1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any plumbers out there, need some help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was at my mom's house today and the bathroom sink's hot water just barely comes out of the faucet. The cold water is fine with lots of water pressure. I checked the kitchen sink and the hot and cold pressure was good. Her other bathroom faucet was fine too.

I asked my mom when did the hot water pressure go down in that particular bathroom? She said a couple of weeks ago.
    Any ideas what is wrong?
    Steve Balistreri

2. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Steve- Same thing happened to my mother in laws bathtub hot water quit. Got a plumber out, and it was mineral build up. We are on well water, and it is hard water. Good water, but hard. He had to replace some stuff, under the house, and some gaskets on the valve. Don't know if that is your problem, but I thought I would offer it. Good Luck. Charlie Henderson

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Maybe the faucet is plugged up with sediment from the hot water heater. This can happen if that particular faucet the the furthest from the hot water heater.

See if the end where the water comes out unscrews. There's often a screen in there.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

4. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I might add, I'm no plumber. I changed out a toilet years ago in my kids bathroom, because it was limed up, and that cost me $5G's on a bathroom overhaul. Charlie

5. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Sounds like a piece of mineral deposit has broken free from the hot water heater. It just so happened to lodge in the pipe for the bathroom sink. Take the shut off apart and try to fish a wire back thru the pipe.

6. senior smoke

I will see my mom tomorrow and run a snake through her pipe. I am no longer able to bend down and change pipes. If the snaking of the pipe doesn't work I will call a plumber.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Steve

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Are the hot and cold separate handles? If so, there could be a plastic spline sleeve on the handle shaft. When those sleeves crack/split, the handle turns but the valve stem hardly turns at all. Some Kohlers are like that. Most faucet companies will send you new parts for free if its the valve.

Shut the water off, take the handle off, and see if the valve it turning. Sometimes the inside of the handle breaks, and the same thing will happen.

Wayne

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Close the Shut off, pull stem out of the offending valve, and crack the shutoff a hair. If you have no pressure at that point you might need to go back to the shutoff. You should have 2 shutoff valves underneath, and those are not usually of the highest quality since they only get operated 2-3 times a decade.

If you have a mixer faucet (most likely) the channel between the valve and spout could have some foreign matter partially blocking it. This is why you need to verify pressure into the valve.

I have had a pice of gasket material come loose and block things, easy fix if that's the case.

Gook luck.

HM

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Start with the easiest soultion to the problem, remove the strainer at the end of the faucet and clean the screen, if there is no improvement replace the hot water supply line with the new flexible supply lines it an easy job.

10. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

I had sediment keep clogging the aerator to my bathroom sink. It was crap from the hot water heater. I replaced it and everything went back to normal. It's a no win situation because if you have a water softener the salt will make short work of your water heater. If you don't the calcium buildup will do the same thing. The only solution is to flush your hot water heater every 6 months. Depending on where it's located that can be a PITA.

11. dss8110

dss8110 Member

If you need help you can call-David (Leader Plumbing)713-723-8780 I will give you a good solutions.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Steve...if you can't bend over, you are basically acrewed when it comes to plumbing. I always find myself doing my contortionist imitation in those situations. We renovate and rent out older homes, and what your describing is your typical old plumbing situation. You have sediment in the shut off valve and in the faucet. The fix involves standing on your head and getting under the sink and needing three arms and super vision and someone to hold the light. plumber time. Bill

13. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

You only have to know 4 things to be a plumber;

1. Shit runs DOWNHILL

2. DON'T chew your fingernails

3. Payday is Friday

4. Boss is an A-Hole

14. senior smoke

I'm at my mother's house and I was lucky to fix the problem with all of your help and suggestions. My mom and I thank all who responded.

It took me some time to crawl underaneath the bathroom sink and I disconconnected the hot water line. It was filled with mineral deposits.

I went to the local harware store and replaced the line with a new flixible supply line as Bruce Specht and some of you suggested. She now has good hot water pressure.

My elderly mother now thinks that I am a certified plumber. Only bad thing from me trying to get down underneath the sink is that I can hardly straighten up now as my back and legs are killing me.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for plumbers, electricians and people in the trades. My son in law is also a carpenter.

Thanks again to everyone. Like I have said for the past 42 years since being in trapshooting. You can not find finer people than in the shooting sports. If one of us needs help there is always someone who will help. We are all members of the greatest fraternity on Earth.
    Thanks again,
    Steve.

15. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Great work Steve!

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

16. senior smoke

Steve:
    Thanks, as I am usually not to handy.
    Steve