1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any smallmouth bass addicts out there?????????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Spanky, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Been pretty much a yearly post for me. I love the respose from you guys.

I cut alot of my trap shooting back this time of year. I toss and turn most of the night dreaming and thinking about chasing river smallies and greenies this time of year. I will shoot trap, skeet or sporting a random night during the week on the way home from work somewhere just to keep shooting.

I havn't had good conditions on the river the last few weeks. Been getting a shitpot full of rain here in S.E. Penna. Been tough the last few days, have been fishing grubs, split tail grubs, 4" worms and tubes to boat a few. Fished slooooooow. Spinnerbaits and cranks have yielded nothing since the heavier rains.

Better conditions are on the way that's for sure. Just though I stir up some smallie chatter. Good luck and good fishing. My peace with life is chasing these Bronzebacks around.

2. dhip

dhip Active Member

I still fish in a local club,love it when were in Smallie territory.I'm in the S.E. also,shoot at OGC.

Doug H.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

You may have seen me post this before but if you ever get to California to do some fishing, you need to go to Indian Valley Resivoir. It is a damned valley for power generation and they left the timber standing and is stocked with Fl Largemouth and on the North end has the best Smallmouth fishing that I have ever seen. In one afternoon, casting a white on white buzz bait I caught 6 smallies over 5 pounds all along the grass beds. All in all it is the best fishing lake I have ever seen and it had very little fishing pressure when I was there. I've fished most of the lakes in the Southeast and a lot of them in CA and never seen anything like it. Jackie B.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My daughter wants to try bass fishing, but I've never done it and have no clue where the good spots are in Oregon. Anyone in Oregon who would like to lend a hand, we'd appreciate it. She also likes crappie fishing, but I haven't done that since I lived in Omaha as a kid. She was fishing at a private lake at a church retreat.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Never went specifically for them...have caught some Largemouth just below Norman Wood bridge...my thing is open Chesapeake bay for big stripers

6. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

SPANKY you catch'em I'll eat'em.

7. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Living in Jersey I don't really hook into smallies. Thats gonna change. Moving to Tennessee and I can't wait to tangle with some smallies. Gonna hit Dale Hollow Lake and try to hook a giant. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I love fishing for smallies.............what a blast.

We do most of our fishing on the Potomac from Little Falls at the pumping station west as far as we can go......usually around Paw Paw,or the Mouth of the Little Cacapon........big/small.........they are a great game fish.

D.P.Reynolds

9. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I always wondered if "Big mouth bass fisherman" was refering to the fishee or fisher. Just a thought. Larry

10. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Caught a bunch today could only get the
    Up to 3 lb+ today. Washington State Columbia River.
    Love them. Got my new 20' Skeeter FS with a 250 SHO two days ago.
    Bill

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

dhip - I shoot at Oxford about once a month. Too far for me to go regularly every week. The other year I was there alot more, I was teaching a work buddy how to shoot. He's local to your club. Nancy who has the kitches put out some good eats on Thursdays. That's my night. I always like to give a shout out to Nancy and the girls.

Shooting Jack - I'd like to get out near San Diego sometime and fish a few of those lakes I was near. Had to be some huge Greenies there.

Calvin - I fish at Northeast once or twice a year. I love it there. I hookie work and go mid-week when less people are around.

hrosik 123 - Good luck with the move to Tenn. I'd love to get there sometime for those smallies. My parents and sister are down there somewhere. I haven't dealt with them for years now. I refuse to step in the same state as them.

Old Confederate - "Big mouth bass fisherman", yes, that's a bass fisherman with a big mouth. Largemouth bass I refer to them as green trout sometimes. Some guys have no idea what I'm refering to.

Bill Roberts - I'm kicking around to get a new puddle jumper. I love my bass boat but I have two grandsons and I need to get something with a bit more side depth and still work out for how I like to fish. Have been eyeing up one of the Crestliners or Lunds. They are pretty young 4 and 1 but, I get them out. They have to know what fishing, shooting and hunting is when they are young.

Will head out again in the a.m. I have an extra day tacked on to the holiday. Conditions will be a bit better. I'm hopeing next weekend will be prime time.

12. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

For my area here in MD, including the Ches. Bay, there is no finer fishing than the upper Potomac River, from Dickerson, MD. North to the W.VA. line. A big smallmouth is 5 lbs., (for me anyway.) Fishing out of a 16' flat bottom boat, with jet powered Yamaha, fishing the riffs and pools. Morning and evening using top water plugs, the strike of a "smallie" is something to behold. When they miss it and blow the plug out of the water 4 feet, is akin to seeing a 8 point buck, broadside. Work the deep pools with big Panther Martins or Mepps, slow rolled can produce a vicious strike, hang on. And then they break water and jump, you crank slack line, what a sight and a thrill. A light action 8' fly rod with poppers, even better. And to add to your enjoyment, if you look about, read some books, you can find rocks where native Indians ground corn on a rock, or where the soldiers from the Civil war made camp. And best of all, Tuesday thru Thursday, you may see 3 other boats all day, and burn 5 gallons of gas tops. And I'm a 20 minute tow away from the ramp. It don't get any better. If there were a National fish, it should be the Smallmouth Bass. Fish On, F/S.

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Falcon, very well said. I wish I was closer to a better smallie hot bed but, I'm lucky like you to only be 15 min. tow to the ramp.

Got out a few hours this morning. My water conditions are getting better and my fishing results are getting better. No giants but that's fine I happy to just be out. Finesse worms, tubes and grubs in 7 to 11 feet of water. Looking forward to this coming weekend. I think the river will be settled out to a stained color and I'll be happy with that.

The Smallie also gets my vote for the National fish. ><'>

14. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Hey Spanky, one evening last year I was working a surface deer hair popper with a nice lightweight #6 weight flyrod. I worked it past some stumps and something inhaled it. Since it did not jump I suspected a largemouth. Up and down the river it went taking line like a rocket. Bout 15 minutes later I netted a nice fat, 22" channel catfish. Caught them on spinners and minnow lures in the past, but that was the first one ever on a top water bug. Deep fried beer battered catfish with cole slaw ain't a bad supper. Flyrod's a bunch of fun, even with Bluegills. Fish On, F/S.

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I grew up fishing for smallmouth on the Jack's Fork and Current River in southwest Missouri. (The Ozarks)Nothing quite like them. My favorite lures are the Zara Spook Jr. and the Heddon Baby Torpedo. A smallmouth on top....WOW!
    Martinpicker (Jack Farrow) p.s. See P.M.

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Well, I have excass to a creek with a lot of nice bass. Most are 19 to 21 inches and over 5 pounds. Ray

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fs- 1014 dhip