1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any R/C Plane flyers on here????????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

This is a really cool r/c plane. Enjoy. Jim

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/VIDEO/B29.flv">

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yeah, we grew up and now we play with UAVs.

Thanks for the video. Now you know how the filmakers get all of their warfighting footage.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Some of us never really grow up!!!

Jim

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Yes, I am an avid radio controlled airplane enthusiast! I have flown since I was 8 years old and have enjoyed every type of model aviation there is, from control line to power, contract UAV piloting and most significantly gliders. I have won the national championships twice and was a member of the US soaring team in 2007. Three of us represented the US and competed in Luzern Switzerland at the radio controlled soaring world championships this past July, where we took third. I have been sponsored by Futaba since 1995, and have been extremely pleased with the equipment they have provided me.

This hobby of mine has been a life long passion which lead me to get a BS and MS in Aerospace engineering. I am the lead engineer at one of the major UAV companies here in San Diego.

That b-29 in that video is piloted by Peter Goldsmith, VP of marketing at JR. He is also an avid glider pilot and a heck of a nice guy. They supported the US team, along with Airtronics and Futaba.

Trap shooting shares many of the same qualities that are needed in a good pilot. Good vision and hand-eye coordination, along with the ability to analyze what you have done wrong and work to fix it in the future.

-Aaron

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i35.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Videos/skycutter1.flv">

I got tired of cutting my grass.

Jerbear

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great footage and equally great flying!! My brother and I played with RCs every now and then, including jets. The current fascination is with electric helicopters as one can "fool around" with them in a typical backyard.

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Use to mess with these years ago.Still have the old Mccoy and thimble drome.

Bo

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have 3 air worthy r/c planes. Just can't find the time to fly! Jake

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Helicopter now... had to go too far to fly airplanes.

WW

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Nitro stoclk car.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dave Shadel, operator of the above web page and world renowned maker of R/C plane engines is an occasional contributor here. Mash on the URL and see his fine stuff.....Bob Dodd

12. LMac

LMac TS Member

Aaron, do you know a man named Steve Helm?? Had the opportunity to meet him a few years back when they were holding the Nationals at Lawrenceville,Ill. He and a fellow from Japan that worked for Futaba came to our Local Airport to practice and got to know them there. Just wondered if you know them. They were flying pattern compition at the time.

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are there any RC sites to learn how to get into this stuff, learning , pricing, web sites etc. Very interesting videos.

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

LONNIE MAC: Steve Helms is a friend of mine. He gave up flying pattern a long time ago, and has been flying R/C helicopters for the past 15 years. We flew together in California. He is still with Futaba in Huntsville, Alabama.
    Dave Shadel was a world champion r/c airplane pylon racer. He's up in Reno now.
    The B-29 video is very impressive because scale airplanes are the hardest to fly, and the closer to scale the harder. Aerodynamically, they don't fly well because of a thing called:"Reynolds numbers." The other critical part is the radio link, and the danger of external and internal interference. The life expectancy of a plane like the one in the video is very short, and my guess is that it's probably crashed by now.
    The flying lawnmower is nothing. They're easy to build and fly.
    Electic airplanes and helicopters have become very popular in the past few years, primarily because of the improvements in batteries.

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I remember the old 049s and flipping the prop only to have it bite you. Then went to a McCoy 35 Red Head and 42 inch wingspan. Now that was in the late 50s and early 60s. I enjoyed building them as well as model cars and planes. Ray.......

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Hi Lonnie,

Yes I know Steve Helms. He gave me my sponsorship back in 1995. He was in charge of Team Futaba back in the 90's. One heck of a nice guy.

-Aaron

17. LMac

LMac TS Member

Aaron, thanks for the reply. I have some pictures of Steve when he was here in Washington Indiana. The Japanees fellow that was with him sent several pictures back from California when they returned. I knew Steve was from down South from the way he talked. LOL Really nice guys. I used to fly models a lot, but then moved on to Ultra lite aircraft. A friend and I built a single place Challenger together and it really turned out nice. We really got into Ultra lite flying big time. He has about three of them now.

dickgtax, Thankyou for the reply also.You are exactly right about the scale models. I attended the Mint Juilep meet at Rough River Kentucky a couple of times and saw some real beautiful scale models there. At the same time I seen some of the best crashes there also. LOL Seems those old fellows could really build nice planes but couldn't fly them worth a starch. If either of you guys talk with Steve tell him I said hey from Indiana. He probably won't remember me but he might. Back when I was flying models, Chip Hyde was the top dog.

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

As for sites..one of the best I found is rcuniverse.com. I have been flying them since a kid and am still flying giant scale. If some of the ole timer r/c boys will remember the grand daddy event of all time was always the Ida Grove Ia. event put on by Byron Goberson...I sure miss those days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.