1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any other Marlin Levergun Collectors here??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CalvinMD, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If so what are your favorites and tell us about good outings, loads emories etc.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My favorite Marlin is my 1895. When Marlin reintroduced this model sometime in the 1970's, the first three years production had conventional rifling, not Microgroove. Supposedly Douglas made all of these particular barrels. Regardless, this gun is a tack driver. It has the straight buttstock and the 22" barrel. I used to have a fixed 3x Leupold M8 scope on it. It was an ideal setup for brush. I never handloaded for it. The factory Federal 300 gr SJHP did 1900 fps, and grouped so well that I never bothered with anything else. (I do handload the 45-70, but for other rifles, and with blackpowder.) I've even shot tactical matches against AR15s and M1As with this Marlin, just to prove a point that it's the shooter, not the gun. Took 1st in one match for short/medium range with it. Raised some eyebrows.<br>
    <br>
    The only other Marlin in my safe now is an 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. I bought this strictly for cowboy competition. Haven't done this in a while, but when I did it's stablemates are a pair of Navy Arms Schofields and a Winchester Model 24 in 12ga. This gun is also accurate, but not like the 45-70.<br>
    <br>
    I wish I still had my first Marlin. It was a 336C in 30-30, and had a rather nicely figured buttstock. As a kid I learned a lesson the hard way by keeping it stored in a fleece lined case. The case absorbed moisture, and ruined the gun. Somewhere I still have the buttstock.<br>
    <br>
    The only other Marlin right now is a 336 iin 30-30 from the 1950's. I got it cheap, and gave it to my kid to fiddle with. We're planning on making a 16" trapper out of it. He can learn some basic machining, and polishing/refinishing the metalwork, as well as the stocks.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sure, (2) 1895's, the old one's. .40-82 and .38-56, a '93 in .38-40, and .32-40, a tack driver. And likewise, a "new" 1895 (1972) with the cut rifling in .45/70...

4. CalvinMD

I like the bigger bores too...I have a couple of 35's..a couple of 375 winchester caliber guns..and my 444..all of them tons of fun to shoot and all capable of taking anything walking North America..even big Yogi's

5. steele

steele TS Member

My first rifle. Model 1893, 39-55. Still have & still use it.

6. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I'm not a Marlin collector but my first deer rifle (which still resides in the vault) is a circa 78-79 336C in .35 Rem. with a Leupold M8 4X. I love the gun. It's a beast with handloads using 180gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullets....been a while since I've loaded metallic so I can't remember the powder. This gun will easily shoot 1-1/2 at 100 using this load. And it positively HAMMERS deer. Never had to shoot one more than once.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

7. 5spd

5spd TS Member

My 1st was a Marlin 94 Texan (round bolt) in .44 mag., a Marlin 95 (round bolt)in 45-70 with micro grooving, a 94 in .357 mag, a 336 in 30-30 & a 336 in 35 Rem, (both round bolts)......Sold them all about 10 yrs ago to make room in the safe. I reloaded & hunted with them also.

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I only have one....but it's pretty special....one of the 1600 or so 336ER's chambered in .356 Winchester. Lotsa punch in a std. lever gun!! The .356 is a truly great cartridge that just never got going. My handloads push a 220 grain pill @ 2350 fps. Accuracy is outstanding.

Ken Rucker

9. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Love my 1982 336, 30-30, williams receiver sight. Redid the stock in flat oil finish, 1/2" brown recoil pad. Shoots really well. I'm trying some 130 grain loads with H335 and just cast my own 150 gr flat nose. I want a biggie and will get one this year. Humpin around the Colorado mountains is a lot easier with the 336 and the big mulies hang around the dark timber a lot anyway. Use 170 gr round nose there. All good.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The two funnest Marlin's that I own is a 336 38-55 and a 1894 cowboy in 45LC. The 38-55 is a great hunting round (Very flexible and pretty accurate), while the 45LC is a great plinking gun with cowboy loads.

ec90t

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

PA101_guy

You are spot on in that the .35 Remington puts deer down with one shot.

I presently have two 336's in .35 Remington. One is a 1968 336-RC and the other is a 1998 or so (I forget) 336-C. The older 336 RC has taken many a deer while the newer 336 was to be a gift but the conditions of the gift were not met. I hope the young man someday gets his GED.

The older 336 RC will shoot 1 1/2" at 100 yards with factory Remington 200 grain Core Lokt soft points. The newer 336 usually shoots under 2".

Both are dead on for the 1st shot at 100 yards but accuracy suffers when they heat up.

I reload the 180 grain Speer Hot Core with 38 grains of IMR 4895 (max load per Speer # 13 manual).

One of the joys of the .35 Remington is that you can plink with 158 grain .357 mag pistol bullets and load up to 220 grains for elk.

Although the .35 Remington is not currently recommended for game larger than deer or black bear, I have read many stories of use of the .35 Remington on elk, moose and similar game.

Bonnie and Clyde were shot up with Remington Model 8 semi-auto's in .35 Remington which was a favorite weapon of Frank Hamer and the Texas Rangers.

I have heard that early American WW I pilots in observation planes used the Remington model 8 to plink at the Germans as it was one of the few semi-auto's available at the time.

The Marlin 336's are super easy to clean from the breech. I even use a Stony Point bore guide (with the .675" collar instead of the stock collar)for cleaning.

I once shot an original pre-1900 model that had "Marlin Safety" marked on the top of the receiver. The advertising of the day said that side ejection (Marlin) was safer than top ejection (Winchester) if a brass cartridge ruptured.

If you add a low power Leupold (I use the 2x7) in low mounts, you have a real quick handling deer killer.

Ed Ward

12. CalvinMD

One of the fellows that has a show on the pursuit channel where one of the episodes was having his wife along to hunt big western Elk..she used the Hornady ammo in her 336 in 35 Rem to nail a really big bull at around 90-95 yards...she did an excellent 1 shot kill..the animal took 4 steps and collapsed...within its useful range,,..things die

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

leupold m8 4x on marlin 336