1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Parents of An Only Child Out There?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just sent my only child, my daughter, off for her first semester of college.

It's really just for sorority rush week, but she'll be there all week, then moving into the dorms next Saturday. Classes start the 20th.

I know its her time to go, and she's ready, and I'm really excited for her. College was the best time of my life, and I know she's going to love it.

But I'm really bumming right now (but not as bad as my wife, who is a basket case tonight.)

Any advice for how to deal with it?

Tim

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Only two of you in the house and you ask people on TS.com what to do LOL!!!!!

jim brown

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Think of it as gaining control of a bathroom!

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

College and the sorority [in my case Tri-Delta] are great learning experiences for the kid. You will reconnect with your wife. You can again walk around in your underwear. Wait until they bring home half of the sorority to your house for a sleep over. Or the new boy friend. Best of luck on a new phase of your life. Fred

5. calilori

calilori TS Member

I went through that 3 years ago with my daughter. I sent her off to UC Davis. She called me the next day crying her heart out and begging to come home. The hardest thing I ever had to do was tell her that she couldn't come home for at least one full quarter. By the end of the week, she was having the time of her life. I'm a single mom and she is my one and only and it was VERY lonely for me at first. Crystal and I emailed and talked on the phone daily until we could let go. Thank goodness for the Verizon Family Plan!

6. thespan

thespan TS Member

Tim and The Mrs.,

I don't know where you are at spiritually, but in any case, perhaps, these words of Scripture may give you some help.

BTW, althouth I have 2 kids already through college and grad school, I still have 2 to go; the 3rd one leaves next Sunday and it will be very tough on my wife and me.

Regards,

Peter Greenspan

Phillipians 4:4-7:
    4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 3:5-6:
    5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My wife and I took the opportunity to sell our house and move but our daughter found us anyway - and she brought her laundry!

8. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Time will help. Look forward to seeing her grow and mature from your baby to your young lady. Good luck Jim W

9. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

birddogs,

Yep, did the same thing. Moved to a different town but she still found us.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Actually, Joe, I got quite a laugh out of it!

shootlow, AMEN TO THAT!

11. JRW

JRW Member

Thank your lucky stars they are going to college. 10 years ago I married the mother of an only child, so far we have been taken for 5 yrs of college. 4 of the yrs were at local school so she could live at home. All this higher education taught her live at home and let mom write the checks. She did get a part time job at local bank 8.00 per hour. Only 5 yrs of college. Please somebody pray foe her if anything happens to mom. Jerry in Mi.

12. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Tim......I too am a parent of an only child....a daughter. She is the joy of my life! She graduated, with highest distinction from Worcester Poly Tech....She then went on to work For Harvard University for 2 years at Beth Isreal. She was offered a PH.D program from 5 very well known colleges. She chose the Univeristy of No. Carolina. She is now going into her 4th year of her PH.d and has been accepted as a PH.d candidate. She'll finish before her time and then go on to her Post Doc. She majors in Micro Biology/Immunology .... Someday she might be saving us all from a disease that is not curable today. She has been published in the American Journal of Medicine and others and if anyone wants to check her out....google Janelle Arthur. What a proud mom I am and I know your daughter will make YOU proud!

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all.

Your advice and words of wisdom have helped. Well...most of them.

Prince o' the dark, send me an e-mail, I have a tidbit for you.

Tim

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I, too, have an only daughter. She's only 4, so college is off in the future. The mention of yours bringing home half her sorority for a sleepover reminded me of a funny story.

The guy across the street has a daughter. Back when she was about 17, she'd have gals stay over....the place was alive with young'uns running around in various stages of dress. I asked her dad how it was, and he said that he often just had to go for a drive, her friends would hit on him so much. And not just flirting with him, either...very overt and upfront about what they wanted, if you will.

I just hope that if, god forbid, anything happens to my wife, my daughter remembers to bring some friends home from college. I think I'll save a few bucks so I can have a pool put in when I retire, so her friends will have a reason to come over.....

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

This time next year you'll think back to now and kick yourself in the ass for letting her go off to college but you will love the grandbaby all the same as you wait for your daughter to come out of rehab ... yep college can be a grand time. ;-))

What college is she going to and what is she going to be trying to major in?

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Most, if not all of the comments have involved daughters moving off to their future. Is this the same for young men? Do Dads miss their little girls more than they miss their sons?

I have a bond with my granddaughter that I don't think I had with my son, so maybe it is true.

Danny

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Miss Yvonne ... please disregard any past images or thoughts you might have about me, unless they are good images and thoughts but may I ask you a serious question?

Will you allow me to marry your daughter? It has been a dream of mine since I read your message that I have always wanted to be married to a Micro-Biologist/Immunologist and this might be my only chance ... so how about it? Can I marry your daughter or at least get a good recommendation of some sort?

18. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Live it up while you can, she`ll be back, and you`ll lose your bathroom rights all over again. Mine leaves for her second year soon, praise be!

Tom R.

19. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Ha Ha Lumper! You better be a better shooter then me! The man that marries my daughter, I hope is her equal or better....He has to be her partner and her anchor. I hope every parent here guides their child to strive for a partner that will contribute to a lifetime of happiness, A partner that will allow the other to be their own person and pursue their own happiness. Most of us here have invested alot of time in our children....we want them to accomplish so much more then we did. I think most of us have given our children things we never had....and we expect them to excel with what they have been given. Tim's daughter will do well, he's given her the love of the outdoors and TIME spent with her. She will be our future!

20. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

M brother was an only child . Well He thought he was anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.