1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any one use Red Dot for handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Lester, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

Wanting feed back on useing Red Dot for a Handicap load, 1200 fps. Thanks Lester

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I would go with Green Dot. I only use Red Dot for first shot doubles with a light 1 oz. load.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yes,
    STS hull, WW209 primer, Fig 8 wad, 18.5 grs. Red Dot, 1 1/8oz. 7 1/2's, = 1200fps. Works for me. Jon

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You can use any faster powder for handicap...

it's just going to depend on how much weight you want to push and how fast you want to push it.

MK

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

I use Promo and 1oz of 7 1/2s.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Red Dot for 16s and Green Dot for handicap. HMB

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mr. Lester:

Because Red Dot has a fast burn rate, it's not the BEST choice for 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz. handicap loads. Alliant has published data that will work in that application but they generate chamber pressures pushing the high end of the safe range.

Powders with slower burn rates (Green Dot and International Clays being examples) are specifically formulated for that 1200 fps/1 1/8 oz. handicap niche. So... if you already have some Red Dot, it wouldn't be 'bad' to make some handicap loads with it. OTOH, if you'll be buying powder to load the best possible handicap reloads, Red Dot aint it.

sissy

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why not? There are published loads for 3 dram, 1 1/8 ounce loads with Red Dot.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Because Sissy is correct.

SH!T happens. I never load to maximum pressures when there is an alternative.

Promo/Red Dot are great powders but not the best for 1200 fps, 1 1/8 oz loads.

Don Verna

10. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

All other things being equal, a given recipe in a straight-walled hull like Federal Paper will yield lower pressures than in an STS or AA hull. I don't know of any exceptions to that rule. Anyway, I agree that there are better choices for 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps loadings than Red Dot (in STS or AA Hulls). Pressures will be close to maximum allowable.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Dverna - What makes them "better"?

12. Recoil Sissy

Mr. Lester and all:

Powders (for the record, they are actually propellants) are purpose built. Each is formulated to be ideal for a specific application. Red Dot's ideal niche is light trap loads. Light isn't 1 1/8 oz. at 1200 fps. Don't take my word for it. You can read about Red Dot, Green Dot, etc. on Alliant's website. The Hodgdon site covers Clays, International Clays, et. al.

When I say, "Green Dot is a BETTER choice for handicap loads" it is because Alliant says it is so. With respect to those who wish to argue the issue, I'll take Alliant's word for it. They manufacturer powders by the train load and have been around a LOT longer than bluedevil or any other individual shooting today.

sissy

PS: FWIW, there's a fair amount of patterning data that supports Green Dot as the superior powder for handicap loads. Maybe someone will post links for you.

13. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I use RedDot for everything and it works well, also cuts down on decision making when loading, one recipe fits all, high score in singles is 99, caps is 95 dbls is 86, only been playing this game for 29 months. Woody Sullivan

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Green Dot will give you a softer shooting load, because of the slower burn rate. Red Dot is the only powder I have used since I started reloading 20 years ago. With that recipe I have above I have never had a shell with weak or non-ignition. Broke targets out to seventy yards in Annie Oakleys. This recipe is at Alliants reloader guide web page. Burns clean with no residual unburnt powder.

Edited for Sissy: Easy Bud. He asked for feedback on a Red Dot, at 1200 fps., handicap load, not for the best load to use in our opinion, or Alliants. I am thinking he has some Red Dot powder there and he wants to know if anyone uses this for handicap loads, and what the results are. I would hope he would have worded his main line on the thread to say " What is the best reload recipe to use for handicap". I am not looking to argue with anyone. Jon

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"Better is the enemy of good enough."

16. Recoil Sissy

Stl Flyn:

Mr. Lester didn't ask for a Red Dot recipe. He asked for feedback. I didn't provide MY opinion of the best load application. I gave him Alliant's.

sissy

17. 3357

3357 Member

I use Red Dot for my 1 oz loads at 1200. I prefer Green Dot for my handi-cap loads of 1 1/8 oz at about 1235 fps. I find the green dot a little softer shooting and I am more comfortable with the lower pressure. The short answer is no. Jess

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Forgive me Mr. Lester. I can't give you any feedback on Red Dot for handicap. I shoot new ammo for handicap. Usually, and preferred, I use 3 dram, 1 1/8 ounce. I don't know why a Red Dot handload at equivalent velocity and shot quality wouldn't perform as well.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hercules/Alliant years back stated that more 100s in ATA were shot with Red-Dot powder than any other make of powder. I don't doubt that still holds true today also. Federal has always been a fan of blending Red-Dot in lots of their ammo especially their paper hull shells.

I've used Green-Dot/Red-Dot since the 60s and both get the job done anywhere on the trap range. I know most of my 100s were while using Red-Dot powders so why change a good thing?

Alliant has some of the original Red-Dot powder formulated over a hundred years ago and it still works as intended and they test it about every year. For trap targets, it's hard to beat!

Hap

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Remember that TV ad, Baseball - Hotdogs - Apple Pie & Chevrolet?
    Insert the names Red dot, Federal papers, Hoppes #9, these three products helped trapshooting become the greatest sport on earth. You just can't do any better. I use Red dot from 16 yard, handicap, all the way back to shoot from the grocery store a half block from the gun club. Enough said.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a good reload for handicap trap

best greendot reload handicap reload

don zutz green dot

greendot handicap loads

red dot handicapp

red dot trap handicap loads

red dot trap loads