1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any problem throwing standard Champion clay birds?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sshotshell, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Has anyone had trouble throwing Champion brand targets from commercial trap machines like a GVM Super Star machine?

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You can throw a Champion target many times through a trap machine.

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Yes, you can throw them over and over! One time, I won the league long yardage shootoff in November under the lights with a 33 vs the other guy's 32. I smoked heavily 15 of my 17 lost birds and won! The white dust literally rolled off them without visible chips! Tom Rhoads

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Get this !!!

Our club has Outers brand traps which is the same company as Champion. All of our problems ceased when we went to White Flyer's. Champion tried to convince us that if we spent several hundred dollars more (new and different parts for the traps) that we could use their targets without so many problems. I think Champion targets are great for hand set traps and the homeowner back yard traps but not for automatic traps---just my experience and opinion.

Save yourself advanced problems and go White Flyer now. I will also add that the Champions were much tighter to get in the holders on the trap.

Bryan

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You may want to take a look at Lawry targets. I know of a club that went that route (from Champion) and they are very satisfied.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The last Champion targets we threw I think were made from the bottom of the cement hopper. Good solid hits often resulted in targets pushed off line and don't think we ever saw one "smoked" from hdcp. Even good hits from the 16 seldom "smoked" a bird. That was a few years back but we haven't the guts to try again. I do recall, there was almost no machine breakage.

Big Jack

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You can probably use those things for tires on your SUV if you aren't too particular about the ride.

8. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Our club had problems with the champions, About every 10th one broke off the thrower. We switched to White Flyer and the problem was fixed.

10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Remington targets. I never see them anymore. I heard a couple years ago they shut down one of there plants in Findley due to a lack of pitch. I always loved how a remington target turned to smoke.

Todd

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We had to eat half of a semi load of Remington targets due to breakage when the pitch problem hit the target companies. Mid-West targets will smoke like a Remington. Champion targets come with a small hammer in each carton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.