1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any problem with new Feds in the blue cartons?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wahoo, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

I finally used up all of my Federal 209A primers in the old red boxes and opened my first brick of the Feds in blue boxes. I was intending to reload some once-fired Estate shells and immediately ran into seating problems. I use a Grabber and one out of every three shells would hang up because the primers did not seat completely.

I have reloaded a couple of thousand of this combination in the past with nary a problem of this type so I was really surprised when it happened. After finally getting one complete box, I cleared the Fed primers out and switched to STS shells and Remington primers and of course had no problems with primer seating with this combination. Is it possible that I just got a batch of Estates with undersized pockets? The Feds miked okay so they apparently were not the cause of the problem.

2. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I've loaded a lot of blue box primers in estate and federal hulls on the 9000G with no problems.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The steel non-plated primer takes more seating pressure, especially going into a non-plated hull, like a Gunclub.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wahoo, adjust your drop tube down a little and that will seat the primers all the way in. Hap

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Thousands loaded on RCBS "The Grand" with no problems. Wouldn't load on another loader again, especially the PW's. R

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you just put a bit more pressure on your tube, you'll fix that. But likely you will bung up the mechanism taht grabs the charge bar when changing loads. But those are best taken off anyway.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nope!

Curt

8. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

wahoo. What do you consider the right number to be when you measure a primer? Thanks. Stroker

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Like Curt....No problems whatsoever! Never noticed a difference except the new box and the higher prices.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Thanks everyone for their comments. I shot two rounds using the Estate hulls with which I had the primer seating problems. Brought them home and reloaded them using the same prescription except this time I used some of the two bricks of the old Fed 209 primers I still have on hand. My loads are mild, only around 1090 - 1100 FPS per my Oehler 35 so pressure wasn't a concern. Did not have a single problem with primer seating. To heck with it, I will just stick with the STS and Remington primers, life's too short to hassle with something that is of no earth-shaking importance anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.