1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any problems shooting AA out of a browning XT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by olympicshooter, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olympicshooter

olympicshooter Member

My browning XT has brand new springs and firing pins in it. I am still getting a lot of misfires from Winchester AA shotgun shells. Any suggestions on fixing the problem without changing shells.

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Clean the firing pin holes out or try the top bbl.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how clean are the F pin holes? hoe about your hammer springs? I have never had a miss fire with my XT. but have heard enough about it, so I will make a good note if it ever happens.

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My son has an XT and no problems. I have a Perazzi and I would be happy to check a few flats for you to make sure it is not the shells.. Feel free to contact me to "test" the AA's.

Charlie

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you put your firing pins in, remove the lower, and re install it without spring or retaining pin. Make sure it is free in the firing pin channel.

If it is not, use a chain saw file and remove any burr where the firing pin retainer channel intersects with the firing pin channel. Also, you might chuck the firing pin in a drill and smooth off the large end of the firing pin with steel wool.

Re install and verify that pin has no interference. At this time, taking the other firing pin out and blowing the receiver out with brake cleaner is a good idea. Check the trigger pin. Sometimes, they will fall out and be lost. If it is loose, you can take a pair of Vice Grips and squeeze the LEFT end of the pin, to where it is a tap in fit in the receiver. This way, both firing pin retaining pins AND the trigger pin will come out RIGHT TO LEFT when needed.

Then, after spraying it down with a quality oil, (I use Rem Oil or Ballistol), re install pins and re assemble firearm.

If you still have misfires, but MUST shoot the Winchester, you might get some Wolff extra power mainsprings for your Citori. You only need to use this spring on the bottom (right) hammer. Save the second spring for your next service. If you still have trouble, it is time to swap ammo.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Olympicshooter,

Are these new factory loaded shells, or reloaded AA's? If reloaded, I suspect primer seating problems.

7. PFCSkoug

PFCSkoug TS Member

i had problems with Reloaded AA primers in my XT last year and along with a couple of other guys i shot with. The solution to our problem was to weld a very small amount of metal on to the end of the bottom barrel firing pin. That solved all of our problems

Nathan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.