1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Recipe For All-American Shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I've got a bunch of old Remington All-American shells. Is there any recipe using Green Dot for these? What wads do these things take?

Are these shells even worth the trouble?

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

357, They were a great shell for a few reloads. They have a base wad that can come loose. I don't think you'll find the wads very easily.I think they are from the 70's. Good luck, Bob

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Throw them away--- I will tell you why and in the past I have loaded maybe 30,000

The base wad is just so hard on your loader and or your arm-- find a better hull

sometimes that base wad might come loose I guess

even getting the primer in is more difficult

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Presume you are referring to 12 gauge. All Americans had a black solid plastic base wad. I never heard of them shooting out, but that was pre-internet era and rumors and myths didn't spread a fast or far then.

The generation of Remington target shells just before the All American had a white base wad. Actually it was a white plastic disk covering a traditional fiber base wad. I heard one story of them shooting out.

Base wad was very high. Not too bad of a handicap with a MEC 600 Jr, but loading on a MEC progressive generally means the primer/powder drop station has to be readjusted.

Wads will be hard to find. The red AA wad or clone will work if you can find some of those.

Red Dot was 17.0 grains for 1150 fps, 18.0 grains for 1200 fps.

Let us know how you make out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.