1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any reloaders notice this about AA hulls??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I reloaded 250 rounds using hulls from very-recently purchased AA hulls ("Low-recoil") on a P-W 900. Upon inspecting the reloads I discovered that the act of de-priming some of the hulls puckered out the base around the primer pocket and inserting the new primer returned the pocket to its original position but slightly dished the base around the pocket between the primer and the rim.

The primers are not being set any deeper than they have ever been on this machine. and end up flush with the base rim. But the narrow area of the base between the primer and the rim is suck slightly. Shooting the shells (they shoot fine) flattens the base so that it looks like it did after it was first fired.

I'm wondering if Winchester has begun to make their bases out of a thinner brass that isn't as strong as before so that it won't stand up to reloading as well?

<center>[​IMG]</img>[​IMG]</img></center>

The base on the left has had a little RIG Sight Black applied to improve contrast. Although the extreme close-up distorts the image, a straight edge laid across the base will contact the edges of the primer pocket and the edges of the base.

Morgan

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check your depriming tool height. It might be down a bit too far and with the changes in the hull, the depriming tool is touching/pushing on the base as it kicks out the primer.

A newly inserted primer will be shoved up to its normal height because the P/W has a set height that primers are set at.

I've seen this happen a few times.

Whiz

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Thanks, Whiz...

That was one of the first things I checked. The tool is set as high as it will go; the shoulder is against the top crosshead and the punch extends only about 1/16" below the surface of the lower crosshead when it's elevated all the way:

<center>[​IMG]</img></center>

Morgan

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen something similar when decapping Win AA hulls that have gotten wet or have been exposed to high humidity and moisture. Some corrosion forms around the primer and the primer sticks to the case head a bit while decapping. It doesn't take much to cause it to happen. The primer body is usually made of steel, so it will rust easily. If there is a whitish or rusty ring around the primer before decapping, that is your answer. I usually toss the hulls when that happens. It can also happen when oversized primers are used, but much less frequently.

Other than that, Whiz seems to have the solution for the P/W. I've encountered that issue as well.

5. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I've seen it and on OLDER double a's too . I thought it might be because part of the base of my 900 broke off leaving an incomplete semicircle to hold the shell while it's being deprimed. Funny thing is that I only reload older aa's cause I dont trust the newer two piece base to stay in one piece. Out of eight or so boxes loaded at a time almost half have pooched out bases and the primer doesn't want to set quite deep enough but the other half reload perfectly--I got no idea what's wrong,but if they'll fit in my chamber I shoot them and then the shells are flattened as if they were new.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This may have absolutely nothing to do with Morgan's concern, but he's referring to a problem with the brass on a Winchester hull and I've recently noticed a serious decline in the quality of Winchester rifle brass.

Last fall, our son bought 200 rounds of new, unprimed 7mm STW W-W brass. The vast majority of them came out of the bag shorter than the minimum trim-to length for this cartridge and the mouths were cut off at an angle. To square them up would have required cutting them even shorter. He returned the brass to Winchester and they replaced it with 200 more rounds that were exactly the same. I thought they would have at least inspected the replacement product for the reported defect. They wound up sending him a check for $32.00 and a letter stating that they no longer offer brass or loaded rounds for that cartridge. Hoo-ray! Jason ordered 200 rounds of new, unprimed Remington brass from Midway USA and it was all right between the trim-to and maximum lengths with square-cut mouths.

I recently purchased 100 rounds of new, unprimed W-W .243 Winchester brass for my daughter's rifle and every piece was w-a-y longer than the maximum length for that cartridge and the primer pockets were extremely shallow. I spent almost three hours with my motorized RCBS case trimming and case conditioning machines getting that brass shootable.

"Back in the day," Winchester rifle brass was considered one of the better brands, although I normally used Remington just because it usually is available and it's always worked well for me. In Jason's case, he bought Winchester because he saw it at a gun show for a decent price. In Jennifer's case, I bought one box of factory ammo to sight her new gun in and use for load development and the only brand they had at the time was Winchester, so I intentionally bought 100 rounds of new W-W brass so the loads I developed would be shot in the same brand of brass.

You can be sure that neither of us will make that mistake again!

Ed

7. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

I had the same thimg happen when I was decappinig some rem STS on my older Mec 650 I found the prime are set tight from the factory and the Mec had a larger hole that the prime falls through and went you push down the decaper pin it pushs the botton of the shell through the hole befor the primer comes loss and case what you have I had to decap on my RCBS Grand which has a smaller hole and this fix the problem.Todays shell are not made like the old ones were the shell was bonded to the base now thay are just glued and the metal has no support.

8. RonC

RonC TS Member

I also get this on an occasional STS and AA hull. Justy assumed the old primer was too tight.

Ron

9. wlc

wlc Member

I have had the same experience as Quack Shot. If the hulls have been wet the primers may corrode causing the problem you've had. I now do a visual inspection and deprime the corroded hulls prior to reloading. I toss any that deform.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.