1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any one try loading 3/4oz ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 33rocks, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33rocks

33rocks TS Member

Looking to see if any of you reloading gurus have dabbled with loading 3/4 oz in the 12ga ? I am looking to introduce some potential new shooters to the clay tagret sports and would like to make it as easy on them as possible. I do have all the gauges but a heavy 12ga with an ultra-light load might be the best bet I thought. I have all kinds of wads and: Clays,American Select, 700x,
    International,PB and just picked up some AA Lite. Any load suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I have loaded a few 3/4 oz. 12 ga. for my daughter and they are pretty fun at the 16 yrd. I use Gun Club hull, noble sport primer, 14.5 gr Titewad powder, Claybuster CB0178-12 (WAA12L rep), 3/4 oz. 8's and top it off with a wheat puff.

As always, use a scale follow the directions and load at your own risk.

Tumblweed

3. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

3/4 oz. is all I've been shooting from 16 yds. It inkballs targets from my 1100 T. I use remington STS hulls 16.4g clays powder a Federal 12SO wad with a win 209 primer. It even cycles my 1100. Have fun Mike.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Same experience as Mike but am using the Downrange DRXXL pink colored 7/8 oz. wad with great results and it cycles my 1100 also.

5. JonP

JonP Member

As above, Drown Range XXL bright pink wad in a Gun Club hull 16.5 to 17 gr Promo and a Nobel Sport primer - it's about as low recoil and cheap as you get.

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I began loading 3/4 oz loads about two years ago using Clays. It worked well. I later changed to Promo and it worked well also but cheaper. I used the Gray CB wad but recently have used the pink DR wad. Either wad is fine.

If you like the 3/4 oz load you will love the 5/8 oz load I started loading a couple months ago. Promo powder with the same wads above works well with this load. It breaks clay targets with authority at 16 yards.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you go that low in shot weight consider using 8 1/2 shot. I have had good luck with it at the 16 yard in a 7/8 oz load. Winchester or CB clone 7/8 oz wad and 16 gr of Clays. With 14 gr of Clays it about duplicates the AA FL (Featherlight) load.

There is loading data as well for the new AA Lite powder that came out this year and is ideal for light 12 ga loads.

Don

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

Warning- do not shoot these loads at trap. If you do, some dolts will consider you a sandbagger. Read and heed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.