1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any one shoot a Kolar?? T/S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dugtrap, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dugtrap

dugtrap TS Member

Hi,
    Iam thinking about buying a new Kolar T/S and wanted some input of others. There are not many of them. I dont know if that is a bad thing. It seems at my club no one shoots A KOLAR it looks like a very well built gun, no that pretty but built like a tank. Thanks for any input

2. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I would suggest you look at a unsingle tc or max. That way if you want to shoot doubles you can.I have a TC combo and really like it.Below in the for sale section, look at Aaron's sale thread(Kolar guns for sale by Aaron)he has a nice used combo for sale.Good luck.

3. Mike

Mike Member

In Tenn, Mitch Loveless (current All Around Grand American Champ) is also a Kolar distributor, he's a great guy to deal with and knows how to shoot!

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have been shooting a Kolar T/S for 5 years now. Not one problem. About 50,000 rounds. Best gun I have ever had. Got it fitted right at the factory and never changed a thing.
    Glenn

5. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

The best gun I ever owned! bought it used and just starting smoking the targets. I cried when I had to sell it. With me being in a chair, the weight of the gun was just to much and I starting having shoulder problems. I haven't found a lighter gun that shoots like it.

Thad

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Certainly one of the top five trapguns made. Very reliable
    but a little on the heavy side.

7. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

you get what you pay for I have owened a new combo for about two months now it shoots great Little or no recoil great triggers I shoot a double release and they are bullet proof I know a gentleman who just put his up for sale older gun manny extras 7750.00 said he would take trades many choke tubes release blocks pulls in right now but it is a great buy and would last a shooter a lifetime I can get info if your interested 503 312 9619

8. 3357

3357 Member

They are reliable and built to last. They are heavy. Try before you buy. I had a problem with a long firing pin piercing primers on all types of shells when the gun was new. Kolar would only sell me another pin unless I shipped the entire gun to them. Since the original pin was cooked, I bought the new firing pin ($24) and shortened it a couple of thousandths and all has been good since.

9. Kolarshtr

Kolarshtr TS Member

If you are a weenie-armed wimp do not consider buying this shotgun. If however you think you will be able to swing a less than ten pound piece of American Made perfection then by all means purchase the best made and best shooting gun made anywhere. And if you do purchase it and happen to have it in your hand when they start playing the "Star Spangled Banner" you will have something in your hands that wasn't manufactured by one of our former enemies.

10. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

There is a nice ts in the Sale thread as well! LOL

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I owned a Kolar max t/a and liked it very much. The only thing I didn't like about it is they are heavy. In shoots the more I shot it the shittier I got because I was getting tired. AS far as me being a weenie arm, I doubt it. You can say what you want about peoples arms but the truth to the matter is they are heavy and you will notice it the more rounds you shoot at a shoot. I about forgot the other thing I was not to fond of is there resale is in the tank. I don't know why but they take forever to sale even on here unless you give them away and most have to to move them. I was pretty happy to see mine go with all things considered. Good luck with your choice.

12. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I have a Max T/A, and I love it. It's not light, by any means, but the weight helps me with the tracking and the recoil. To alleviate effects of the weight, I use a Gun Buddy to rest the gun between shots, which helps significantly.

If you do end up buying it new, consider spending a little more and fly to Racine to have it fitted to you. I did, and it was the experience of a lifetime. Jeff and crew are simply wonderful. You pick out the wood, you watch it created before your eyes, you even end up shooting it at the end of the day. Only drawback is that the 10-12 weeks waiting for them to finish it seem to pass by awfully slowly. But it's worth the wait.

When you do have them make it just for you, you're marrying the gun. I can see the resale value going South for a stock custom fitted to you, especially if you're not "average" in build. OTOH, if you're not average, you'll FINALLY get to shoot something that feels made for YOU. Because it was.

13. mooney

mooney Member

Had one once. Nice shooting gun, but the triggers (release) kept getting light. All I had to do was take a breath to call pull and the gun went off. I didn't get a great return on the investment either.

mooney-Glenn Wedding

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Several reasons to buy Kolar.....

Overengineered at every turn. Built like a tank. A little heavier than other guns ..yes, but extremely low felt recoil. Jeff and Keith are the poster children for customer service. It'd take all night for me to extol the virtues of their expertise. Been shooting a Kolar combo since 04'. It carried me to the 27.

Also I'd echo what ms_yuan said about getting it fitted at Kolar.

Simply put...shoot one as soon as you can. American made, by shooters, for shooters.

Good luck

15. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I went to Racine 2 years ago to be fitted and purchase my Kolar T/S. Best decision I have ever made and not looking back. The gun fits perfectly (thanks Jeff!) I got to pick out the wood blocks my stock and forearm were manufactured from and actually pressed the button on the machine that started converting my selected block of wood to an actual stock.

Yes, it was alot of money but once again after I received my gun, it just reinforced what a great decision I had made. Also, this gun is Made in the USA by a company that embody's what customer service means.

Also, when the time comes for me to want to shoot doubles, I can order the barrels from Kolar and it will fit my current receiver.

Prior to purchasing I heard the arguments about how heavy the gun is - something I don't notice as the weight seems exactly right to me.

Best of luck to you in your quest and I hope you end up in Racine!

16. red hammer

red hammer Member

The biggest mistake I ever made I bought a legend kolar I personal showed it to the owner of kolar he told me the gun was 24000.00 I bought it and the barrels don't impact the same sent it back to kolar had to Pay to have it fixed got it back they still don't impact the same tried to trade it in on Perazzi and they would only give 9000.00 trade in if you buy one ou can never get your money back maybe 50 percent nobody wants them and the owner of kolar is the biggest piece of crap I have ever meet . All youve heard is the good story's try to sell one and you will lose your ass. I've never seen a gun go down in value as a kolar I would not give 500.00 for a bus full of prestige kolars if you don't be leave me call any gun dealer and try to trade one in just make up something up and you will see .they want give nothing for one but if you got to have one I got one of the prettiest kolars around and can't even give it away .i would be glad to sell it to you also the owner told me to my face it was worth 24000.00 dollars six months later 14000.00 the same man owner I have no respect for him . I can take a beretta 391 and shoot circles around a24000.00 dollar gun that is sad. KOLAR sucks

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Red Hammer,

How courteous of you to come on here and run off at the mouth. I suspect if you approached the good folks at Kolar like you have here then thats a major part of your problem.

As for your statement about "never get your money back, maybe 50 percent" if you have ever traded cars, trucks or other brands of guns then you'd know how this all works. ALL items have a certain depreciation factor.(de-pri-ce-a-shun....means worth less than you paid for it) So maybe you should put the Kolar up for sale on here, I'm relatively sure it hates you as well, and take that Beretta 391 and we'll be watching for you in the winners circle at the next Grand.

PS: you really need to learn some manners and a spelling lesson wouldn't hurt either.

Your pal,

Dave

18. red hammer

red hammer Member

If you want to know more just email me Don't Buy one you will be sorry when you try to sell I promise you from some one who has been around guns and can shoot one also.buy one only if you want it for ever ask the people who are selling them how much they paid for them and I bet they are taking a beating on it .try me I would not lie to you I don't like getting taken but I did .wish I would had bought a Perazzi I knew better at least the barrels would shoot the same. Guess you know how I feel you will remember me I told you so...

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I can't agree with these guns being heavy. They feel way too light for my taste. A friend who bought one new has THREE barrel weights on it, and has had issues with broken parts, which HE had to pay for.

Buying a new Kolar does seem to be a bad investment. $3K-$4K is the going rate for used Sporters in Middle Tenn.

20. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

The coaches daughter of our AIM team now uses one, a slightly older model. She is 13 and a small girl, she went from shooting a 1 or 2 out of 25 to her new average of 17 / 25. They must be magical!!!!! Either that or she was sand bagging until her dad gave it to her. I would be way impressed if that was what she actually did. LOL Women always get what they want especially from their dads.

Not an answer but a cute story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.