1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any regrets going to release?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by laura!, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

There have been quite a few threads relating to flinching and release triggers. I haven't had any issues (yet?) with flinching but have been considering switching to a release. Hubby is flinching but is resistant to going to a release. I was wondering if anyone ever regretted going to a release and went back to pull.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Laura: My previous thinking was like your husbands. I often said, "I will quit shooting before going to a release". Well it's a good thing I was talked into a release by a friend of mine or right now I would not be shooting. The release has made shooting fun again. I would never, ever, go back to a pull trigger for clay target shooting. Although I had a flinch, I also feel it has helped me follow through on the birds much better than when I used a pull trigger. Now, this is just my experience and opinions. You have to be the judge about what you want to do. Ed

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have talked to people who have gone back and there are people who evidently can not shoot a release. What I find amusing is the resistance to going to a release. I finally went to one primarily because of arthritis in my hand but it also eliminated my occassional flinch. However, for me it is a superior way to fire a gun and greatly improved my swing. It added 4% to my singles average.

People will buy $10,000 guns, custom gunstocks, adjustible ribs, combs and buttpads, shoot weenie loads, have 8 different lense colors for the glasses, etc., etc. yet somehow think a release trigger is a bad thing to have.

4. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

It made shooting fun again for me also..... ABSOLUTELY no regrets in any way. Wish I had done it sooner. Added 6% + to my singles average and 5 yds in just under 2 years. Before release I had never gotten a punch in 3 years of shooting.

Have fun and break em all,
    Darrel

P.S. I shoot release for doubles, skeet, and the occasional round of sporting clays. Have inproved my doubles average 3% and climbing quickly. Have broken 2 96's and a 97 (in doubles)since going double. Never close before.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

NONE! Long before I developed an occanional flinch, I tried a release trigger and shot a 24 first time. I found it easy but had no need to switch at that time so I stayed with my pull trigger.

I have now been using a release trigger for about 4 or 5 years. It took me a very short time to get used to it and I love it. Even if I could go back to shooting a pull trigger at Trap, I would stay with the release.

Also, I bird hunt weekly at least 4 months a year. In the field I shoot a pull trigger and have no problem.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

.... Regret not doing it years ago.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Laura.... I switched to a release quite by accident several years ago. I bought a Ljutic from a friend that already had a release trigger in it. I decided, just for fun, that I would try it and see what happened. Previous to this, I had never had a flinching problem of any kind with my pull triggers. Well, I took to that release trigger like a duck to water. It felt so good, and so natural to shoot, I just stayed with it. I tried to shoot a pull trigger last year for a couple of shoots, just to see if I still could. No way! I'll stay with the release. As for regrets? Not a one. Best decision I ever made in trap shooting, other than going back to a DB-81 combo.....Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

No regrets.

Ric C.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Might mention that I went to a release for sporting clays and skeet, and it works for those sports as well.

10. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Some of us either quit for a while or tried to find another solution. But truth is if you have a flinch problem the only way to solve it is with a release. Once you convince yourself of that you will find a release is really a great tool. I believe I would stay with the release even if I could shoot a pull.

And as someone stated above. I also have no problem switching to a hunting gun with a pull trigger. Many times I have gone duck or pheasant hunting in the a.m. with a pull trigger and then went to the trap range and shot the release without ever having a problem. - Jim

11. spritc

spritc Active Member

Laura, over a year and a half ago I started having an occasional flinch. I seemed to be able to manage it somewhat at times. At our state shoot it dramatically got worse and cost me a number of targets. Since I was shooting a Silver Seitz that was fitted to me I had no problems with recoil so I knew it was a mental thing. I had owned several Kolars before the Seitz and since I wanted to shoot doubles I bought a Kolar combo with release hammers. I installed the release hammer for the bottom barrel and I've had no problems with a flinch ever since July 06. I have no regrets!

Steve

12. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

sold the gun to get rid of one.

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Simone: That was one of my problems when I used a pull trigger. Numerous times I just couldn't pull the trigger. I am somewhat new to the release trigger. However, so far I have shot approximately 1000 rounds with the release and I have had no problem in "releasing" the trigger. Have I flinched using the release? Yes, and it was apparent to me why. I lost sight of the target, panicked and "poked" at the target once I found it. I have since held a lower gun and have had no problems since; as I now do not lose sight of the target when it comes out of the trap. Ed

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"But the flinch where you can not pull the trigger is the difficult one to get rid of and I was told that the release does not help in this case because the brain has not locked on to the target and thus will not send a message to the finger to pull or release the trigger."

That is really baloney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.