1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any predator, fur and small game hunters here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wondering how many here are into hunting other than big game, upland or waterfowl? Predators, fur, small game or varmints. Even crows and turkey.<br>
    <br>
    My primary hunting preference is for coyotes and varmints, the latter being sage rats, fray diggers and rockchucks. I'm into coyote and varminting enough that I have several centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles, shotguns and handguns for this purpose.<br>
    <br>
    Also enjoy rabbit hunting, though they're a bit on the scarce side here, and many are totally nocturnal. I like roast or grilled rabbit. Have hunted the edible squirrel species, but have not found an area with enough squirrels that an actual meal could be made.<br>
    <br>
    Have turkey hunted too, without success. Oh, I've called them in, but every time I had one coming in, some whack job opened up on them from a truck, or ran over to shoot them. Need better locations.<br>
    <br>
    I like crow hunting too. Hopefully will have a good crow season this year. I miss the old days when we could use centerfire rifles on them.<br>
    <br>

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I like hunting for fur with Debbie and Richard in Baltimore.

3. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Brian, I started crow shooting when I was 15, I'm 56 this year. That is a LOT of reloads. I didn't get many chances to go crow hunting this past season. Too much work. Here in PA we can only hunt them Fri., Sat., Sun. We usually shot two of the three days in each weekend. 99% of the shooting is flyway. There is a pretty good size roost less than 45 minutes from my house. Probably 30-40K. Late winter it might get as high as 60-70K. Makes for some great shoots.

The best shoot to date, within the last 5 years is two shooters, 286. That is from around 3:00 to 5:30. The second best was 214. We ran out of shells. They were still diving in. They didn't start to show up until around 4:00. We ran out around 5:45. You couldn't touch the barrel. I kept a record for years but kinda got away from it the last few. I know the best year was over 2700, and that is only 17 days shooting.

Google up the Crow-Busters website. Bob Aronsohn is one of the writers and a really EXTREME crow shooter. He has 125,000 under his belt. he sent me a tape years ago and you should see this guy call and shoot. As far as the guys that think you need BIG 12 ga. ball busters, Bob shoots an 870, 20 ga. He is the best I've ever seen.

AJ100

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed Turkey hunting and rabbit as well as upland birds and waterfowl. Have done some deer hunting as well.

5. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

I hunt pretty much everything!! A ton of people have told me I am the 'huntingest MOFO' they know.

Squirrel is one of my favorite things to eat out of every thing that I hunt.
    Just got into predator hunting in the last few years and it is a BLAST!! I have had some great luck calling coons in the daytime also.

Brian; if you ever make it back this way I will put you on a turkey!!

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Predators, varmints and small game are my favorites

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I shot a coyote in my very urban yard a month ago. When I have time and the ground squirrels are plentiful, (they are like gophers), I can spend a very pleasant day in the boonies hunting them with 6mm, 243, 220 Swift, or 222.

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I hunt groundhogs spring through fall with both a 22 rifle and pistol doing pest control, and if it's too close to people and homes I have to set box traps.
    Yesterday someone stole one of my cage type traps. I don't have the time for recreational hunting much anymore.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Shot my first crow at age 5. We in years past hunted them hard. Then here in KS they put a season on them that intially coincides with pheasant, quail, prarie chicken hunting. Thus Iam not hitting them very hard the last few years. Plus several of our good roosts have been shut down due to idiots rattling shot off roofs and siding of nearby houses.

We still hunt coyotes, calling, driving and occasionally go with a friend who is a dog hunter. Also calling bob cats.

Shoot some squirrels for friends who don't hunt anymore but never really cared for them. Ate to many when I was young that had been into the hedge balls.

Still love to hunt and eat rabbits.

Now turkeys I hunt and I mean hunt hard especially spring but also fall till some of the other seasons get going. If Nebraskashooter doesn't hook_you_up I will if ever back here. We have winter flocks of 3 to 400 birds. They live where turkeys aren't suppose to.

10. M-16

M-16 TS Member

86 was my best year for fox's in Pa & some NY. my brother and I shot 490 grays and 4 reds plus many coons. My boss got made at me for not wanting to work overtime asked me don't I want money. Told him his $5.75hr didn't compare to what I was making hunting. Should of quit right then and hunted full time made more money hunting at $45 a gray. Those were great times not many people into it then in Pa. Now to many have missed a fox and educated them a lot harder to call them now. Plus the $$ not as good has gotten better but time is the problem now. Good thing not working for him any more or $5.75 The time to shoot them is when you see them.

11. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I like hunting/shooting the biggest varmint of them all......wild hogs (feral pigs).

JMHO

Jim C

12. trap906

trap906 Member

other than shooting a few crows, or the ocassional coyote while deer hunting, never really tried varmit hunting. I have done some fairly serious fur bearer trapping, {coon, fox, bobcat, possum and the like} I hunt small game and deer and turkey. I love to go hunt phesant. only been a few times, anybody got good pheasant hunting that would allow me to go. not many here in Arkansas...lol I have been to Nebraska, only in the southeast portion, good but not great numbers, would love to try Kansas

13. Flench

Flench TS Member

I shot this one at the end of July. I tried to miss him with a shot to the head.

[​IMG]

14. BL

BL Member

This will be my fifty second winter of hunting Wiley Coyote. Guess I have taken a few hundred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.