1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any quirks with MEC 9000GN 12ga machine?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I'm thinking of buying a MEC 9000GN reloader for making trap ammo. What has your experience been with this machine? Is it good? Is it quirky? Any complaints? How durable can I expect it to be?

Thanks!!!

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Be sure the primer drops into the priming station hole on every stroke.

3. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

I second the primer drop thing,that is the only problem I have had with mine.

4. new loader

new loader Member

Every machine has quirks. Pick one & forge ahead. I use Mec 9000 myself.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

have a 9000g has all the extras is a 12ga will sell for $325 plus shipping - that is around $20 in the 48 states email me if you want more info and a photo rick

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The only quirk with my GN is the one pulling the handle! Lol. I've been using MEC's for a few years now and believe that they are the best reloader for the money. Since they updated the primer tray, it has all but eliminated my primer drop issues!

ec90t

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a decent press and my new one has worked well for three years. I have a bunch of Mec presses and all have, and still, serve well. The company is one of the best for customer service. I had a small issue and they sent me a replacement part at no charge. I got it within two days. Their tech support is decent and they actually answer the phone and emails.

My 9000GN has earned it's place on my loading bench.

8. ras1

ras1 TS Member

I've been using mine for years and love it. Wouldn't use anything else.

9. willing

willing Member

I second the primer issue and with me I think I short stroke once in a while.
    Great machine for the money.
    Bill

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Questor....I have been reloading on MEC's for over 40 years. Started with a 600jr for ducks and geese in 1965, now loading on a 9000H hydraulic unit I have had for 18 years. I don't have anything bad to say about MEC, period. I have the newer primer tray on mine and it performs perfectly. I really don't think it matters which reloader you purchase since they all do the same thing: They reload shells. Not one loader out there will turn out a better load than another one will. If set up and used correctly, they will all turn out a very good quality reload. Yes, some are faster than others, but they all do the same thing. Some are built better than others, and some are engineering marvels. They will run the gamut of prices from $150.00 to over $2500.00. Just find the one you like, buy it, and start reloading on it. The key to enjoying your reloading is to get familiar with your loader and how to use it. All of them have their own traits, and once you get comfortable with yours and how it works, you will be convinced yours is better than any of the other ones on the market......Just my opinion...Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, it's good. No, not quirky. You watch the primer drop & move to station # 2, that's all. I put a shovel-handle on my GN, which has allowed me to apply enough additional pressure that I've cracked 2 handles over the years, no big deal, $10 part. I broke a finger on a sizer, again no big deal. Over time (half a million) your press can develop enough stretch or tolerance wear that the deprimer won't quite punch out a primer, also no big deal, you slip a .050" (a steel washer's what I used) shim between the press and the deprime die. It's a bulletproof machine that you can buy with absolute confidence. Getting it first set it up to perfectly load your particular components is something you might ask an experienced friend to do, then you'll be good forever. Really. Phil E

12. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Good press, great price. You will have a spill or two while learning, then rarely thereafter. Put a cookie sheet under it to catch those spills. I have two of them! The nice thing about a MEC is that it is inexpensive enough for you two own and set up two of them, if you find yourself loading two different loads frequently. Thereby avoiding the hassles of switching things around.

13. JonP

JonP Member

I had a 9000 a while back and didn't like it that much because of the auto-indexing. I have 3 Grabbers now(basically a 9000 without auto-indexing) and think they they're great because when I goof (or the infamous primer feed problems mentioned above - watch it drop and position EVERY time) you can let go of the handle and nothing happens (no indexing forward). Then just stop and figure out what you need to do vs. trying to back it up.

I use a MEC EZpack in my routine so I have no need to have an auto indexer drop them in a bucket etc. and generally load 4 boxes in 12 to 15 minutes.

Don't overlook the Grabber. The last one I bought off of this sight by placing a subject thread of: WTB 12ga MEC Grabber. I had 3 to 5 responses within a couple hours and basically got a brand new Grabber for $165. If you don't know much about the Grabber I'd make sure it's newer version (762R or later I think).

For less than the price of a 9000 I have two 12 ga. Grabbers set up side by side to produce the the two loads I use the most (7/8 oz. and 1 oz.) I also bought a used 20 ga. Grabber for $150 to produce 3/4 oz. loads for real light skeet loads.

But, if your looking to go hydralic (SP?), then the Grabber's not for you.

Jon

14. Questor

Questor TS Member

Thanks for the feedback! I bought the 9000GN and really like it. As stated in this thread I did have a few spills while figuring it out. But now I've got the procedure down and documented in a checklist and all is well. This thing really cranks out the shotshells!

One bit of advice that I learned with my 20ga Sizemaster is that tipping the feeder back can create a horrendous mess. I tipped the size master back and ended up with about 15 pounds of shot on the floor. It took hours to clean up and I still find the occasional pellet three years later! so I always ensure that my hand is preventing the red plug from popping out when I tip the feeder back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.