1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any optometrists or shooting glass gurus on board?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Here's my personal info:

50 year old male, can't read anything under three feet without my reading glasses, can see things in the distance reasonably well, shoot with both eyes open, right handed, right eye dominant.

Here's my quandary:

While shooting a round of sporting clays today, it was pointed out that I was shooting to the left of everything.

I decided to pattern my gun. With the help of a noted master class shooter I discovered I have a problem.

First I wanted to see where the gun was shooting. Wearing my shooting glasses, I shot it like a rifle with the front bead on top of the back bead at a patterning board. As I stated above, both beads were fuzzy, but the target on the board was reasonably clear.

This produced a pattern that was way left and high. Two or three repetitions produced the same results. As I said, I could see the beads, but they were fuzzy.

After switching to my reading glasses, the beads were crystal clear, but the target was fuzzy. This however produced a picture perfect 60/40 pattern, dead center. Several repetitions produced the same results.

As I said, I thought I was shooting the same both times, however the results were vastly different.

Anybody got any ideas?

Here are some pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Update, I think it's some kind of eye dominance problem.

I can point at something in the distance with both eyes open, but when I close my left eye, I'm a little to the left of it.

If I close my right eye, I'm way to the right of it. Any ideas?

I guess I'll call my eye doctor on Monday.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need to improve the vision in your right eye. If you do that it will become your dominant eye again.

I would go back to the patterning board and shoot a few patterns, with left eye closed, just using right eye with and without glasses. HMB

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

It is most likely an eye dominance issue- PM me with your phone number and I will call you. Easier to talk than type. pk

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

I'm going through the exact same thing except my eye doctor told me my left eye is dominate and the weaker of the two.

Take a piece of paper and cut a hole in the center and hold at arms length and sight on a distant object and close one eye or the other to see which one is doing the sighting.

If I point my finger my right eye takes over but the hole gizzmo is always my left eye.

For now I'm going to use the tape on the glasses to see if I can shoot one eyed and if not then I'm going to learn to shoot left handed with contacts to correct my left eye. Take Phil up on his offer.

Jim

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Hi Jim,

I ordered Phil's DVD and will call him later today. I did your "hole in the paper test". I'm definitely right eye dominant.

However when I shoot my shotgun like a rifle, is where the problem lies.

It's hard to describe, but I'll do the best I can.

With both eyes open, I point my shotgun at a distant target. If I close left eye, I'm just slightly to the left of it. If I close my right eye, I'm WAY to the right of it.

Maybe I need to start shooting with one eye?

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I thought we were suposed to set up a gun to shoot were we are looking. I think we put to much stock into the beads being lined up,if you are a two eyed shooter, why not just look at a point at say 15 yards(with both eyes open) and set your gun up to hit that point. Good Luck John

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Hi JB,

I shoot sporting clays, not trap, so 15 yards won't work. There's no way to set up my gun to shoot where I'm looking. I'd need to lower the comb until I was looking at the back of the receiver, and over to the right about a 1/2 inch.

I think it's an eye problem, not a gun fit problem.

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Try putting some tape on your left lense of your shooting glasses and see it corrects the problem.

10. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Talk with Phil K. His new DVD has helped me. I believe this is something people like us will always battle, but there are things we can do to minimize. Phil has helped me in a large way with this.

Also, get help "seeing" (RX), this is only my thought, but you have to start with a solid base. Then PK's DVD Pays even better dividends!!!

Best of luck,

Matt

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

A little more info.

I conducted a few more tests without glasses. With both eyes open I see the sight picture on the right. When I close my left eye I see the sight picture on the left (where the gun is shooting).

But I'm right eye dominant. I've been checked and re checked. I need reading glasses, my right eye is much weaker then my left eye.

I think what was happening was when I put on my reading glasses, it allowed my right eye to become completely dominant again, and allowed my to see the correct sight picture.

My shooting glasses are non prescription.

I'm going to ask my optometrist to make me a pair of shooting glasses with a powerful right lens, and a less powerful left lens.

[​IMG]

12. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Brad,

When shooting with both eyes open, you are doing your pointing/aiming or whatever you choose to call it with your LEFT eye, regardless of what you think your dominant eye is. That is why you are shooting left of the intended target when shooting with both eyes open.

If your right eye can see fairly clearly at distances of 30 to 40 yards, then the easiest way to correct the problem is to put a spot of tape on the LEFT lense of your shooting glasses in such a position that your left eye can't see the front bead.

Another way to possibly correct it is to get a Uni-dot or similar front sight which prevents your left eye from seeing the bright front bead. This works for many shooters with your same problem, but it may take several shooting sessions to get used to it.

Easystreet

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I think your first paragraph sums it up pretty well.

No, my right eye is weak. That's why I that's why I think I need prescription shooting glasses with a strong right lens.

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Even with the right eye corrected for 30-40 yards distance, your left eye will still take over (in my opinion) unless the optometrist makes the left eye lense extremely blurry. You don't want that.

You still want to be able to see the target clearly with BOTH eyes, but you don't want the left eye to be able to see the front bead on your shotgun at all. The only way to do this is to physically block the vision of the left eye from seeing the bead by means of a patch (or something similar) on the left lense of your shooting glasses. Why are you so reluctant to try this? It's cheap, easily done, and effective. What more could you ask for......... besides a few more punches and someone else buying the beer? ;-)

Easystreet

15. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

You need to go to your eye doctor, you will find that your eye sight is off at a distance also, we already know that you need a RX for up close! You don't need to have your right eye stronger, just bring it back to normal 20/20. Once your eye sight is back to normal your right eye will take over again. That's your first step in getting back on track. When you get your new RX glasses, I would then recommend that you shoot several times to see what improvement you make! It would be a waste of time to do anything else until your eyesight is tested!I don't think you have a dominant problem as much as you have a problem with the loss of your sight! Your eye sight when restored with glasses will go back to right eye dominant on its own!

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Talk with Phil K. He has studied the dominance problem. Second, keep in mind that you can never see the sight and the target clearly at the same time. When you shoot the target should be in focus, not the sight.

Your last posted diagram is something that all people with normal vision will experience. Hole your right arm out and point at something. Then alternately close one eye and your finger will appear to move several inches. This is the way our eyes work.

Pat Ireland

17. otnot

otnot Active Member

Pat my eye doc determined my left eye was dominate by looking through a piece of paper with a hole cut in it at arms length. But if I point my finger of either hand my right eye is dominate. So this weekend I tried a couple of different methods:

1. Tape on the left lens.(worked the best as long as the tape was not too high on the lens so my vision was completely blocked)

2. Shooting left handed both eyes open:(right eye took over and I would have to tape my right eye.)

3. Shooting one eyed:(could not do it made me dizzy and could not judge angles or distance and all I could see was the end of my barrel.)

I don't think my eye dominance has switched but rather it has always been the opposite of what it should be but my eyes were younger and now that they are getting older they want to switch back and forth at their whim.

YSR try contacts, I got a set and you will be amazed how clear things become even at a distance. And if you still have a problem try the tape.

18. shark1

shark1 Member

Please go to an EYE DOC first. You need an expert examination, and then listen to the doc they should be able to correct what is wrong. Some eye docs are shooters themselves and just might be able to help you that extra mile. Call around and ask around that is the best way. You would not ask a chiropractor to correct your eye dominance. Would you?
    Mchael Sharkey, DC

19. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Talk to Phil and see the eye doc - see if you can find one who understands shooting - most don't. My eyes switch - It got worse after my cataract surgery - the left eye came out stronger for distance vision. I have tape on my left lens and sometimes I have to close my left eye completely, when it switches. A few things that make sense to me, but do what Phil says: 1. have your shotgun shooting glasses made up for distance viewing, don't do bifocals or anything for close viewing. 2. After you mount the gun, close your left eye and line up the beads or sight down the rib, then forget about the gun - open your left eye and focus on the trap house and the bird. The gun will follow your eyes. If you sense your eyes switching, close your left eye. (Do the opposite if you shoot left handed). This works OK for me in Trap, being you are mostly looking in the forward area. It is harder in Sheet and Sporting Clays because of crossing shots coming from the left - you have to start tracking with your left eye and sometime you are looking at the bird across the barrel. I look at this as a handicap that you have to work at to overcome. Billy Gross

20. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

There are a lot of shooting eye doctors. It would be best if you could find one located near you. Andy Davidson is in Tipp City, Ohio, his father was a Winchester Pro. Frank Rively is from N. E. Penn. he winters in Fla. There are more but you could do a search for not just shooting vision but sports vision as most sports require hand eye coordination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.