1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Savage experts out there

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 45er, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 45er

45er TS Member

I am selling a vintage Savage Model 24E-DL on gunbroker for a friend. The bottom barrel is a 20 gauge mag, and I THINK that the rifle barrel is a 22 mag, but darned if I can verify that. I can't find any marks on the barrel anywhere. I have seen Model 24E-DL guns in 22 LR/410 configurations, which is why I think that when you have this model in a 20 gauge, the rifle is a 22 magnum. Does anyone know enough about these guns to tell me?

On a side note, I found it disappointing that the official Savage Arms website basically says "we are too busy to accept emails" and also directs visitors to another website if they are interested in information about old Savage models. This "smells" like a company that has been bought out by venture capitalists who have gutted the traditional workforce that had the institutional knowledge. Of course I don't know that, but it seems that way. I recently needed a manual for a mint, out-of-production Beretta Cougar 8040, so I visited the Beretta website, clicked on "manuals", picked the model and sent the request. 7 days later a full owner's manual arrived in my mailbox. That's what I call service. Savage should take some lessons on customer support.

Thank you.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Savage Arms firearms I worked on years ago for warranty service were ALWAYS marked. Look on the top or left side of the barrel, over the chamber.

If for some reason, they failed to stamp the barrel, look in the chamber. The Magnum is about twice as long as the Long Rifle cartridge. While the Long Rifle chamber is the same size as the groove diameter of the barrel, the Magnum chamber is bigger and has a leade to the bore. A 243 rifle bullet will go in the chamber of the Magnum.

When I was a kid, I had an old 24 in 22LR/20 ga 3". I harvested a lot of game with that gun, and started reloading paper shells for that gun.

The yellow Federal paper factory loads sure smelled good when fired!

3. 45er

45er TS Member

Thanks Shooting Coach. Being lazy and not wanting to take the scope/mount off, I didn't see the markings which are, as you said, on top of the barrel. All's well in paradise now - it's definately a 22 magnum. Right now it's at $250, which would be a steal for this vintage beauty. It's in great shape!

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try dropping a .22 mag into the rifle chamber. If it goes in freely then that's what you have, if it doesn't chamber you have the lr/l/s chamber.

5. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

45er, Try this site. It has a bunch of Savage info.

http://savageshooters.baker-media.com/SavageForum/index.php

6. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

45er

You are dead on about the current Savage Corporation. I wrote them about certain shotguns and got a snotty answer that they were a different company and not to bother them with anything from the past. They are definitely a different company, and not a better one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vintage savage 24e-dl