1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any one using a Truck Vault in a SUV

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nitro express, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitro express

Nitro express TS Member

I would like any feed back on Truck Vault products I have A Chev Tahoe and like to know the pros & cons also if you carry your hunting dog ok on top of them Thanks Tony B

2. BCJ

BCJ TS Member

Nitro express,

I have had Truck Vaults in a 94 Bronco, a 2000 Tahoe, and a 2010 Expedition, and I would not be without one. I think for a "SUV" you will probably find the single drawer most useful because you may discover that your gun case would not fit into the two drawer configuration. You may also want to consider getting the diagonal divider option which I liked since I generally kept my hunting guns assembled vs. broken down like I travel with my trap gun in a hard case. Once hunting season begins I Switch from trap mode with dividers out to hunting mode with dividers in. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Bart

3. BCJ

BCJ TS Member

I forgot to state that yes a dog crate will fit on top of the standard height vault, I am not sure about the "magnum" height.

Bart

4. hamm3839

hamm3839 TS Member

Use one in the Chevy Crew Cab for Trap and Hunting. Great people to work with at Truck vault. Best thing since pockets on shirts.
    Carl

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A buddy of mine has had a couple over the years and he loves them. His newest one is a lot better because it has bearing sliders on the drawer.

I can't comment on the dog box issues, but the people at Truck Vault should be able to answer any of your questions.

ss

6. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I have a magnum in my Excursion and love it. They also make them in two heights so the dog box could be set on top of the lower section and then a higher section alongside it.
    Pat Haskins

7. high 2

high 2 Member

I had one for years when we had a Suburban. They should be standard equipment as far as I`m concerned. Can be used for a lot more than guns. We had a lock go bad at the World Skeet championships and just about missed the 28ga event. Called the truck vault people and they put us in touch with the vendor that supplies the locks. They told us how to open the drawer and sent 2 new stes of lock next day air to us. Great product and service too. Larry

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you're at all handy using basic hand power tools, you can make a custom box to fully fit your Tahoe and your needs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple pics of one I made for my Explorer - fits snug between inner wheel wells, inexpensive to build with a power hand saw and screwdriver. PM for particulars.

Kind regards all,

Jay

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do yourself a favor! Check out www.Ainleykennels.com.Get a catalog. They will build anything you want, priced way better than Truck Vault.
    Ainley Kennels, Dubuque IA (563)583-7615

10. Nitro express

Nitro express TS Member

Thanks for the input and the different ideas this will help to give me something to think about. Tony B

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For half a hundred... you could make one yourself...

(1) 1x6
    (1) 2x6
    (1) 4x8 1/2" plywood
    (1) 12" piano hinge
    (1) folding support arm
    4x12' trunk carpet
    (1) can Duro Cement

regards all,

Jay

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I made one for my Jeep Wrangler, and I don't think I had more than $125 in the whole thing. And I used stainless piano hinges and sliders for the drawers, felt for the interior and a scrap carpet piece for the exterior..

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I just don't like my dogs that high up. The two level concept would make me happier. I tried a Truck Vault in my new truck and the dog crate would not fit. I also found that my '92 Suburban Truck Vault would not fit in the next generation Suburban. I will not pay that money to buy a new one every time I buy a new vehicle. Who is the guy in Shippensburg? I want to visit him.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have one on my Avalanche and love it---Not much room from top of Vault because of low top---Its a 2 drawer and everything fits for my trapshooting needs---It would take alot to get it opened when locked---Bought mine on E-bay
    for $500.00 del---It had a few stratches and nicks but a great deal---
    gL---MYSTIC---

15. Landshark

Landshark Member

I built one similar to Spitter's. I saved about a grand doing it myself.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Not personal experience but I have a buddy that has the truck vault in his '01 Ford 4dr SUV and he loves it. It's amazing what he can haul around completely out of sight.......Bob Dodd

17. clydep

clydep Member

They were to pricey for me.I built one for my Tahoe for $50 and it works just fine.Never take it out and haul everything groceries to hunting equipment to clay targets.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

One thing you better look at is where is the spear tire? If its under the cargo floor and your truck vault is on top of it how are you going to get to it if you get a flat???????? If your like me you don't want the cars that are going by to see what you have.

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Mine are all different; oak, cherry, walnut, spalted maple, sycamore... and yes, the dog fits on top....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Jay you have a PM......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page