1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Panzer Tractor Owners/Collectors here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wpairishshot, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I know I know this is a trapshooting forum and what I am about to post here is not trapshooting related. I have a Panzer tractor, small garden variety that I use to plow snow, that has a 5.75 HP Briggs and Stratton Motor. As near as I can tell it was made in 1962 or thereabouts. The motor has started to smoke and I took it to a local Briggs shop and they told me it needed bored out. Only problem is there are no pistons to go oversize with this motor, nothing available for this model and year. I am thinking I might be just as far ahead to get a replacement motor according to the Panzer specs, I am sure Briggs has one available or the shop that bought all the original parts has an 8 HP Kohler they will sell. I know I can get the Briggs for a better price than the Kohler. Anybody here have any thoughts or maybe a motor they would sell me that might work? Thanks!

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You can have them bore it out and install a steel sleeve so you can re-use the original piston, I've done that quit a few times on larger engines

But it might just be cheaper to find a new one, but a steel sleeve will last a long time

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

catpower is on the track. keep it original and rebuild it. Sleeves are plenty good for that

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Did this shop actually pull the head and mic the bore to see if it was out of round?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just a FYI. The older Kohler engines are twice the engine the Briggs could ever dream of being. I don't know if they still hold that reputation or not. They were designed much better and the parts were of much higher quality. My first John Deere had a 17hp Kohler and lasted forever. In fact it's still going just not with me.

My point, if you go with a new engine, the Kohler may be worth the extra $$$.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You might be able to gain 10 thou or so if you knurl the piston.

My choice would be the Kohler.

HM

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Knurling the piston will also help with lubrication as the knurl depressions retain oil. However, knurling itself is not a long term solution, and it wears at a much faster rate compared to a new piston.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

might also have a stuck ring causing it to burn oil. Try something like wiseco piston company. some of those companies can make a custom piston at a fair price or might have one in stock. Make sure to pull the head and actually check it out for bore wear??? Try some JB engine tune up and spray it in the carb or maybe X66 from general motors. Might just free up the rings?? worth a try. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what kind of kohler engine does a 1962 panzer tractor have