1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any other tall guys on here?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by berettagold53954, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i know theres probably nobody as tall as me im 6'7" but was wondering what some of you other tall people have for lop

2. berettagold53954

i have a pfs on mine thats at 15.75 lop seems too short yet thats another ? they say pfs is adj to 16" im assuming thats with the pad on they include

3. M Wayne

M Wayne TS Member

I am 6'5 And use a gracoil with l.o.p. adjustment and a kickezee pad. My l.o.p. is set at 16 an 1/8 with pad. This is on a BT-99. Mike

4. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

16 1/4" on an XT with gracoil

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm 6'4" and my Ljutic is around 15", but I haven't measured it since I put on the new KickEez pad....

6. trapp2012

trapp2012 Member

I assume the LOP on my gun is about 15 3/4 or 16 inches. But I have a neck unlike the average trap shooter. lol

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I am 6'3" and my LOP is 15".
    There's another fellow at our club who is at least 6'5" and he's got a Hilmer custom stock. I recall he told me Paul had a heck of a time finding a piece of wood that would allow him to give this guy the right LOP - I think it's 16.5".

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I am 6' 6" and if the LOP is not at least 15.5 inches, it is very uncomfortable to shoot! longer is better!

Al Lingham

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i am more inclined to go "up" as much as back - put at least 3/8" raise to your rib maybe even try 1/2". i take wood the width of the rib - taper in the back and play with it. having an adjustable butt pad to go up, helps also! a low ribbed gun is a pain in the neck--- ha ha!!!

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

6' - 5"...

LOP = 15-3/4"

Curt

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am not as tall as most here, 6' 2", but I have long arms. I shoot a shorter lop better than a long one. I Don't know why, but a short gun, while feeling short will still work for me when a gun is too long, it stifles my ability to move it with the target and I don't do as well.

12. berettagold53954

wow thanks for all the responses im shooting terrible this yr doesnt feel right wanted to see what a good starting point would be

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I am 6'-2" and a 16" LOP feels good to me. I have a long neck and the long LOP lets me shoot with my head up. Shooting with your head closer to vertical lets you look through the center of your glasses.

Jim Skeel

14. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Jim is right, the more vertical (naturally upright and relaxed) you can keep your head the better off you will be. Leo suggests this in all his clinics. He is 6'5" but he isn't the only tall one in our family....our daughters are 6'2" and 6'5".

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I am 6'5 and the LOP is 14.5, I have long arms but some meat on my chest ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am taller than many shooters (6'3"). I am very pleased with the adjustments available on my Precision Fit Stock. My PFS has all kinds of adjustments, I wish I could figure out exactly how much and which way to turn all of the screws on the stock.

Pat Ireland

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pat,

When all else fails read the instructions that come with it and eliminate the guess work ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I too am 6'7" and my lop is 15 1/4. That's pleanty for me. I try to keep my head up, not out.

Ed Yanchok

19. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

LOP, although it seems a simple thing to determine, in fact, is not. This is because a number of things affect it. For example, the stance used. If the stance is oblique (shoulders point more directly to targets), a longer stock is required. (If a square stance is used, more cast is often required.)

For tall shooters, there are even more flys in the ointment. Height is often accompanied by a longer than normal neck and often wider than normal shoulders. If a barrel or muscular chest is included, this adds another complication to determining the correct LOP.

Given: Shooting with an upright neck and head posture is best. The distance between the thumb and nose is a common way of checking the correctness of stock length - between 1" and 1.5" (two finger widths) is the common range. This is not without built-in problems, however. The separation distance does not consider the position of the head and neck and other equally important dimensional and shooting form elements.

A common 1" - 1/5" separation of nose and thumb can quite easily be achieved by simply moving the cheek along the comb. This of course, will affect the posture of the head and neck.

The height of the gun mount also affects LOP, although indirectly. When a gun is mounted too low, the neck has to be tilted or leaned forward to place the cheek on the comb UNLESS there is adequate drop at the heel to compensate for the low mount. This introduces the drop at the heel dimensions - is it adequate to allow an upright head and neck?

Assuming the neck has to be leaned forward to place the cheek on the comb, the stock would need to be longer to maintain separation between the nose and thumb.

Unusual height can be accompanied by long arms. Arm length does not always have an effect on shooting comfort but it can when other aspects of shooting form and stock dimensions are close to ideal. Then, the trigger-arm can feel cramped when the gun is mounted. There is no easy solution to this - usually, it is best to increase the LOP and alter other stock dimensions and the stance to compensate - a sometimes unfortunate compromise.

A number of things need to be considered before judging if the LOP on your gun is correct. First, is your shooting form. Is your gun mount at the correct height and position on your shoulder? Does it allow you to shoot with your head and neck upright? Is your stance correct and not require you to shoot your gun like a rifle?

Dimensions: Is the pitch on your stock correct so the toe doesn't bury into your chest during recoil, (which requires additional stock length to avoid unwelcome contact between nose and thumb)? Do you need some or more cast on your stock? Does the drop at the heel on your stock along with your gun mount allow you to shoot with your head and neck upright?

Finally, is your gun mount consistent enough to allow a slightly shorter LOP?

Rollin

20. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

5'7" 14.5 LOP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.