1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any pics of filled gap in k80/k32 trigger guard?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I'm having a K80 stock fitted to my K32 San Remo..What do you guys do for the trigger guard gap? Any pics or different ideas?
    Thanks

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Have been on that same Road ..many times. The Best is buy k-80 trigger guard and have engraved to match, been there done that. 2nd. choice, weld extention on existing guard..grind and shape to match k-80 guard, reblue, been there done that too.If you select this route..I would and have welded screw to front end as well..thus eliminating 2nd. screw..also been there. 3rd. choice..and only if you have access to Full machine shop and Lot's of Free time on your hands. cut and shape tail out of flat stock..machine radiused inlay to accept factory tang end, counter bore below existing guard to recieve factory 2nd. screw..polish and reblue, been there done that too, you to will have a One Off Part. 4th. choice is to fill area with black epoxy and sand and finish..looks like Ebony Inlay, been there too. For the time and Money spent..Please revert back to #1. GOOD LUCK...Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

sktshtr25 thanked this.
  3. flabigpapa

Most would agree...Way to much time on my hands..1st. pics of Grampa's ...Steven's 311..with K-80 wood stock..duel palm swell modified to fit, Standard K-32 trigger Guard welded extention shaped to fit. 2nd. pic's ..Dad's 311...with Crown Grade K-32 guard welded both ends,with extention shaped to fit. As ,Stated above..many Roads traveled. Good Luck on your Travel's..Shoot well..Shoot Often, Bart
    flabigpapa_2008_0303312.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303313.jpg

4. flabigpapa

And when you get to the part about..the K80 forend wood set not fitting the older K32 iron...just hit me up...been there ..done that..I have the fix for that too...Ah..what the Hell... You buy new style k-80 iron have it striped of the Nickel...have it Engraved to match the K32 San-remo engraving and reblue...And it's just So Happens..I have One finished ..No Longer Needed. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart
    flabigpapa_2008_0303314.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303315.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303316.jpg

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can just fill it in with plastic wood and stain a dark contrasting color like ebony and then touch up finish with tru oil or a plastic finish

the true oil is easier

Epoxy was mentioned but the platic wood is easier- just push it in there- coat the trigger guard with pam and put it on and press down and then remove after the the stuff hardens and sand to fit- stain and finish

Gene

P S - one of the dealers actually made little black plastic pieces to fit- dont remember who

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I have not had any problem with K-80 forend wood not fitting the K-32 metal. What's up with that? By the way, you can always just leave the opening in the stock as is.

7. flabigpapa

Early metal has a bit of a different radius, and the screws often are out of alignment..leaving a see thru to ejector trip levers, as stated above ..been down that Road many Times..if you have not run across these problem's...Lucky for You. It doesn't occur that often with the later serial #'s K-32. The San Remo that I did this K-80 iron for was a 4xxx series and was the Only way to use the Set of K-80 wood...short of remaking the forend wood to match butt stock. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

8. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

I had K-80 wood fit to my K-32. The gunsmith just used wood glue and sawdust to fill the gap and I bet you'd never know it. May be a testiment to a good gunsmith. I'll post pics of the finished product when I get a chance to take them.

9. englishupland

englishupland Member

Thanks for replys...The extended tang looks good, but it's already at the finisher and he doesn't want to do that...It may be something I tackle later on..It by far looks the best and is most secure..Any more people filling the gap with something?..It looks like that is what will happen this time around, and we are trying to get ideas..I said just black epoxy..He says I won't like it, and a piece of walnut should be made to fit in there....Looking for ideas before it happens..

10. g7777777

make it contrasting wood if you use wood

but yes you will like black expoxy I think- it will look custom

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. flabigpapa

Black Epoxy....Done Right..will Look like Ebony inlay...And Yes.. there are Plenty of Options..Pick one and be happy with it..or Buy the trigger Guard and be Done with it. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

12. g7777777

Notice that they went back to rounded trigger guards on the K20

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

Here's the pic of a filled in gap with sawdust and glue.

(Hopefully it works, new member and first try at putting pics on the site)

14. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

Here's a close up, it sticks out alot more in this close up but it actually matches the darker grain of the wood.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Nice job, but it's a good case for contrasting black epoxy.

16. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

No offense, but I disagree. I think it depends on the quality of the stock. If you're going to spend the money on a nice stock then why would you put a focal point for everyone to see. I think it detracts attention away from the wood. Just my opinion.

17. flabigpapa

No Offense Taken...I too would not want to have a focal point..Detract Attention away from that Fabulous Blue Finish and that Wonderful Screw Slot or that Wood Putty Patch. As they Say..Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. With that said..Let's everybody Shoot well..Shoot Often, Bart

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

flabigpapa, I hope that wasn't meant as a slam, cause I've seen Draht Guy shoot that 32. Better hope you don't have to shoot against that old 32 with one of your display guns. It won't be pretty.

PS...he's a wood guy.

19. flabigpapa

Setterman, I learned Long ago ..to fear the Old M-12 with the Blue well worn off it..and the Guy shooting it. Like I said ..No Offense Taken

20. fnj682

fnj682 Member

I cut, fit, and stained, a piece of walnut to fit in the space. Here is a photo of the results.

fnj682_2010_20014.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ebony gapin ts