1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Smallmouth Bass Fishermen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Spanky, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Just curious if any of you guys fished for smallies. I know trap shooting takes up alot of time if you are a true passionate dedicated clays shooter. I'll never get enough time to fish for smallies but, this is my #1 outdoor passion. I shoot most of my targets early winter, winter, & late winter. The off season I guess but, do shoot somewhat regular through the summer.

Just curious if any of you guys were freshwater fisherman along with your love to shoot clays.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use Gene Larew Salt Craws, rubber worms, and Leeches or crawlers.

One of the best breakfasts I ever had was bass filleted on a canoe paddle and immediately into a hot pan with fried potatoes and eggs over easy.

My fishing spots are about 60 percent largemouth habitat but a few smallie spots too.

HM

3. 1oz

1oz Member

Pound for pound great fighing fish generally beautiful settings .For freshwater personally i dont think it gets any better.JM2C

4. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

We have some great small mout lakes ,,just don't get to fish enough,,,my two boats set idle most of the time ,,,we do a week at a great lake over memorial day ,,Wa. state ,,D. Lang

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

I am fortunate to live on the shores of Lake Barkley/Ky Lake and bass fish almost every day the weather permits. Love to catch "them ole brown fish".

6. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Augie, I didn't know you were a Bass fisherman. Makes 2 of us. We actualy have 2 lakes here in North Georgia that has a nice population of Smallmouths.
    i_shoot

7. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Yep me and my grandson, he's the fish go getter.
    Railroad and Little Buck,
    Railroad

8. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I would rather fish Small Mouth than have sex. Of course I'm 73 years old. LOL

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

just for grins and giggles has anybody ever tried floating big tadpoles for smallies. I have used a # 11 thumper spinner bait that I make and caught many, but the funny thing a lot of time when you get them beside the boat all they have in there mouth is the blade and of course they get off and this is at night to. I would like to know about the tadpole deal though?

thanks
    lee

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

you can catch all you want ( 100 - 200) per day at CJ Strike here in southern Idaho and yes thay are excellent to eat

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

There are alot of things in life that I enjoy, my family, hunting, shooting working around the house, my job (going down the shitter right now) but, smallie fishing is my heaven. A good day or bad day of fishing makes no difference. I really don't eat fish for the most part, let them all go back. I generally will fish them from 5 am. to 8:30 am. So scullers will be out but, I don't bother them and they don't bother me or the smallies.

12. shrek

shrek Active Member

I used to fish a fair amount. Then job location, extremely demanding job and assorted other things screwed that up. And it's doing a good job and screwing up my shooting at the present time too.

Fished for musky bass and panfish in northern Wisconsin, where I am originally from. Got to fish the Tennessee River impoundments when I lived in East Tennessee for about 6 years.

Smallies are at the top of my list for liking to fish for them.

Now I don't live within reasonable distance to any quality fishing...

13. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

The James River in, and west of, the City of Richmond has wonderful smallmouth fishing. I've been a rockhopper in the city for more than 30 years. And yes, it is a simply beautiful river. East of the city is tidal for the whole 100 miles to the ocean.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1078/1469741805_d6c5a7ba74.jpg

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Back in the eighties I lived in California and would spend a week in spring and one in fall a a particular lake and would only see one or two other boats the whole week. It was a valley damned up for electrical generation and the timeber was not cut. Then was stocked with fla largemouth and was the best lake I have ever fished and believe me I have fished a lot. I was stationed in Tampa bay area for eleven years. But back to the small mouth bass, in that lake in California I fished the grass beds near a small stream that came into the lake. One evening I made 8 casts and caught 5 smallies that weighed over 5 pounds each. All on a 1/4 oz white buzz bait. I had three witnesses that just couldn't believe what they saw. I fished a lot of tournaments over the years but have never found a fishery like this one. It's name is Indian Valley Resivoir. It was a no wake lake and didn't get much fishing pressure. Boy, would I like to get back to it. In a week of fishing the four of us would generally catch at least 500 yep that right 500 fish. The water was cold year round so the largemouth didn't get as big as they do down south. 9 lb 2 oz was my best large and 6 lb 1 oz was my best smallie. Jackie B.

15. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

When my boys were younger I used to take them to the upper peninsula in Michigan. It was the Sylvania wilderness area so no motors allowed. We would portage way back and camp. Crystal clear water and nice smallmouth all over the place. You could use topwater all day long. It's catch and release on the smallies. Not a better fish to catch for me. Mike.

16. powderburn

powderburn Member

Spanky,
    I live in central Indiana, and there are a few places to get smallies. Most of mine come from the smaller rivers in central Indiana. Nothing better than wading for them b/c you are really close to the action. Man, when they decide to do one last run and they zip betw/ your legs and you have to follow the fish with the rod and reel and "hand" the rod and reel back to yourself on the other side (under the water by the way), it doesn't get any better than that! Usually alot of those pesky rock bass are mixed in too. The other day I "helped" a fairly good sized smallie out by pushing the rest of a crawfish claw into his belly-(claw was still sticking out) I Hardly ever keep a smallie. They fight too well and have that 'tude that makes me think, "I just can't do it- I can't keep a smallie". I really respect their will to shake that hook and never give up. By the way, have you ever tried resting them by the belly in the palm of your hand? They won't budge an inch. I hardly ever have to "lip" them anymore. Just make sure your hand is nice and wet so the slime won't come off on you and leave them subject to infection.
    Good luck, and good fishin'!
    -powderburn

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Back in the 1950's and 60's, I used to catch some really nice Smallmouth off of Hasting's point in Gun Lake Michigan. Gun Lake is located between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, Michigan. Hastings point is a deep water point with clear water and rocks and boulders on the bottom. There is about 300 yards of rocky coastline.

My favorite lures were either an all white Bomber or a "Christmas Tree" (green with sparkles) Bomber. No really big fish but a lot in the 2-3 pound class that could really jump.

I got to fish Gun Lake again in the 1990's and used a variety of different baits especially spinner baits. Caught a few fish and then I put on a old, beat up white 1/2 oz. Bomber. Well I soon caught several smallies that were in the 1 1/2 - 2 pound class and had a great time. After careful thought, I decided that fish cannot tell time. Sometimes, the old lures work better than the new ones.

Also, Hastings Point (named for the Hasting's family) had a nice cottage and with a floating dock. On many mornings, a nice looking dark haired girl would come out and dive off of the dock for a swim. She was nice to look at and a good swimmer. My brother and I talked about her frequently as we saw her many times over a several year period. We talked about her every time we planned a trip to Gun Lake as to would we see her again.

Well, my wife and I were at a summer outing of a CPA firm where I was employed in 1975. There were about 30 couples in attendance playing volleyball and other outdoor games. Michigan is really nice in the summer. Standing around, I struck up a conversation with a nice young lady who was the wife of our host. We got to talking about Michigan and she said that she was raised on Gun Lake. She than said that her maiden name was Laura Hastings. Yes, she was the person who swam every morning at her parent's cottage. Small world.

My last fishing trip with my dad was on Gun Lake in August, 1974. He was recovering from a lung cancer surgery and was in the best health I could remember. He even went for a short swim from the dock out to a diving float. We had an excellent fishing trip and, one morning, we caught more Black Crappie that one person could easily carry. Many of the fish were over 2 pounds.

My dad had a huge Black Crappie up to the boat on a purple Sparkle Tail (jointed minnow). That Crappie was in the 4 plus pound class. The fish pulled free and my dad was disappointed at first but then said that it would be a shame to kill such a beautiful fish. My dad passed away a month later from a brain tumor. The Lord was good to him on that last fishing trip.

One more thing about Gun Lake. It has a nice resort on Chicago Point, named for a camp Al Capone and his gang frequented back in the 1920's.

Ed Ward

18. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Oh yeah Spanky, smallmouth fishing is what I dream about. Living in northern New Mexico I get my share. In fact I'll be on Lake Powell, Utah on a house boat for 2 weeks in September. 100 fish days are the norm. Gin clear water and lots of rocks make for some hot action.
    And when the smallie action is slow we bust the stripers, no limit on them, in fact they encourage you to keep all that you catch. I can't wait!!!

Cheers,

George

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

We fish small mouth on the Umpqua river, The Snake river, The Owyhea, and a few other less known spots. Usually when we are hunting in the regions. Not uncommon at this time of year to catch 500 Fish per day on the Snake river. Lots of smaller fish but you will catch enough 2 to 4 pounders in a day( Maybe 8 to10 nicer fish in 6 hours on the river) May be hard to believe but some guys take those little counters that bouncers at bars use to keep track of people to keep track of how many small mouths they catch.
    The Coulumbia river is awsome for walleye and small mouth but for size, not number. Fish 8 to 10 hours on the Columbia and with a little know how or with a guide you should catch some small mouth over 4 pounds , I am not talking a boat load but 5 or 6 real nice fish and all the walleye you would want to keep and eat. Pre spawn walleye with a good guide in the spring you could catch the next world record.
    At many spots on the snake you can wear your arms out catching small mouth on light tackle and never get in a boat or even put on a pair of waders.
    A trip to the Snake River in Oregon could well be the most doable DIY fishing trip a guy could go on. Jeff

20. 1oz

1oz Member

Have fished the James From Wingina to Richmond in different trips was good by all .Fished alot around pony pasture canoed down threw Hollywood area yep some class 4 maybe 5s . North Anna has so good smallies in the right places up around Kings Dominion maybe a little east .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.