1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any SMALLMOUTH ADDICTS out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Spanky, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Guys just throwing this out there. I post this every year or so, I love and appreciate the responses. I'm pretty much a river rat here in S.E. Penna.. I live, dream and I guess will die for my smallie time out. I shoot alot less in the summer. Prefer to chase smallies. Not having a banner year but by no means am getting skunked. Tubes and Grubs have gotten me my bigger fish so far this season but Crankbait action has been picking up.

Just thought there may be some addicts out there and how has the bite been for ya. Good luck and have fun. Thanks.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I never met a fish I didn't like if it was prepared right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. opa41

opa41 TS Member

Just returned from Lac Suel in Ontario,we caught 30 to 40 smallies over 20 inch every day.The Walley fishing was great and lots of Northerns over 36 inch.

George

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

George, you know how to really hurt a guy, you know!!! I never even have caught a smallie or a Walleye or a Northern or even a Muskie!!! You can't find them down here in Florida. Now I have caught a few nice fish in the gulf stream though!!! "Now" what size hook do you like to use when you send those Smallies and Walleys's out for BAIT??? LOL Break-em all. Jeff

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a house on Wilson Lake in northern Alabama, it held the world record for smallmouth (10lb 8 oz) for many years.. We love to chase them.. The biggest one we have had on this year looked to be over 5 pounds.. it broke the line (12 pound stren) right at the boat on its last charge! I fish for them year round..

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

blkcloud:

Do you fish Wilson most of the time or do you go down below the Pickwick tailwater much? I worked for TVA fisheries out of the Muscle Shoals Reservation for 8+ years. My boss in 1974 showed me a picture of a ten fish stringer of smallmouth taken by two fishermen that weighed over 62 pounds. Shows how long ago it was in that the fish were on a stringer (days before livewells and catch and release). The Quad Cities Area was/is a great place to live.

DoubleAuto

7. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi all,
    I got the opportunity to fish the middle fork of the raccoon river just west of Des Moines last year during the Iowa State Fair time. Had a ball! caught one walleye and lots of 12 and 13"ers. None were monsters, but what fun! waded in tennis shoes and shorts. We are going to Iowa again this year for the fair, and I will return to the raccoon. tight lined crawlers ans threw some 1/32 oz. daredevyl spoons also. I would like to try the Turkey River up in NE Iowa also. Heard it has some willing smallies.
    -all the best, powderburn

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Got out again this morning early. Fished from 4:30 to 8:30 and done pretty well fishing some stone points with topwaters. Nothing huge but caught a nice handfull runts and short chunks before the sun ever came over the horizon.

Yesterday I lost what I felt was a respectable fish in a log jam piece of structure. Fish wasn't on very long, just a short time hook up. Can't say that I made a good visual of it. Just going by the hit and short fight. I really thought it could be in the 18" range. Hit that jam today with about 6 casts and landed a 15 1/4" largemouth. Same fish? I don't know. Should be a few nice fish in that mess. I'll get back to that structure and maybe a smallie will come out of there next time. I've had this happen many times before.

Thanks for the thread responses. I like to hear about your smallie in the different corners of the world. I know I'm not in the smallie meca of the USA here but I'm still addicted to what I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.