bearing grease, can't be beat.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Just about any grease will do a fine (except maybe Crisco and Vaseline) as long as you keep it clean. That includes CMD Gun Lube which works a well as anything and better than some mentioned here. If you slather it on with a trowel you will have trouble with it being runny when it's hot. Just a thin, almost invisible film is all that's needed and if you see it squeezing out of the joints, you used way too much!

Any grease will get stiff when the temps drop below 0ยบ, especially the grade #2 greases that are very commonly available. Then something like Lubriplate 105 (motor assembly grease) or Lubriplate Aero (garage door grease) work very well.

MK

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shotguns operate at relatively low temperatures (compared to an automobile engine), under very low pressures with very little movement. Any general lube will work well. The important thing is keeping the lubricant clean, not which lubricant is used.

Pat Ireland

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I say go organic. 50/50 mix of Hellmans Mayonaise and extra virgin olive oil. HMB

20. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have used most of them with the same success. My favorite lube for the inside trigger spots is STOS. My favorite hinge lube is Mobile 1 synthetic grease found at Auto Zone for $6.95 a huge tube that last a lifetime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hinge synthetic grease

lubriplate 105 for shotgun hinge pins

oil shotgun hinges