1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any other Club have a Station Zero or Station 6?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The most senior trap shooter at my Club, if he wasn't shooting trap, would take care of the squadding. He enjoyed the work, and when asked, "What Station am I on?" he loved to reply (especially to newbies), "You're on Station 6!" Well, after 43 years of membership, he recently passed away; a sad day for us all. In his honor, we added a Station 6 to our (single) Trap field and dedicated it to him. For balance, we also added a Station Zero. We're probably going to have some crazy double wobble games from those stations! Rest in Peace, Norm.

LA in MA

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

What a nice way to honor an old shooter who's probably bustin' 'em all and isn't being charged a dime.

3. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Hi Porcupine

That was a great way to recognize a member who realy seemed to enjoy making his club membership count. I didn't know Norm and I don't belong to your club but I'm sure everytime someone asks about station "0" or station "6" Norm will come to mind with fond rememberance.

It sure beats the heck out of a floral arrangement at the furneral home...

sshotshell

4. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

We had a league at the old Mather's Gun Club that decided to have a "Post 6". The idea was to provide another spot for the teams that had more that 5 shooters. The person on "Post 6" didn't move and shot the whole 50 birds standing off in the grass - your team got to throw out the lowest individual score. I volunteered for it, and after the first week kind of enjoyed it. To this day I usually have good luck with hard rights from post 5, and I always figured that was why.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm sure that you are getting smiles from Heaven as he looks down on that trap.

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

We did not have Norm, be we did have Woodson King, frequently referred to as Uncle Woody. We have a granite foot stone at the edge of the sidewalk that reads " Woodson King Trapline". Woodson was certainly one of a kind. Many of his quotations that were his originals come to mind such as :

You have not shot your worst score yet

If you can write it down, you can shoot it.

Woodson defined character. He was honest to a fault. He was an opinionated rascal but we all RESPECTED him because of the man he was.

Woodson probably would have been an All American but he refused to shoot the Grand because they did not allow you to shoot reloads. He shot targets right out out the house and usually smoked them. My buddy Bill used to say with admiration for Woodson " If you break a target every time that old man breaks one, you will break a lot of targets".

Fond memories of our friends that have "completed careers" helps to keep their influence alive in all of us.

Charlie

8. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

L.A.--How do you think Norm would score this? I'm sure he would have had some sort of formula. How about we call a 35 straight a "Stormin' Norman"?

Or... what if we throw out your 2 worst stations, so you only score 25 targets. Norm had a few days he would have liked that.

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

We tried a relay today using all seven Stations. On Stations 0, 1, 5 and 6, shooters shot four rounds, and on Stations 3, 4 and 5 shooters shot only three rounds. It worked, but was harder to score. Someone suggested that we eliminate Stations 2 and 4 when we use Stations 0 and 6. That is an excellent suggestion.

LA in MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.