1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any painters here?need help...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I need help with a painting project.With the holidays behind us and a couple of months to go before trap picks up again in my area my wife is pushing me to paint the interior of our home.I am having trouble in two areas of the house;the first trouble area is a dining room she wanted painted a red color and the second is a family room that is painted a burnt almond color.Both rooms were painted in Behr brand flat enamal and both are having what Behr calls burnishing(an effect that looks like you ran your finger across a chalk board and then on the walls).I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion that when I paint them again the new coat won't burnish.I have been recommended to try a higher sheen paint like satin instead of flat or a Sherwin-Williams top of the line flat instead of the Behr.Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.Thank you.

2. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Did you prime the walls before you began painting?

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Behr paint is a pretty low end paint.You can use satin,but you need to keep a wet edge or you will have roller marks.What I mean by a wet edge.Once you start painting keep going in one direction until the wall or ceiling is done.
    With satin if you have a skipper and go back to touch up later it may show.

I would use a high grade flat or eggshell.

Sherwin-Williams is over rated,and over priced.I use to sell it.

Go to Lowes and get one of their top of the line paints.Most employees in the paint section will help you out.

I have had good luck with Valspar.Stay away from Olympic Stain,it has a wet hide.Yes, they make paint now.

Bocephas

4. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

I have been a Sherwin Williams Rep for nearly 30 years. We have a new line of accent colors that resist burnishing and with a color prime system will be your best bet. See your local store. The Behr will in all likelihood have to be reprimed as it is old technology and can bleed through any topcoat applied. The color accent (dark colors)colors are more difficult to deal with, but are very popular. Watch for sales and get a good price. Nothing is more expensive than doing it twice.

5. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I would start with either Kilz or BIN to prime the walls--have the store tint it to the color of the paint you are going to use. I have done this in the past and the results were fantastic.

JMHO

Jim C

6. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,my house is three years old and was originally painted with three coats of Sherwin-Williams by the contactor but it must have been either watered down or the cheapest paint they make because it looks like primer now and you can rub it off with a wet towel.I have been painting Behr in flat enamel in lighter colors have been satified with it as long I kept a wet edge as stated above.I really did not notice a problem until I got into the darker colors...To Bocephus,would you go with a flat in Valspar?To FPBristol,if I keep the same color would I still need to prime the Behr?Thanks to all,Bill.

7. ajc

ajc Member

This is a timely string, as I just finished painting the interior of my folks home.

In an earlier life, I apprenticed as a painter. The Master Craftsman I learned from had a singular rule: "paint is cheap". Meaning, don't skimp on the paint, a call back is way more expensive. So, I always buy the best. Years ago that was Sherwin-Williams, and I've stuck with it. My folks bought Behr, surely because it was inexpensive. I thought it took more to cover than necessary, and found it difficult to roll out a wet edge that didn't show (this was white tint). Time will tell.

The other admonition I'd make is known to all craftsmen: it's all in the prep. You can use the finest paint in the world, but if you haven't prepared the surface properly it'll come out like crap. One particular room in my folks place took over 8 hours to prep---about 1 to paint. But, even if I do say so myself, it looks damn good now.

So, 1) use the best products, and 2) you can't spend enough time prepping.
    ajc

8. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

ive been painting for 34 years and for the record when it comes to paint you better do your homework as far as sherwin williams goes i use sherwin more than anybody behr we call bearsh**t valspar is okay personnely i would prime it with
    sherwinwilliams deep tint base primer and topcoat with duration home matte flat or i would us pro-mar 200 lowsheen on my house thanks if you know a good SW
    repep ask them are far as lowes home bdepot and menards they dont stand behind labor on there products but if your a contractor in good standing sherwin stands behind there products I hope this helps you R.W. Painting inc.

9. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Bill, sorry for the experience you had with your contractor. If the paint rubs off after 60 days of curing then I have no idea what he used. Even our more economical lines will not rub off after 60 days of curing. At any rate if you use the same color in the accent colors you will have to go back with the Behr to avoid priming. Even if we match the color for you there is a good possibility that the topcoat will still not meet your wifes' approval. We have a unique color prime system we match to the color accent topcoats that enhance the Color Accent appearance and coverage. It is a particular shade of grey in a specially formulted primer. Go by a Sherwin Williams store and ask for the manager and he will be glad to help you. AJC has it right. I cannot speak for Behr, but I have seen as many as 5 coats of accent colors applied (not Sherwin Williams) and still not look right to a particular homeowner.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

He asked for someone that knows something, not a bunch of dumba$$ s Behr is the best Interior on the market. What you have is flat and what you want is satin. just put the satin over the existing. Will take two coats
    I have never seen so many that know so little on one site

11. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

ricks1,glad you got things straight.
    I had a paint contracting business for 22 years.
    I also had a home decorating center that sold several brands of paint,wallpaper,glass etc.

We did church interiors,and sometimes exterior.We had seven painters that worked year round.

So I don't feel I am a dumbass when it comes to paint.
    If you noticed most everyone that replied to this thread gave a helping answer,not a (Smartass) answer.

Bocephas

12. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Consumer Reports says' Behr Premium Plus ( Home Depot)brand was the top-rated interior paint in flat and low-luster. It rated excellent for coverage,hiding and resisting stains. And at around $21 a gallon was also rated a CR best buy.I am not an expert,but stayed at a Days Inn or was it a Holiday Inn? Hmmmm.Hope this helps. George

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have been in various phases of painting for over 45 years.

All flat paints will burnish! Use an eggshell or semi gloss...incidentally...I use Behr in my house....great paint!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.