1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Smith & Wesson experts on here?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

I have a K 38 (15-3)with a 4" barrel and I have always wanted a little more weight forward. Will the barrel for a Model 14 fit and have the correct barrel to cylinder gap? Is there a factory barrel that would be a better replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Rebarreling that K frame is no big deal but probably not something you will want to take on yourself. There is fitting involved even if you were to use a barrel from another M15. Cylinder & Slide gunsmithing would be a good place to start looking at all the options. Sounds like you want a big slab side 6" for stability/sight plane reasons - should be a neat project.

I also have a M15 4" that was a trade in from the Houston PD. Who ever carried my gun took pretty good care of it and didn't fire it much. One of my all time favorite shooters.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If it is indeed a k-38. Much better to sell it to one of the many seeking one and purchasing a newer L frame for your use...

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All barrel swaps on S&W revolvers require a certain degree of fitting. Some are easy and some are complicated. A 4 inch heavy barrel from a model 10 might suit your needs. HMB

5. vatrap

vatrap Member

Wolfram-
    I was not planning to do it myself, however good pistol smiths are not common around here. Figured I would have to send it to Cylinder and Slide or Clark to get it done. The gunsmith at the local shop scares the crap out of me, I don't think I would let him fit a recoil pad, let alone re-barrel a Smith.

Top Single DT10-
    You're right it's a 15-3 not a Combat Masterpiece.

What did you think of the Smolt conversion? I considered it at one point but never got around to it. I did pickup one of the 6" Bomar ribs at a gun show a couple of years with the intention of putting a Clark slab side barrel on it at some point.

Python barrels are not that hard to find anymore. Any idea of the conversion cost? There are a couple of Python barrels on gunbroker in the $100 range now.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

BigM is right, an original K38 in good condition is highly sought after.

Robert

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I called my Smith/Colt a Smython. Shot way better than the 19 it was originally.

8. elinvar

elinvar Member

Mike- I would keep the 15 as is and find a 14 6" with the full lug barrel- lots more weight out front.
    Terry Jones

9. 333t

333t Member

Mike:

I would call or email the factory. Their work is excellent and reasonable and they will give you a quote up front.

Phil

10. vatrap

vatrap Member

After listening to all the advice and knowing that what I really want is an old style PPC revolver, I'll leave the Model 15 alone and just buy one of these.
    With the economy the way it is now, a bunch of club members have their old PPC guns up for sale instead of just keeping them in the safe, since most of them are shooting autos now. Thanks for the advice, I did pickup a Model 14 6" barrel just in case I change my mind, but it looks like Model 10 or Model 13 PPC conversion guns are more available than I thought.

Mike
    [​IMG]

11. DANNY

DANNY Member

Mike,I have a nice mdl.10 ppc gun that has not been shot much since it was built.I quit shooting ppc years ago. It was built by Rich Fried a gun smith in Damascas,Md. Price would be 550.+ shipping to your ffl. If any interest & want more details let me know. Danny

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for one built on the old 5 screw frame, they have a long smooth double action trigger pull and the single action is great also. HMB

13. BigM-Perazzi

I'd be surprised if anyone finds one built on a 5 screw, hmb.....

14. grummanflyr

grummanflyr TS Member

Well here's your surprise , this one is built on a 5 screw gun and it's a sweet shooter! Available now ...cheap!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150367907

Walt

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you settle on one of those K frame PPC guns keep in mind that they or any other K frame for that matter won't hold up to a steady diet of fast light bullet loads like the 125 grain +p or others. Actually if you want it to last keep all your loads under 900 fps if you don't the forcing cone will split, not a matter of if just when. Best bet is 148 wadcutters at 650-700 or 158 rn lead about the same speed. I've shot a lot of revolver PPC and other things and have learned it the hard way. If you want something that will hold up with high velocity hot loads get a L frame like a 686 or even better a N frame like a model 27 or 28. It's really not the frame strength so much as it is the thin barrel around the forcing cone. Hope you get a good one and have a lot of fun with it.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Correcting some misinformation here....

The S&W Masterpiece series consisted of the following K-Frame revolvers:

K-38, later Model 14 .38 Masterpiece.

K-32, later Model 16 .32 Masterpiece.

K-22, later Model 17 .22 Masterpiece.

S&W received requests in the early 1950's for 4" versions of the above. These 4" models were produced as:

.38 Combat Masterpiece, later Model 15.

.32 Combat Masterpiece (it never got a model number).

.22 Combat Masterpiece, later Model 18.

And of course the Model 19 .357 Magnum was known as the Combat Magnum.

Note that there is a difference in the barrels between the Masterpiece and original Combat Masterpiece series. The Masterpiece series had a heavier barrel, while the Combat Masterpiece has a tapered barrel. Later production Model 15s switched to the heavier barrel sometime during the 1980's. My Model 18 .22 Combat Masterpiece has the earlier tapered barrel.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you want a custom PPC revolver, it's best to buy a used one. Few gunsmiths make them anymore.

But, the 686 L-Frame, with its full underlug, is pretty darn close to the concept of a PPC gun.

When I shot PPC, I use a S&W Model 52 semi-auto, which was chambered for .38 flush mouth wdcutters.

18. BigM-Perazzi

Well proved me wrong. What a shame to ruin a 5-screw like that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

s&w 17 ppc revolver conversions

smith wesson shooting experts

smolt gunsmiths