1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any propane experts out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MGeslock, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I am working on a grill/smoker. I have a 1” pipe that is 36” long. I have made 19 cuts. I have used a hose and pressure regulator from a turkey fryer. The flames burn blue and it looks good.

I want to connect 2 of the burners and have 1 feed pipe. It will look like a football goal post.

Has anyone had any experience in building this?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The blue flame is a good thing = means propane/air mixture is good, and this is what you are after.

The EASIEST way to do this is with old burners from hot water tanks - easy to find and cheap (if not free).

What you are after is a balance between feed pressure and vaporization of the liquid in the propane tank - if you exceed this the tank will essentially 'freeze' the propane (you can link two tanks together if this happens).

Be careful linking two units together. Because the gas will follow the path of least resistance you can create a scenario where all the gas will flow into one branch - and none into the other. You might want to put valves in the pathway to each burner so they can be 'fine tuned.'

3. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

[​IMG]

This is what I am working on. I understand about the pipes being even. Will 2 or 3 inches make a difference on the balance?

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The only way to know for sure is to try it. Hence the idea if the balancing valves. It is not just the length involved, but the resistance to flow that matters - if one branch is significantly higher than the other you will get flow to one side only.

Old test: take a 'T' fitting for auto vacuum lines attach two balloons to it - one near fully inflated, the other just inflated a bit (pinch both off while doing the next part).

Place a third fully inflated balloon on the third arm (you need identical balloons for this to work) them remove the clamps from all three and watch what happens - you would expect them to equalize to all being the same size - NOT - the nearly inflated balloon will increase in size and the under inflated one will not change while the fully inflated one decreases in size...

This is what happens to your lungs if one is 'punctured.' Surfactant (a protein) acts to make the lungs equalized, despite in-balanced pressures...

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Where is Hank Hill when you need him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.